PDA

View Full Version : Curve Jig -Internal and External

damienhazo
3rd May 2006, 10:42 PM
I love jigs! They're bloody brilliant once you've made 'em up and they're making your life easier! I built the following 3 jigs for a chest I wanted to build but have since used them on other projects. I thought you guys might be interested in having a look...

JIG 1 - THE INSIDE CURVE:
The jig on the left is the inside curve of a 400 mm ring 20 mm thick. Not only do I used it to rout the inside curve, but I also use it to mark out the inside cut before roughly cutting the form with the bandsaw. The edges in the pics look a bit jagged, but they were created from a centre-point-mounted workpiece passing a straight flute bit - and are perfectly round.

JIG 2 - THE OUTSIDE CURVE:
The jig on the right is the outside curve of a 400 mm ring 20 mm thick. Once the inside has been routed with the jig on the left, I place the wood on this jig. From behind, I mark the outside curve with a pencil. It's then back to the bandsaw to trim up as much as possible. (Bandsaw blades are a lot cheaper than trimming bits!)
Then the piece is attached to the jig on the right. The outside curve is then routed. I do of course make the all insides and then all the outsides to save time...

23113 23114

JIG 3 - THE ENDS:
This last jig makes it easy to make end cuts that are always angled back to the centre. Makes it easy to join them.

A FEW EXAMPLES:

23116 23117

I haven't been a member long so I'm not sure if I've copied someone else's idea. Sorry if I have - hope this inspires someone if I haven't!

Damien

damienhazo
26th May 2006, 11:00 AM
Wow Damien, those jigs are REALLY great! You truly are a routing god!

Despite the fact that no-one gave a FF for my jigs, I'm posting the new one I built to rout in the verticals:

24048 24049 24050 24051

But please, don't swamp me with compliments this time. Anyone who's knows my posts also knows that I'm a modest, humble and very shy individual.

Damien

CameronPotter
26th May 2006, 11:07 AM
I missed the first post (must have been due to the number of bumps it received)...

Good work.

Looks like it could save a fair bit of time!

Cam

zenwood
26th May 2006, 03:32 PM
I'm not a big router user, but I like what you do with yours. Good stuff.

MajorPanic
26th May 2006, 06:12 PM
Bloody hell Damien!!

These jigs are fantastic! http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif

I like the last jig you built to route the vertical pieces in. Well deserved greenie!

damienhazo
26th May 2006, 09:35 PM
Ahhh... There is no finer feeling than the compliments of those who appreciate what goes into a project (except perhaps the kinky stuff my German girlfriend does if I catch her in the right mood)

Thanks guys.

Damien

bookend
27th May 2006, 03:36 AM
Great work! Post some more pics of the work you do with them.

See if your girlfriend will model alongside them.

routermaniac
27th May 2006, 04:46 PM
nice one damien, I like the jigs and I like the end product

Wild Dingo
1st July 2006, 03:10 AM
Wow Damien, those jigs are REALLY great! You truly are a routing god!

I echo those words!... Wow Damien, those jugs are REALLY great! Your German girlfriends norks are truely routing good!... damn those meds!! :o I meant to say Wow Damien, those jigs are REALLY great! You truely are a routing god... whew! someone buggered my thinkin up mentioning your German girlfriend and some kinky stuff and modellin sorta set my brain to spinnin :o Sorry mate ;)

Despite the fact that no-one gave a FF for my jigs,

Now thats not quite right ol son I just said your a friggin routing god for cryin out loud!! strewth some fellas just cant get enough accolades can they? :rolleyes:

Anyone who's knows my posts also knows that I'm a modest, humble and very shy individual.

Damien

And now whos meds are too high mmmm??? :p

Well done mate! that circle one is gonna be builded the first chance I get! :cool: Cheers!

chrisc
5th August 2006, 06:02 AM
hi Damien, any ideas for a jig for a pie crust edge on a 18" round table? love the jigs i've seen so far!! keep it up

inferno6688
5th August 2006, 09:01 AM
WOW, what great jigs! :D

they are pretty handy!
i dunno we wnted to know that much info about ur kinky gf!! :D

BobL
5th August 2006, 12:48 PM
hi Damien, any ideas for a jig for a pie crust edge on a 18" round table? love the jigs i've seen so far!! keep it up

Can you show us a picture of what you mean by pie crust?

Clinton1
5th August 2006, 04:45 PM
Can you show us a picture of what you mean by a kinky German girlfriend?

:D

If I had a router (and wasn't scared of it) I'd know that YOUR A BLOODY ROUTER JIG GOD! Only a true QLD'er would know how to make jigs like that - bloody good work!

chrisc
5th August 2006, 08:33 PM
http://www.mahoganyfurnitureonline.com/Products/Tables/Enlarged/pie.jpg i've got the pattern but need to route inside after bandsawing outer. cheers.

Harry72
6th August 2006, 09:13 PM
Where's this thread been hiding!

Good jiggin Damo.

damienhazo
21st August 2006, 09:23 PM
Hi Chris,

Do you want to remove the stock on the inside before hand carving the bead work? Let me know exactly what you want to achieve and I might be able to help.

I do have a special jig but Trend is taking a look at it at the moment to see if they want to adopt it for next year's product line-up... If they knock it back - which they probably will - I'll do a thread on it here...

Damien

MasterWorker
22nd August 2006, 09:38 AM
I realy like the jig you have created!! thanks for posting that will go on the "shop to do" list for sure! realy impresive work keep it up:)

Luke

chrisc
21st September 2006, 07:11 AM
Hi Damien, sos for the delay, pc been playing up and all sorts, long story! i was planning to remove the excess on the inside with my woodlathe, then possibly bandsawing then sanding outside shape. my first thought was to develop some sort of follower for thr router?? not sure which is best route to take. any suggestions and help very much appreciated. thanks for your help mate.
Chris

damienhazo
26th September 2006, 09:45 PM
Iwas planning to remove the excess on the inside with my woodlathe.

You got a lathe big enough to turn out that top? If not, you could use a tramel with a spike and turn a circle inside the leading edge. Then hand rout out everything else - starting in the middle!

As for the decorative outside edge... I am the wrong guy to ask. I have no experience with carving whatsoever.

Good luck!

Damien

chrisc
27th September 2006, 03:27 AM
Cheers Damien, my lathe will take up to 18", so i can take the excess out.
thanks for your help, i wasn't going to carve it, like yourself i ain't no good at it. thought of using the router to follow the outside pattern somehow. would be interested in your thingy that trend are looking at. will watch this site for it.
Chris.:cool:

zelk
27th September 2006, 04:53 PM
Good work Damien,
you're making the most out of your jig. I just love designing and making the jig, it's a pity that most people only see the final workpiece and not the jigs used.
Zelk