PDA

View Full Version : Natural edged mirrors

dan_tom
4th May 2006, 09:32 PM
Hi everyone

Tom and I made three mirrors over the weekend that we thought we would share with you all. They are rustic/eclectic again and easy to make, from off cuts that I liked the natural form of and "defects" in the timber.

Ranging in size from a really long mirror (head to foot, which for me is 6 foot 1!), to a medium sized one and a small one which I took to work to hang in my office (to check I don't have helmet hair when I take my motorcycle helmet off :D ).

Cheers
Danielle and Tom

oges
4th May 2006, 09:40 PM
wow great looking mirrors, love the look of them. Particularly liking the second one out of the three, but they are all good.

ozwinner
4th May 2006, 09:49 PM
Cool :cool:
I like number 1 the bestest.

Al :)

fred.n
4th May 2006, 09:50 PM
They look fantastic:)

No doubt ther'e in BIG:D :D demand

Peter36
4th May 2006, 10:10 PM
Great looking mirrors . No1 is my fav too . Does the mirror rebate follow the timber profile or have you straightened it http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif

Ikkyu
4th May 2006, 10:14 PM
dan_tom
Those are just beautiful i like the first one the most good work.

Alistair

martrix
4th May 2006, 10:18 PM
Cool :cool:
I like number 1 the bestest.

Al :)
yeeah...word!http://www.ubeaut.biz/approval.gif

What have you finished them with? looks like a nice hand-rubbed oil..

dai sensei
4th May 2006, 10:44 PM
Wow you two, you really pump out the good stuff.

Look forward to talking to you at the WWW show.

Harry72
4th May 2006, 11:37 PM
Yep with you dai sen... they do pump it out cant keep the greenys up to them!

Jill
5th May 2006, 12:29 AM
Hi Danielle (& Tom!)

I just love these mirrors! Nothing like pumping out three at once, too!! And you ride a motorbike?? Wow!

Cheers,

Jill

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th May 2006, 01:50 AM
What's left to be said? Nice. :)

Hickory
5th May 2006, 04:15 AM
I have seen (and made ) natural edged Frames for pictures, before, but always with the natural edge on the outside. Very interesting design idea. I like the last one, You thunk this up on your own? Sober? :D

I'm storing this idea in my deminished mind for future copying, Glad you posted.

Wongo
5th May 2006, 10:08 AM
They just look fantastic.

RufflyRustic
5th May 2006, 10:57 AM
Hi Dan and Tom,

Your mirrors are amazing! Talk about the Wow Factor in Triplicate :D

I bet everyone is envious of your mirror at work.

Cheers
Wendy

CameronPotter
5th May 2006, 11:13 AM
Just another person saying "hear, hear"!

(No.1 is my fav. too).:D

dan_tom
5th May 2006, 12:56 PM
Thanks everyone.:) Matrix, I just finished them with that spray on Howards orange oil and waxed them with Organoil wax. They smell nice!

One edge is natural and the other is straightened (actually we used the "other" part of the timber for furniture - these bits were offcuts). I liked the colour in the "crevice" one, such colour variations and wanted to make a feature of it. I like the second one best, which we have hung in our hallway. Hickory, the idea came to me when I saw the timber and thought of what I could do with it. Seemed a waste to chuck it/burn it. I was sober! Tom needed a few glasses of red before I could convince him of my plan.:D

Jill, yep, I'm a "temporary" Australian. Been riding only for a short time (since March 2005) on my new bike. Clocked up a few more km's (not on my bike, but on the Harley) when we did the breast cancer ride from Sydney to Brisbane last year. Haven't stacked it yet - but have been stunned by motorists who just don't watch out for motorbikes. Getting a bit chilly now though!

Thanks
Dan

mickp
5th May 2006, 10:04 PM
all the words to describe the mirrors have been used and for the usual reasons I cant give u a greenie.

BobL
6th May 2006, 10:13 AM
"Loverly stuff"! I like the first one, it's very sliming.

Andy Mac
6th May 2006, 12:14 PM
Great stuff as usual, and greenie launched. You two never stop, do you!? Is it time to extend the house yet, so you can fit it all in?

Cheers,

Hugh1
6th May 2006, 12:30 PM
I to like num1 the best,have found myself you have to be really careful out there,or you will become a temporary Australian.

ss_11000
7th May 2006, 03:45 PM
great work, like 1 the best

keju
7th May 2006, 09:16 PM
Love this mirror idea. Wish I were good at frames, but several tries.... well.... the corners get me every time....
Also.... where do you get the mirrors?

Juvy

TTIT
7th May 2006, 11:40 PM
Great job with the mirror's guy's! :):) No-one else asked but I have to - you hit my choice of color with the number 1 piece - what timber is it?

dan_tom
8th May 2006, 08:45 AM
Thanks everyone. Keju, we have found a local guy in Moorooka who will cut mirrors and non reflective glass to our specifications. He does it there and then on the spot and doesn't charge a fortune, which is good! The three mirrors here cost $70 in glass.

TTIT, the timber from the first one is forest red gum I think. It is very much highlighting the different colours of the sapwood, which is the reason for the colour variation. No need for much structural strength - it's just a decorative mirror after all. The other bits I have used in the construction of the "Z" necklace frame for my sister (see another post for that).

Cheers
Dan

Jill
8th May 2006, 09:41 AM
Jill, yep, I'm a "temporary" Australian. Been riding only for a short time (since March 2005) on my new bike. Clocked up a few more km's (not on my bike, but on the Harley) when we did the breast cancer ride from Sydney to Brisbane last year. Haven't stacked it yet - but have been stunned by motorists who just don't watch out for motorbikes. Getting a bit chilly now though!

Wow, Danielle! I am just trying to picture you all dressed up and on a Harley - no can do, sorry!! You're waayyyy too ladylike!! No shaggy beard, either. You are just going to HAVE to take a pic for me (please - better use my manners)!!! I'm one of those drivers that sit way back from any bikes and then pass them like I'd pass a car! Brrr - I imagine it would freeze your face and hands, esp., in the cool weather!

Cheers,

Jill

dan_tom
9th May 2006, 06:09 PM
Well Jill you asked for it, here I am! This photo was taken after picking up the brand new harley from the dealership out at Blacktown (they sponsored the ride and gave the 22 breast cancer survivors a brand new harley of their choice). We did a practice ride and then rode in over the harbour bridge and parked in front of Cruise restaurant at Circular Quay (it was looking like it was going to storm a beauty, but passed over us) and then we rode on to Coogee Bay. Awesome time! With 22 bikes going through the M2 tunnel, it sounded fantastic and cars around us became of our presence rather quickly! (Plus they saw we were wearing pink and had smaller waists than most harley riders...).

Cheers
Dan

jacko
9th May 2006, 06:20 PM
Great looking mirrors (pardon the pun) Where do you get your material????
Jacko

dan_tom
10th May 2006, 08:39 AM
We get the majority of our timber from Stan Ceglinski at Billinudgel and also got a pack of the Tuncester timber that Bruce told us about over the forum (that Lismore timber!). It was a great bargain and we are still going through it actually. The timber for these mirrors was from Stan though.

Cheers
Dan

Jill
10th May 2006, 09:51 AM
Well Jill you asked for it, here I am! This photo was taken after picking up the brand new harley from the dealership out at Blacktown (they sponsored the ride and gave the 22 breast cancer survivors a brand new harley of their choice). We did a practice ride and then rode in over the harbour bridge and parked in front of Cruise restaurant at Circular Quay (it was looking like it was going to storm a beauty, but passed over us) and then we rode on to Coogee Bay. Awesome time! With 22 bikes going through the M2 tunnel, it sounded fantastic and cars around us became of our presence rather quickly! (Plus they saw we were wearing pink and had smaller waists than most harley riders...).

Cheers
Dan

I just found this, Danielle - what a fantastic photo! I saved it, I hope you don't mind? And what a fantastic ride/cause, etc. (and more than that - I'm so glad you beat the dreaded disease!) I can imagine the ride was a load of fun. And imagine all the motorists' shock when they realized it was a heap of ladies!!! The note in the tunnel - I can just imagine!!! Funny - whenever we have a Harley come near us on the road, I open my window so the kids can hear the note better!!! (Maybe that comes from having grown up with 3 brothers?!!) The Harley website is the best I've seen & also the Porsche one - complete with sound, too!!!

Thanks for sharing that - and it sure was not a disapointment! I love the sunnies, the scarf, the T shirt, the makeup, the happy smile - the background, even!!! That's a pic worthy of being in a magazine!

Cheers,

Jill

Mr woodmachinist
10th May 2006, 10:30 AM
Hi everyone

Tom and I made three mirrors over the weekend that we thought we would share with you all. They are rustic/eclectic again and easy to make, from off cuts that I liked the natural form of and "defects" in the timber.

Ranging in size from a really long mirror (head to foot, which for me is 6 foot 1!), to a medium sized one and a small one which I took to work to hang in my office (to check I don't have helmet hair when I take my motorcycle helmet off :D ).

Cheers
Danielle and Tom
They look great welldone!!

Wood Butcher
10th May 2006, 10:49 AM
As always guys, fantastic work. and I'll vote for no. 1 as my fav too!!!

Well Done!

coedcae
10th May 2006, 12:54 PM
Well what can I say but fantastic work, I like them all BUT #1 stands out a mile.:) :)

Regards Peter

dan_tom
10th May 2006, 04:34 PM
And what a fantastic ride/cause, etc. (and more than that - I'm so glad you beat the dreaded disease!)

Jill

Thanks Jill! I was involved in the ride because we are researching the benefits of peer group support for young breast cancer survivors - I am fortunate not to have had breast cancer (it was scary to note that some of the women were younger than me) - I am a health services researcher by day and this is one of the projects I have been working on. The next ride is in Australia (http://www.amazonheart.com/AHThunder/) from 14th Oct till 21st Oct - applications open soon. I felt very honoured to be a part of the ride and meet these courageous women, many of whom learnt to ride for the event. When you are faced with your own mortality at such a young age, why not learn to ride a Harley! To quote one rider - "I stared into the abyss and the abyss blinked first". I'm also involved in the annual pink ribbon day ride here in Brisbane, which is fun too.

Cheers
Dan

TEEJAY
10th May 2006, 06:24 PM
All good stuff.

Hey isn't that redgum just awesome? ;) :D

Jill
11th May 2006, 10:35 AM
Thanks Jill! I was involved in the ride because we are researching the benefits of peer group support for young breast cancer survivors - I am fortunate not to have had breast cancer (it was scary to note that some of the women were younger than me) - I am a health services researcher by day and this is one of the projects I have been working on. The next ride is in Australia (http://www.amazonheart.com/AHThunder/) from 14th Oct till 21st Oct - applications open soon. I felt very honoured to be a part of the ride and meet these courageous women, many of whom learnt to ride for the event. When you are faced with your own mortality at such a young age, why not learn to ride a Harley! To quote one rider - "I stared into the abyss and the abyss blinked first". I'm also involved in the annual pink ribbon day ride here in Brisbane, which is fun too.

Cheers
Dan

Hi Danielle,

That's nice to know that you haven't had cancer yourself - and what a worthwhile job you have! Good on you. I can imagine that being faced with your mortality would make you really want to make the most of life, alright. Are you going in the next ride, then?

Cheers,

Jill