PDA

View Full Version : Inverted Routers

Chris Vesper
5th May 2006, 01:34 AM
Hi Peoples,
I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with inverted routers, I mean the ones that are a bit more HD than your average router table. such as the Onsrud routers, click this link to see what I'm on about: http://www.cronsrud.com/inverted.html

I am wanting to hold very small parts for template work, possibly down to 90 by 60mm by 25 thick, and having to rout two and a half sides in one hit. Does anybody know a magic way of making this happen with no danger of that said part flying into low orbit as it leaves the jig before its supposed to??:eek: Vacume holding probably won't do the job because the parts are so small.

I have an overhead router that does the job but I would like to go inverted for safty, ease of dust extraction and general usefulness.

If anyone in Melbourne has one and would be happy to show it off to me I'd be grateful for a look at it.

gpsmith
5th May 2006, 06:26 PM
I might be wrong - but I'm pretty sure that Kangan Tafe in Broadmeadows has one - it was just installed in the last month or so - have not seen it in operation - I have not yet had the need. If it is a general enquiry the head of the furniture department is Chris - can't remember the number.
regards,

Salty
7th May 2006, 05:32 PM
Hi Chris,
I was going to suggest the TAFE in your area too as I know that they use Onsurud routers. As for the vacuum jigs give the Cloudmaker guy a call. His knowledge is very good on all aspects of vacuum clamping.
Try ADDRESS PO Box 412, Bundanoon NSW 2578
PHONE/FAX 02 4883 7908
I can't seem to access his website at the moment.:(
By the way GREAT tools you make. Keep up the good work!:)

Template Tom
8th May 2006, 10:01 AM
Interesting video of the router I think producing a Guitar. I am sure your problem could be overcome with the plunge router with the same set up Jig that was used as seen in the video especially if you have ot least one edge that was still in tact to hold it secure. This will also depend on the shape of the cut. More information required.
Tom

Template Tom
8th May 2006, 10:03 AM
Interesting video of the router I think producing a Guitar. I am sure your problem could be overcome with the plunge router with the same set up Jig that was used as seen in the video especially if you have at least one edge that was still in tact to hold it secure. This will also depend on the shape of the cut. More information required.
Tom

QldWoodie
9th May 2006, 10:19 AM
Working with small stuff is always very challenging, but I can usually get by just by making a zero clearance sub-base and fence. For example, here:
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=3068&d=1090541915 is a special fence and sub-base I made some time ago in order to put a bead on the side of some curved pieces. This is on my spindle moulder but using a router bit. I could push the workpieces across the bit by hand quite happily and safely, because there was virtually no gap between the bit and the fences, and the only exposed part of the bit was the cutting faces.

Qw