PDA

View Full Version : Still smells of glue and lacquer

Lin
5th May 2006, 11:14 AM
Kinda an odd title but the pics below are of the two most recent completed projects....They do still have a smell of lacquer....maybe not the glue..:D
Anyone like Bears? These are the first time I have gotta orders for Bears...Both pieces went to the same customer. He and I worked up a trade. He gave me 12 -1.5" x 7" x 8' long walnut boards and 2 -1.5" x 12" x 8' long cherry boards for these two pieces. The walnut is what I was after. Prices are high for walnut around here and is not readily available to me without traveling a good distance or ordering it by mail. I'm happy...
Lin
http://www.geocities.com/creativewoodartplus/standupbearlg.jpg
Cut from 1/2" oak with bevel cut walnut and oak base

http://www.geocities.com/creativewoodartplus/rockymountainbearslg.jpg
Cut from 1/2" oak with black acrylic mirror used for a backer.

oges
5th May 2006, 01:22 PM
Lin
Great job on the bears, very nice. Good deal on the timber trade aswell.

How long has it been since you lacquered them?

keju
5th May 2006, 01:24 PM
WOW Lin..... fantastic...... I know you've mentioned the bear project before but I hadn't seen them finished.
Bet your customer is at least as happy as you are :)

Juvy

Lin
5th May 2006, 08:51 PM
Brett, The standing bear is the one that still smells..lol
I took the pic then uploaded it last night about 40 miutes after the last coat of lacquer went on....
The one with mirror was completed about the same time but gluing the mirror and putting hangers on was it's last stage.
They will sit for a few days before I deliver. I like the ease of the spray lacquer but it does have an oder.
Lin

mickp
5th May 2006, 10:16 PM
surely Lin if you wipe the bears butt the smell would disappear :)

beautiful work, once again

Lin
6th May 2006, 09:15 AM
Mick, Now there's an idea..........I have to go scouting for small enough T-paper.....lol
Lin

Iain
6th May 2006, 12:19 PM
I want to do some of those for our tourist trade but having trouble finding a pattern for the local drop bear..................

oges
6th May 2006, 03:43 PM
aah Lin, I thought you meant it had been smelling of lacquer a fair while after finishing it, not that you had only just done it lol

Here is one of the locals I did a while ago Iain (yeah I know its not a bear)

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=8891

Lin
6th May 2006, 09:53 PM
Iain, What is the local drop bear? Any good pics of it? Might be able to make a pattern from a pic.
Brett, I take my hat off to you for the Koala. Looks like one of "Old Griz's" patterns. I have only cut one of his and complicated...yes...You pulled it off and the piece looks great...I to think you should have won.
Lin

oges
6th May 2006, 10:21 PM
Iain, What is the local drop bear? Any good pics of it? Might be able to make a pattern from a pic.
Brett, I take my hat off to you for the Koala. Looks like one of "Old Griz's" patterns. I have only cut one of his and complicated...yes...You pulled it off and the piece looks great...I to think you should have won.
Lin
Yes you are right, its one of Toms 'old griz'

I think a pic of a drop bear is pretty rare, those who have run into one dont usually get away alive :eek: :rolleyes: :D

Iain
7th May 2006, 08:43 AM
A very nasty mutated koala, rarely seen and as Brett says, not many get out of seeing one alive :rolleyes:

Lin
7th May 2006, 11:50 AM
Iain, Don't know if it will lend itself to a pattern but I will try.........He's one ugly bugger...lol
Lin

ss_11000
7th May 2006, 04:49 PM
great work lin