PDA

View Full Version : Sliding Dovetail box

Scally
7th May 2006, 03:27 PM
I made a couple of boxes for sharpening stones with simple drop on lids.
Then decided I would try a sliding dovetail lid like I had seen in a Lydgate book.

It took a fair bit of fiddling to get the fit right - parrallel and not too tight or loose.

The lid was planed and sanded to the shape.

Timber is Red Bean and finish is Livos oil.

chrisb691
7th May 2006, 05:16 PM
That's really nice!!!!:) :) :)

How did you produce the dovetail (apart from 'very well')

dazzler
7th May 2006, 05:41 PM
Xnlt:d

Auld Bassoon
7th May 2006, 07:17 PM
Superb mate!

My Japanese stones either sit in the stone pond or (for the higher grits) are kept in their manufacturer's boxes when not in use. Methinks that a small array of boxes like yours is much more craftsman-like - so I'll have to get them onto the list.

Thanks for the idea!

zenwood
7th May 2006, 07:37 PM
Very nice little box, and the blackbean looks superb. I'll have to keep an eye out for that. What's it like to work?

TTIT
7th May 2006, 11:52 PM
Beautiful Scally - I couldn't bring myself to leave something that nice in the shed. Simple but elegant - wouldn't be hard to convert to a jewellery display case! Uh-oh - ideas bouncing around my brain again. Gotta go....

ddeen
8th May 2006, 12:15 AM
I like it Scally. Looks to nice to store wet stones. Like Auld's my stones stay in the bath all the time (with some antibacterial soap). You got me thinking but looks like a very nice place to store pens or miniature carving tools.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th May 2006, 01:16 AM
A pen box! Oh yeah!

Actually, it'd take me longer to make the box than the pens... but I'd feel better about my asking price. :o

banksiaman
8th May 2006, 12:46 PM
Scally, very nice (again). That sliding dovetail arrangement has certainly given me food for though.

Chris

DPB
8th May 2006, 06:36 PM
Nice work again, Scally.:)

Scally
8th May 2006, 09:41 PM
Thanks all.

This box didn't see the sharpening stones. It has a couple of cigars in it waiting for a celebration.

Zenwood, the timber is Red Bean or Miva Mahogany, Dysoxylum muelleri, in the Australian Timber buyer's Guide.
It is related to and similar to rosewood but not quite as dense. I find it a lot like Tasmanian myrtle in looks and in working.

The local supplier, in coffs Harbour, had a tree of boards and over a year or so I think I bought it all. I made a dining table, Dresser, coffee table and wine cabinet out of it.
When I went to make the chairs, I had no red bean left so I used the myrtle. It is hard to pick the difference.

I used the leftovers to make a few boxes.

The way I made the box was: I cut a board to length and set a template over it to rout out the inside of the base. The bit was a bearing guided dish cutting bit.
I used another template to guide the dovetail cutter down each edge.
For the lid, I used a straight cutter to remove most of the waste.
I made a jig to hold the lid and guide the router to sneak up on the mating dovetails. Testing the fit until I was satisfied.
Any chance of that making sense? Sorry Chris
The jig was basically two parallel fences.

Once the fit was right , I sanded the edges of the mating pieces flush.

Then I planed and sanded the lid to shape.

Wardy
11th May 2006, 07:07 PM
another great box.what type of finish did you use?
cheers wardy

Wardy
11th May 2006, 08:24 PM
was carried away looking at your great box and negleted to read the last sentence, so the question I asked your've already answered, again great work.
Cheers Wardy

tonysa
12th May 2006, 12:28 AM
very nice, love the wood. Thanks for the How to info.
Haven't come across Livos Oil until now - i feel another search coming on.