PDA

View Full Version : Veneer and Forest Oak boxes

Scally
7th May 2006, 03:45 PM
Here are a few little boxes I made to try using veneer.

The veneers were bought from a supplier in Nowra who had some fantastic pieces.
Finish is Livos oil.

The box is forest oak.
The joints are rebated butt joints and glued with titebond PVC.

I used PVC to glue a veneer sheet to each side of 6mm ply.
The veneered pieces were glued into a rebate in the forest oak frame.

The Eucalypt veneer was a log way from flat and I was worried it wouldn't flatted. I put a thick coat of PVC on the veneer and the ply them several layers of paper then 3/4inch mdf caul. Then several G-clamps.
Surprisingly the veneers flattened perfectly.

I have had trouble flattening larger sheets and plan to make a veneer press. I will even try sizing the very wrinkly sheets.

ptc
7th May 2006, 06:24 PM
Scally
very nice.

dai sensei
7th May 2006, 06:58 PM
Nice boxes Scally. It never ceases to amaze me the number of different beautiful grains various timbers can have.

Auld Bassoon
7th May 2006, 07:10 PM
Great boxes Scally - I especially like the second one

zenwood
7th May 2006, 07:46 PM
Nice veneering there, Scally. Any problem with glue squeezing through the veneers and sticking to the paper?

TTIT
7th May 2006, 11:46 PM
Beautiful wood there Scally - especially the first 2:). I reckon that Oak could stand on it's own as well - have you made any with just the oak?

DPB
8th May 2006, 12:02 AM
Scally, these are lovely boxes. I love the variety of veneers and the well placed hinges. Simple but joints certainly have their place which in the case of these boxes adds to the clean simple lines. Nothing like letting the wood to the talking.

Would you explain the first box. At first glance it looks upside-down. The veneer would indicate that it is, in fact right side up, but the lid joint appears to be near the bottom of the box.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th May 2006, 01:32 AM
'Twas a really thick piece of veneer? :D

It looks like a lift-off lid, rather than a hinged one? That's the sort of box I like for putting gifts such as watches and bracelets in, so the box "base" becomes a display stand. I like the simplicity of the boxes, which lets the wood speak for itself without looking too busy. (Something I have yet to master; I always over-adorn. :()

Greenie owed, I'm out of ammo.

Scally
8th May 2006, 09:08 PM
Now did someone suggest I might have made a mistake?

I was playing with different joints and using these nice veneers.

I bought some forest oak boards that were leftovers from a tongue and groove panelling lot. They had splits and crack and other defects.
Once I decided on the dimensions of the box, I cut as many parts as I could out of the forest Oak.

So, now I am into making a batch of boxes.

I actually veneered the top and botom panels of all the boxes.

Somewhere along the way I cut the lid off the wrong end of the first box. There is a fairly plain veneer on the lid and this amazing veneer on the bottom panel.
I try to pretend you could use it upside down - maybe open it like a music box with a figure standing inside.
Nah, it was just a stuff up.
Thanks for picking it up, DPB.

Zenwwod, some glue did squeeze through the veneers but it was pretty easy to remove with a scraper. Plain paper is better then newspaper because there is no print ink to stain the veneer.

I really like Forest Oak but I had seen some nasty cracks and cupping on some pieces. It has a reputation for being very difficult to dry.
I think an all oak box would be a bit much. Some contrast adds a bit of interest even a banding would help.
As you can see, some of my combinations don't really work.