PDA

View Full Version : things to do with scroll saws

keju
7th May 2006, 06:42 PM
some stuff to do with scroll saws- hoping to recruit more scrollers :)
this is a box cut from birdseye elm, the knot is relief cut and carved
with help of a dremel tool and lots of sanding

shelf is made of white cedar, horses from claret ash

koalas are made from birdseye elm - not sure what I'll do with them yet

boxes with inlay made from claret ash and birdseye elm

eagle is relief cut made with osage orange... I took the background out and left it in a bright window for a week to get it to darken more then the top, not sure what will happen to it later and won't ever know since it sold a month ago.
baskets are made from claret ash again

oges
7th May 2006, 06:59 PM
wow some great work there, great selection of things you can do on the scrollsaw. Cant wait to see more.

keju
7th May 2006, 07:12 PM
thanks Brett.... but hey... YOU already know what a scroll saw can do ...... much better then what I can do.... you've ben at it longer :)
Was really hoping to get some folks interested who aren't scrolling yet.... sooooo how about YOU posting some of your work? Like maybe the saw you scrolled? :)
Juvy

ss_11000
7th May 2006, 08:05 PM
i'm interested in scrolling, the finished product looks good and i want to try it out....thing is, i dont have access to a scrollsaw, but i've got a bandsaw ( little one). can you do this kind of stuff on a bandsaw or is it just scrollsaw friendly?

keju
7th May 2006, 09:11 PM
I'm afraid a bandsaw just won't do.... the blade is too wide... for scrolling you need a really thin blade.... the bandsaw won't go around tight corners.... also.... for inside cuts you have to be able to thread the blade through... you can't do that with a bandsaw.
Scroll saws aren't all that expensive tho.... you can save up for on fairly quickly.... don't need the most expensive one... I have a Delta that cost me $299 a year ago... but have heard it go for under 250. Or better yet, try finding a second hand one , maybe from someone who is upgrading to a better one... that happens in our club sometimes.
I'm sure you have a club like that not too far from where you live, might want to give it a try... good to get all sorts of good advise too :)
( also most clubs have great bbqs! <G>)

Juvy

ss_11000
7th May 2006, 09:45 PM
I'm afraid a bandsaw just won't do.... the blade is too wide... for scrolling you need a really thin blade.... the bandsaw won't go around tight corners.... also.... for inside cuts you have to be able to thread the blade through... you can't do that with a bandsaw.
Scroll saws aren't all that expensive tho.... you can save up for on fairly quickly.... don't need the most expensive one... I have a Delta that cost me $299 a year ago... but have heard it go for under 250. Or better yet, try finding a second hand one , maybe from someone who is upgrading to a better one... that happens in our club sometimes.
I'm sure you have a club like that not too far from where you live, might want to give it a try... good to get all sorts of good advise too :)
( also most clubs have great bbqs! <G>)

Juvy

ah well, i'll put one on my list of things to get....probably spot eight or nine on the list

Lin
7th May 2006, 10:35 PM
Juvy, Nice work....Love the boxes and the Koala's....What kinds of scrolling do you want posted in this thread and I will help out....
I can tell everyone that scrollsaw is one of the easiest tools to get the hang of. It's very safe in comparision to the other woodworking tools we use. You can accomplish a beautiful piece of art fairly quickly on one. I've been scrolling for four years and still feel I haven't touch the tip of the iceberg in what all can be done with this very versital tool.
As a hobby scroller that sells her work I have found a high customer base in doing custom/personalized work. Names, dates, and such on the projects. You don't need a lot of other tools to get into scrolling. The scrollsaw itself, blades...(they are fairly cheap to purchase)....a way to drill holes...and a way to sand the wood and of course the wood itself. Free patterns are availble online and your local library will carry pattern books also. I started out with a scrollsaw, palm sanders and a drill press. My scrollsaw has paid for another scrollsaw, tablesaw, bandsaw, router and table, drum sander, belt and disc sander, planer, oscillating sander, buffer/sander and small dust collector.
I will warn you thou....It can be adictive.....I'm hooked and loving evry minute of it...lol
Lin

keju
9th May 2006, 12:06 AM
You've managed to make me drool...... wow..... all those tools......
Sure wish I'd find a good place to sell.... am doing ok, but it would take me a year to get another saw out of it.
If you have any pics of unusual things you made.. or things most people think can only be done with a tablesaw/bandsaw/router etc.... just anything that would make folks want to start scrolling :)

Just in case any of you guys reading this... no... scrolling is NOT a womens "sport"..... in our club I'm the only woman among the scrollers ( last meeting 8 of them)! On the other hand in the furniture group today we had 9 members and 4 of them women.

Juvy

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th May 2006, 12:48 AM
Not a women's "sport?" Oh, I dunno... how many scroll-saws have you seen driven by a 3phase 2HP motor, or better still, a small block chevy? VROOM VROOM! :rolleyes: :D

More seriously, I spent today pulling my GMC into a thousand pieces so I can rebuild it into something more usable. I've mentioned before that as soon as I put any decent tension on a pinless blade it'll come adrift... but a little bit of file-work on the top clamp and I think I've got that one beat. [fingers Xed]

The table has been relegated to the storage bin... the trunnions are worn and prone to slippage anyway. ie. it sloooowly changes angle as I make my cuts. :( Absence of the table won't be a problem as I've no intention of trying to get a foothold in the area you ladies have so deftly captured... ;) I'll be using mine for cutting fretwork into my goblets and maybe some bowls. I'm hoping to build a very "small" table, a horn type of thing that will more or less fit inside the goblet. [toes Xed]

Eventually I hope to be able to move onto things Lin has told me about... bevelled cuts to raise a piece a few mm, etc. Going to be interesting on a curved surface! [eyes Xed]

But I'm certainly not holding my breath on any of this at the moment!

keju
9th May 2006, 10:00 AM
Oh you don't know it yet... but you're a scroller! lol
anyone who'd think up a way to scroll on something like goblets has been bitten by the bug. What a terrific idea! have to admit I'd have never thought of it.
Make sure you post a pic of that set up once you have it working.
If you can make normal cuts on that surface I don't see why the bevel ones wouldn't work... only trouble I ever had doing the relief ones was when the wood was more then 3/4 inch thick.

Wonder what the guys would say if I told them they're into "women's work" ? hmmmmm...... na.... don't think I'll tell them.... I want to live

Juvy

oges
9th May 2006, 10:30 AM
I spent today pulling my GMC into a thousand pieces so I can rebuild it into something more usable.
A sewing machine? :rolleyes:

Geez Lin, would love a shed with all that in it .. would just love to have a shed..

Lin
9th May 2006, 11:13 AM
Shed huh........I kicked the car and boat outta the garage....and now its my shed...all mine. Problem being now I'm running outta space.....LOL
I am lucky that my other half also likes to scroll and we have also purchased a lathe that we are slowing learning to use. He and I both enjoy spending time in the shop on the week-ends. It has gotten to be our together time...
Lin

keju
9th May 2006, 11:14 AM
Awwwww Brett.... does that mean you still have your saw on the backporch? Getting a bit cold right now isn't it? Do you at least have a wood heater?

Juvy

Lin
9th May 2006, 11:16 AM
Skew, Now you've went and done it....I want you to figure this out so I can see some fretwork on a turned item that is hollow....That will be awesome....Crossing my fingers and toes for you now.....You'll have to use spiral blades to do it...right?
Lin

keju
9th May 2006, 11:18 AM
I was thinking about that too Lin..... he wouldn't be able to turn very far... sprials would be the only way I could think of..... then controlling them sawing as relief and the problem of the curved surface..... he's a brave man! <G>

Juvy

Lin
9th May 2006, 11:28 AM
A few of the projects that I have done in the past few years....I tried to pick out a variety to show a bit of what a scrollsaw can do and in the case of the first pic...what can be done using the lathe and scrolllsaw together.
Lin

oges
9th May 2006, 01:21 PM
Awwwww Brett.... does that mean you still have your saw on the backporch? Getting a bit cold right now isn't it? Do you at least have a wood heater?

Juvy
No the saw is inside, have a little room towards the back where I do that. I cant use the drill press and table saw in there tho, I do that in the back covered area. It works okay but would be nice to just have them setup permanentely, I will get my 3x3m shed setup at the new house one day, have to see if the landlord is ok with it.

keju
9th May 2006, 05:09 PM
Had not seen your doberman picture yet Lin..... looks great!

Feel for you Brett... having to move things around is a pain.. think that would stop me dead in my tracks. Only thing I have to move is the saw when I go to the club wednesday morings and the new sander.... even I realize it makes a bit too much dust in the house. So I wait until I have a days worth of sanding to do and get it all done in one go.

Juvy