PDA

View Full Version : $199 gmc thicknesser bargain

Pages : [1] 2 3

tonysa
7th May 2006, 07:42 PM
Wandered into Bunny's yesterday to get new cordless drill and sitting on bottom shelf of next aisle was a dusty GMC thicknesser i'd being eyeing up for many, many months now, marked down from $399 to $199. No box but had all the goodies and full warranty.

I'm now the proud owner of gmc thicknesser !

I saw a previous post about $199 thicknessers and someone saying they were returns. But with full replacement warranty I wasn't going to ask too many questions, although this one seemed to be a genuine price reduction.

I put about 15 meters of rough sawn pallet timber through it. Came out looking like shop bought DAR pinus crapiata, neat ! Then tried some old jarrah floorboards, shaving off about 0.5mm ( v dusty), came out smooth as.

Next step will be tune up, calibrate etc, a few jigs etc although snipe didn't seem to be a problem exept on the first few pieces until I got the hang of best way to feed the wood in.

Talk about right place, right time.
If you're after one, might pay to phone round.

Tony

Stuart
7th May 2006, 07:59 PM
They are not seconds - just a full mark down. Don't wait around though - once they are gone, they are gone!

Great price - if you want one I'd grab it quick!

Bodgy
7th May 2006, 09:10 PM
I have the Ryobi thicknessor. Same as GMC but with some extra bits.

Works like a dream.

For a couple of hundred $ you've got a bargain.

Dean
8th May 2006, 10:43 AM
Nice pickup!

Bluegum
8th May 2006, 01:32 PM
Well done on a decent bargain mate. :cool:

doug the slug
8th May 2006, 11:07 PM
They are not seconds - just a full mark down. Don't wait around though - once they are gone, they are gone!

Great price - if you want one I'd grab it quick!

went out to bummies today tohave a look, niot a gmc thicknesser in sight, think there were 2 left a week or so back. not sure whether they reduced themto $199 or not, so dont know whether to kick myself yet:confused:

Stuart
9th May 2006, 09:22 AM
Kick yourself - the discount was country-wide, and I wasn't expecting them to last more than a few hours at that price!

tonysa
9th May 2006, 09:09 PM
thanks for the comments, one very happy chappy this end !

thats a bummer Doug

hey stu, do you have inside knowledge at bunnies ?
you seem to be well versed on the thicknesser deal ?

cheers
tony

inferno6688
10th May 2006, 10:15 AM
i went to bunnies yesterday, and it definitly wasn't $199! :(

Stuart
10th May 2006, 10:50 AM
i went to bunnies yesterday, and it definitly wasn't $199! :(Query them on it- certainly ask them to price match to other Bunnings in the country.

No - I don't have inside knowledge of Bunnings, but I do keep my ear to the ground :D

Outsider
10th May 2006, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the headsup I thought to myself, "Self you must check this out on the way home." Opps I forgot.

After some ringing around at about 8pm I found one, a display model. When I went to collect it some minor things were missing, a spanner, one rubber foot and a hexkey. When I asked if they could be ordered in they hesitated and then offered it to me for $150.00. I couldn't get to the checkout quick enough.

Guess who's a happy boy.

BTW, should there have been Brushes for the motor included? There wasn't.

I was happy to note that the blades are resharpenable. From the manual it was a bit difficult to see how the blades were set.

The general 10" Planer Thicknesser on the Harbour Freight Site is a lot more clear as there is a diagram of how the blade setting jig sits on the cutting head. The saws may not be identical but I found it useful.

Cheers

doug the slug
10th May 2006, 05:20 PM
went out to bummies today tohave a look, niot a gmc thicknesser in sight, think there were 2 left a week or so back. not sure whether they reduced themto $199 or not, so dont know whether to kick myself yet:confused:

well i dont have to kick myself!!!! I went to Bunnings this morning and was talking to my favourite toolshop lady and she clarified the situation to me, which i will now explain for the benefit of all:

The official list price for the GMC thicknesser IS $199. it has changed on the computer but a lot of stores dont notice it till a month or so later. It is also no longer a stocked item, and once your local store runs out of them they can be ordered in through the special orders desk. their code for this type of stock is "on P"

Another item that is now "on P" is the big gmc sliding compound mitre saw, price now $188'ish, but apparrently it goes back to full price after this sunday. but if your local bunnings is out of stock and you order by sunday i guess you would get it for this price.

My $199 thicknesser should be waiting my collection early next week, and the $170 i'm saving there will go down well at the www show this weekend

Hope this info is useful to a lot of forum members;) ;) ;)

tonysa
10th May 2006, 09:00 PM
thanks for the update Doug, makes sense now

i'm glad i was able to steer a few guys in the right direction

the brushes are spares, someone was thinking when they designed the spares pack.

might have a look at the scms, i'll do a search and see if they're any good
gotta be better than my dinky 10" Ozito CMS

doug the slug
10th May 2006, 10:02 PM
thanks for the update Doug, makes sense now,
i'm glad i was able to steer a few guys in the right direction

Tony, you did well. without your initial post i would not have followed it up, so thanks to you a lot of forum members will get a great bargain, well done mate, im looking at bargains to spend the rest of my tool budget on at teh www show. thanks matehttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif

Babylon5
10th May 2006, 10:24 PM
After reading this post (thanks Doug for giving me the heads up on this thread), I told the wife, "Be back soon, off to Bunnings I go".

The Carseldeine store in Brisbane only had their demo GMC Thicknesser left. As far as I can tell the only part missing was the little plastic key like object that toggles the on/off switch. I was able to talk them down to $150.

Hopefully I can purchase the plastic bit directly from GMC or even Ryobi as it looks like the same universal part for either companies Thicknesser.

On a side note, I was told by the Bunnings staff that they are getting an allocation to each of their stores in a couple of weeks of the GMC Thicknessers. From the way the staff member was talking I'd assume they will be the same $199 price. Fingers crosssed that other people that may have missed out, might still be able to get the Thicknesser for the good price.

doug the slug
11th May 2006, 08:28 AM
On a side note, I was told by the Bunnings staff that they are getting an allocation to each of their stores in a couple of weeks of the GMC Thicknessers. From the way the staff member was talking I'd assume they will be the same $199 price. Fingers crosssed that other people that may have missed out, might still be able to get the Thicknesser for the good price.

Never mind waiting for the allocation, go to the special orders desk, and order yours now, as per my earlier post! dont miss out

Carry Pine
11th May 2006, 09:03 AM
Just called into Home hardware on the way to work and they are selling for $429. You guys have done well. Don't feel bad about spending the $$$s.
CP

Caliban
11th May 2006, 10:35 AM
I rng the local bunnies yesterday. They didn't have any left. So I rang the other local Bunnies (yes 2. One used to be BBC hardware the other used to be Mitre10) they said "it's only the Bunnings Warehouses that can get those promotions specials we can't even order them."
So I rang Port Macquarie Bunnings Warehouse (60kms away) The lady said "we don't have one but I'll see if I can order one and call you back."
She phoned back about 10 mins later and said that she'd found one up on a pallet at the top of a stack and could I wait until they had a chance to get it down.
Brand new in the box! Can you hold it for me?
No problem, it's now behind the sales counter with my name on it to pick up on Friday.
Best part is that SWMBO will pick it up for me. Lucky cause they are little screamers and I'd never be able to hide it from her.
See some good comes from the broken leg even if Scott(Wongo) doesn't think it's serious.

lever_321
11th May 2006, 11:14 AM
Thanks heaps for the tip fellas, I just rang my local Bunnings store (Melton)
and he has ordered me one for $199.00, so I can put the extra cash toward a jointer. :)

woodbutcher
11th May 2006, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the cheap GMC SCMS, do you happen to know if it was the twin rail job ?
Regards
Woodbutcher

well i dont have to kick myself!!!! I went to Bunnings this morning and was talking to my favourite toolshop lady and she clarified the situation to me, which i will now explain for the benefit of all:

The official list price for the GMC thicknesser IS $199. it has changed on the computer but a lot of stores dont notice it till a month or so later. It is also no longer a stocked item, and once your local store runs out of them they can be ordered in through the special orders desk. their code for this type of stock is "on P"

Another item that is now "on P" is the big gmc sliding compound mitre saw, price now $188'ish, but apparrently it goes back to full price after this sunday. but if your local bunnings is out of stock and you order by sunday i guess you would get it for this price.

My $199 thicknesser should be waiting my collection early next week, and the $170 i'm saving there will go down well at the www show this weekend

Hope this info is useful to a lot of forum members;) ;) ;)

Beaton
12th May 2006, 12:38 AM
Does anyone know if the gmc is the same as the Timbecon MB-1931, looks the same from the picture.I was thinking of getting the MB-1931 but for nearly half the price it looks good. Also oesanyon know if the ofer extends to Perth.

masoth
12th May 2006, 05:16 PM
The story as of today is the price reductiion is to sell-off all stock before the release of a new model in a couple of weeks. The new machine price is not available (to me) and the alterations are also not available.
Local Bunnings do not have stock, and I'm waiting for a call to advise if one can be obtained at $199.
Local Mitre 10 selling at $359, if my memory is right.

soth

derekcohen
12th May 2006, 05:43 PM
I managed to locate what is probably the last remaining $199 GMC thicknesser in the world (!:D ) - partly out of curiosity and partly because I do have intentions of buying a thicknesser at some stage (WHAT!!! you cry at this news. I am not totally daft, you know, about thicknessing rough sawn hardwoods).

Anyway, about the GMC. It was right next to a Ryobi (at $399). I must say that the Ryobi was in a different class. The GMC felt lighter, lacked any dust management, and just overall lacked the presentation.

My wife is always on about buying cheap stuff and the regret one later has. I think that the GMC lacks the important dust management that I believe is vital, and as a result I am not tempted much to buy it at this point.

Timbercon sell the same machine as the GMC at $299. Carba-tec sell it for $349. They look identical, just rebadged and a different colour. I don't believe either comes with a dust extraction system. Is this extra feature on the Ryobi worth an extra $100? What is the cheapest machine (worth buying) that has this feature? Will this be the GMC that will replace the current model?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Caliban
12th May 2006, 05:59 PM
the GMC lacks the important dust management that I believe is vital, and as a result I am not tempted much to buy it at this point.

Derek
with a bit of Aussie ingenuity and maybe a bit of 4" stormwater pipe cut to length across the outfeed side where the expensive ones have their plastic dust shrouds and she'll be as right as rain. (remember rain?). Says he as he hopes it'll work.

Auld Bassoon
12th May 2006, 06:35 PM
It will also be necessary to make up a tight fitting panel to fit over the exhaust area, and to have an appropriate for your D/C hose connection.

When I bought my Sherwood MB-1931, Timbecon threw in the dust collection kit (if memory serves). If I knew then what I know now, however, I would have gone for at least a 15" machine - not so much for the little bit of additional width, but because of the much better quality.

woodbutcher
12th May 2006, 06:36 PM
I bought the OZITO for $289 which was cheaper than the RR price of both the RYobi and GMC it has much the same specs and uses the same double sided blades as the Ryobi and the GMC. It has dust extraction facility and a 3 year replecement warranty. Only used it for a test so far and looks fine, but will run be running about 80m of 200mm wide oregon through it in the next week or so. That should give it a fair test. I'll post the result. Also picked up the GMC SCMS for $189 today (Thanks Doug) and will be giving that a work out soon. Both items on the shopping list for a bloody long time and both bought now for just over the RR price of one.

with a bit of Aussie ingenuity and maybe a bit of 4" stormwater pipe cut to length across the outfeed side where the expensive ones have their plastic dust shrouds and she'll be as right as rain. (remember rain?). Says he as he hopes it'll work.

Stuart
12th May 2006, 07:13 PM
Don't Mitre 10 stock these? They have a "we will be cheaper or it's 10% off the difference" type offer don't they?

Not sure, but it's interesting........

masoth
12th May 2006, 10:19 PM
stuart (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/member.php?u=1006) - see my post (#22) above. It's Bunnings that advertise the 10% additional discount for anything published as cheaper than the same product they are offering.

Stuart
12th May 2006, 11:54 PM
Yeah - I know Bunnies has the 10% off the whole price if you find it cheaper. I'm pretty sure Mitre 10 will give you the lower price and 10% off the DIFFERENCE if you find a lower price. I know because I have received this discount in the past - price matching to Bunnings.

This was at Mitre 10 Mega, which is why I asked if it was available elsewhere.

inferno6688
13th May 2006, 12:34 PM
I m very tempted to go buy one now, but i don't have a jointer, so is there much point getting a thicknesser? Maybe i'll have to just joint with my router table. :)

TommyC
13th May 2006, 12:58 PM
You can joint with a hand plane.......then Thickness!

dan_tom
14th May 2006, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the heads up on this one!

I rang around and there were none left BUT I ended up getting a display model for $150 :) . Just have to order the missing bits from GMC (the handle was missing??:confused: ) and it should be sweet.

I know they are not the best thicknesser around, but you can't get any thicknesser for $150! The tool guy said he couldn't re order them in, but then the next sales assistant said they could for $359. :confused:

Now to wait for the parts....

Cheers
Dan

Stuart
14th May 2006, 11:10 AM

I've had this mod detailed on my website for a couple of years (even including a video of it at work that I forgot I made!) Guess there will be some new visits to the site for all the new owners!!!

www.tritonwoodworkers.org.au

Scroll down to Jigs & Modifications, then click on "Other Equipment Mods & Upgrades"

masoth
15th May 2006, 09:30 AM
An e-mail I recieved this morning:

"According to my records there are close to 700 of those units sitting in the warehouse waiting to be ordered.<O:pTo obtain one all your local bunnings has to do is order one and it will be there in about 48hrs.
Regards
<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com /><st1:PersonName w:st=David Gould</st1:PersonName><st1:country-region w:st="on"> USA</st1:country-region> Sales Consultant <O:p
and Technical Support Officer"

Don't be put off by the " USA" address, this was posted in Australia.

soth<O:p

Stuart
15th May 2006, 11:01 AM
Cool!

What would happen if you put say 5 of these in a line, with each one set 3mm lower than the previous - you could feed the work in from one end and have it pop out the other end 15mm thinner than it started :D

Or all 700 and you could turn an entire tree to sawdust..... ;)

durwood
15th May 2006, 03:23 PM
Having read this strand last night I went to the local Bunnings this morning .
The tool shop sent me to special orders who rang GMC and were told they have them listed at $359. When I asked her to check with the person about the offer of $199 the reply was no such deal existed.

So I am perplexed at David Gould's email posted about one hour before my visit to Bunnings.

Stuart
15th May 2006, 04:13 PM
Ask em to ring again, and hopefully get someone who knows.

masoth
15th May 2006, 06:55 PM
......... sob, that is.
Local Bunnings rang me this arvo. Much confusion. Price $199 was for either show-room floor stock, or non-compliant pieces (whatever that is supposed to mean).
Young person did offer to continue enquiry on my behalf, but I think I'll give up.

Durwood. Note he mentioned 'product' not price, so I guess he is clear.

Sorry if I contributed to any disappointment.

soth

durwood
15th May 2006, 09:41 PM
update:
Afternoon shift, new staff, different story.
According to staff member Bunnings have the discontinued thicknesses and will be distributing them to their stores this week.

They took an order from me and say thay will ring when it arrives.

Lets see what happens!!!!!

Caliban
15th May 2006, 11:00 PM
As I posted earlier in this thread, I got one put aside for me. Lady put my name and phone number on it but not the price. When my son went to pick it up they said" here you go that's $359"
Lucky I'd told him it was $200.
He had to argue for a while, ended up telling them to stick it and started walking. They called him back and pointed to the computer screen saying the sale finished yesterday (THursday) then one sales person said "no the fine print says 3.30 today so he got it for $199.
I really don't think anyone at Bunnings has any idea so keep trying.

scooter
15th May 2006, 11:09 PM
...the fine print says 3.30 today....

:D:D:D:D:D

Stuart
15th May 2006, 11:12 PM
..........I really don't think anyone at Bunnings has any idea ........

No kidding.

masoth
16th May 2006, 12:01 PM
I've just now sent an e-mail request to Bunnings for some enlightment, and offered the address to this thread. I wonder if a reply will be posted.
Bunnings web site is of interest - well, the proposed new store openings is.

soth

dan_tom
16th May 2006, 05:55 PM
When we got our $199 thicknesser, I got told that Bunnings had a fight with GMC and are downsizing the stock they keep from this company. The $199 price is their cost price and they are getting rid of stock they have, including display models at this price. As of Saturday, they went back up to $359.

Good luck!

Cheers
Dan

doug the slug
16th May 2006, 06:44 PM
The tool shop sent me to special orders who rang GMC and were told they have them listed at $359. When I asked her to check with the person about the offer of $199 the reply was no such deal existed.

According to my sources, the $199 deal finished at midnight on Sunday. if you ordered it before then you should still get it for $199. apart from that they are $359 and you still need to order them in special

GregLee
16th May 2006, 10:37 PM
My understanding after a number of calls to find one of these illusive machines is that the sale was for GMC thickness planers with the old now non-compliant power plug. All new stock should have new power plugs with insulation half way up the active and neutral pins.

tonysa
16th May 2006, 11:07 PM
that would make sense, good one Greg

Stuart
17th May 2006, 01:18 PM
When we got our $199 thicknesser, I got told that Bunnings had a fight with GMC and are downsizing the stock they keep from this company. The $199 price is their cost price and they are getting rid of stock they have, including display models at this price. As of Saturday, they went back up to $359.

Good luck!

Cheers
Dan

Interesting point of view by Bunnings. Unfortunately I don't think it holds water as I heard about the pending discount from GMC as a GMC initiative, not a Bunnings driven one, and it is all to do with a new manufacturer and a new version of the thicknesser, and not to do with downsizing of Bunnings stock. (Not to say that I know anything of that rumour- sounds strange).

Glenn_M
17th May 2006, 02:05 PM
Interesting all the different stories floating about.

I also heard the same as Stuart (maybe we frequent the same Bunnies?:) ).

Version I got was that the model was being replaced and more would possibly be available when GMC were going to liquidate some excess stock - expected in June.

Cheers,

tonysa
17th May 2006, 11:44 PM
I can confirm it ain't due to the new plug, coz my baby has the new style insulated plug.
Looks like Stuart's on the money !

dan_tom
18th May 2006, 08:28 AM
Well, the rumour I got was from the local Mitre 10. I asked if they could match the price of the $199 thicknesser and they said they couldn't get them for that cheap and told me the story of the Bunnings fight with GMC. He said to get the thicknesser at that price, as they can't get it for that!

Cheers
Dan

doug the slug
18th May 2006, 12:24 PM
The $199 price is their cost price

I went to the special orders desk yesterday to check on the progress of mine. there was a lot more writing on the order form than the last time i saw it, including the cost price to bunnings (which i had to read upside down, but thats not a problem for me, picked up a lot of info with that skill over the years) i can assure everyone that bunnings is not paying $199 for these items.

masoth
19th May 2006, 03:03 PM
G'day All,
Below is a short exchange of e-mails relative to my enquiry of three days ago:

Hi ,
Please see below for the response to your query from the National Power Tools Buyer.
Regards,

Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2006 12:35 PM
To: Justin McNamara; Fabian Giuliano
Subject: Website Query

Hi,
The following query was sent via our website, could you please respond accordingly. For tracking purposes could you also cc me in the response.

Sent: Thursday, 18 May 2006 4:25 PM
To: Customer_Service
Subject: RE: Website Query

Hi Dane
This fineline will be selling for $199.00 from June until sold out. In error due to keying etc it did appear in stores for a few days @ this price during April. It was quickly corrected so as to make sure we could support the national promo in June
thxs

Happy spending, if this is the way you want to go.
Are there any good/bad comments from new users????????

soth

inferno6688
19th May 2006, 06:54 PM
interesting. So it looks like we should all hang out at Bunnings in June for the sale!

tonysa
19th May 2006, 10:19 PM
Hi Soth

As a new user, I found it to be a little ripper.
Some of the more experienced woodies might be able to offer a better review/ comparison with other models.

Not as noisy as I thought, my little drop saw's a screamer and makes more noise than the thicknesser.

Haven't had to change any of the settings, looked ok from day one.

Rough wood in, planed thicknesser wood out. You beauty.
I've tried Pine, and small test pieces of Jarrah, Oregon, Huon all came out great. Great for resawn wood. Make sure you go with the grain.

Haven't put much through it yet, most was pallet wood to turn into stand for mothers day. But have 40m of recycled jarrah to put through it once i check it for nails and remove dried on mud and dirt.

I make the last pass very fine to ensure best finish possible. 2mm per full turn of handle, I turn it to take about 0.1mm off as the finishing pass.

With the little jointer I picked up I can get square planed timber from almost anything. Just need to TS and I'll be set. waiting, waiting, waiting for adelaide WWW Show.

For $200 - an absolute bargain. There's no way I could justify $350 - 400+ for what I want to do. PLUS I have the full warranty.

One day I'll have some boxes etc to show for my newly gained tools, but for now I'm still experimenting with finishes and construction methods on the cheap stuff.

Tony

Caliban
19th May 2006, 10:33 PM
Hi
I haven't used mine in anger yet. But I measured the cutter head to table distance on both ends and it needs some aligning (about 1 mm). No biggie just need to remove cover and turn adjustment screw. If I could put 2 feet on the ground it'd be a lot easier. Am working on a modification to the safety cover to pick up the dust. Will keep you posted.

masoth
20th May 2006, 10:18 AM
Caliban posted:
"......... But I measured the cutter head to table distance on both ends and it needs some aligning (about 1 mm)." Jim, this was (I assume) because of test results?
"Am working on a modification to the safety cover to pick up the dust. Will keep you posted." Please do. Is this need because of a lack in the design, or your preference?

Tony, your statement: " For $200 - an absolute bargain. There's no way I could justify $350 - 400+ for what I want to do. PLUS I have the full warranty." is exactly what I'm telling myself.

soth

Eagle
20th May 2006, 03:32 PM
OK here is what is really happening.

GMC are clearing some stock to make way for some new models. We traditionally do this every year as we refresh our product road.

Stock should be arriving in stores this week of an allocation of many different tools including Thicknessers. They will also have the 3G drills at a very cheap price - anyone wanting to pick up a quality cordless for a great price should check it out. Once these tools are sold that is it - there is no back up stock.

Bunnings and GMC are not having a fight - quite the contrary, they are helping clear excess stock as we make way for new lines. They will also be stocking most of those lines.

Look out for MAGNESIUM products at Fathers Day!!

Eagle:) :cool:

Jedo_03
20th May 2006, 10:10 PM
OK here is what is really happening.

GMC are clearing some stock to make way for some new models. We traditionally do this every year as we refresh our product road.

Stock should be arriving in stores this week of an allocation of many different tools including Thicknessers. They will also have the 3G drills at a very cheap price - anyone wanting to pick up a quality cordless for a great price should check it out. Once these tools are sold that is it - there is no back up stock.

Bunnings and GMC are not having a fight - quite the contrary, they are helping clear excess stock as we make way for new lines. They will also be stocking most of those lines.

Look out for MAGNESIUM products at Fathers Day!!

Eagle:) :cool:

Eagle - I'm taking your word for this - and I WILL hold you to it LOL
I will ring ring Bunnings in Mildura tomorrow and check this out...
sadness is - I live 300kms away from mildura and it'll cost me abt $100 for the round trip - so I'm saving bugger all. . .
Jedo

tonysa
20th May 2006, 10:40 PM
Caliban - Check out Stuart Lees' triton website, there's a mod to the GMC thicknesser for dust extraction.
Just think of the fun you'll ahev when you get back onto your feet :)

Masoth - did you end up getting one too ?

Cheers
Tony

tanii51
21st May 2006, 07:00 PM
went all over town looking for a gmc but they were all gone BUT....... found an ozito( bunnings marion) that was 100 dollars more and 3 year replacement warranty and its got the anti kick back and the suction attachment the same as the ryobi looked up the spec on the internet www.ozito.com.au/productinfo.aspx?prodid=ptg-971 (http://www.ozito.com.au/productinfo.aspx?prodid=ptg-971) they even quote a ryobi part number for replacement blades.
update today they got the new shipment of gmc in and they are 365 but still no anti kick back or vacuum attachment

masoth
21st May 2006, 07:14 PM
tonysa - asks "Masoth - did you end up getting one too ?"
One will be put aside, with my name on it to buy/or not in early June - local Bunnings staff say they will ring.

masoth
21st May 2006, 07:23 PM
went all over town looking for a gmc but they were all gone BUT....... found an ozito( bunnings marion) that was 100 dollars more and 3 year replacement warranty and its got the anti kick back and the suction attachment the same as the ryobi looked up the spec on the internet www.ozito.com.au/productinfo.aspx?prodid=ptg-971 (http://www.ozito.com.au/productinfo.aspx?prodid=ptg-971) they even quote a ryobi part number for replacement blades.
update today they got the new shipment of gmc in and they are 365 but still no anti kick back or vacuum attachment

Just now checked the link - not sure I'd trust the specifications, because I copied this:

<TABLE id=tblSpec style="BORDER-TOP- BORDER-LEFT- BORDER-BOTTOM- 535px; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; BORDER-RIGHT- 0px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=productSpecTableText style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f2f2f2" width="50%">Anti kickback teeth</TD><TD class=productSpecTableText style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5" width="50%">Prevents anti kickback increasing user safety</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

:D :rolleyes: :D

If you prefer to buy the GMC @ $199, try forwarding a copy of my post (#53) of two days ago, to Bunnings, Marion.

doug the slug
23rd May 2006, 06:25 PM
My $199 thicknesser should be waiting my collection early next week, and the $170 i'm saving there will go down well at the www show this weekend.

Well it took a full 10 working days but my $199 thicknesser arrived today and im part-way through setting it up, a couple of mods to do and make a bench to sit it in and off we go!!!

I am making the bench so that the outfeed extension table from the jointer is the infeed extension table for the thicknesser. im hoping it will be long enough for 99.9% of the work and for the other bit i will just have to lift one machine out at a time.:)

Auld Bassoon
23rd May 2006, 06:37 PM
<TABLE id=tblSpec style="BORDER-TOP- BORDER-LEFT- BORDER-BOTTOM- 535px; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; BORDER-RIGHT- 0px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=productSpecTableText style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f2f2f2" width="50%"></TD><TD class=productSpecTableText style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5" width="50%">Prevents anti kickback increasing user safety</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I guess that proofreading from Chinglish isn't a well known art :D :rolleyes: :D

Stuart
23rd May 2006, 06:37 PM
Keep the lower plate slippery - I found after a while the thicknesser needed a hand getting work through - thought it was wearing out or something. Lubricated the bed, and hey presto, it's back to working great!

One of these days I must replace the cheap blades with something decent- but it seems to still be doing a good job, so can't justify the time and effort.

Enjoy.

Now all I need is a jointer. (All I need - did I really say that?????)

Stuart
23rd May 2006, 06:38 PM
I guess that proofreading from Chinglish isn't a well known art :D :rolleyes: :D Yeah - we need more kickbacks!

masoth
23rd May 2006, 07:20 PM
Steve B:)
Spoil sport. Because I was quotiing I chose to not take licence to install the hyphen to properly change the message to negative.

Betcha most didn't notice - nah na nah na.:p

doug the slug
23rd May 2006, 07:33 PM
does anyone have any idea why the roller on the infeed and outfeed tables on this beast are approx 1.5mm above what seems to be a pretty uniform flat surface as far as pressed metal is concerned? should i adjust them or is itdone like that for a reason?

Landseka
23rd May 2006, 08:54 PM
My neighbor over the back fence had a win the other day.......

He had broken his 6 month old GMC Thicknesser somehow and took it back to local bunnies for replacement on warranty....

No problem says they...here is your new, replacement unit........AND.......

here is a handful of cash too :eek: which is the difference between his (full retail) price and the $199 special price.

You think he was a happy chappy?

Unfortunately I am already the owner of a Ryobi one which I reckon is the same thing, just a different colour.

Regards

Neil.

doug the slug
23rd May 2006, 09:56 PM
well i ran a piece of pine stud through the thicknesser, that worked so well i ran a piece of silky oak through the thicknesser,then i set up the jointer (yeah yeah i l know you do it the other way around but ive had the jointer for a week and a half now so i had already done some with it) then i jointed some cedar and some jacaranda and im about to go back and thickness them too! this is great!!! how did i ever get along without them??

Stuart
23rd May 2006, 10:14 PM
Not sure. See my mod that avoids the whole question.

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/%7Estuart.lees/triton/Images/Jigs/thick.jpg

tonysa
23rd May 2006, 11:31 PM
good stuff doug, you got one at the right price too
re the rollers, it sure beats me why they're higher than the tables.

i ended up doing something similar to stuart but using some melamine board instead of the ali.

might end up taking the rollers off completely
cheers
tony

bookend
23rd May 2006, 11:32 PM
Doug- Did you work out why the infeed and outfeed tables were above the flat surface?

Regards
Graeme

triden
25th May 2006, 11:26 AM
Was told by staff that three pallets will be coming in today. priced at $199.

robwil
25th May 2006, 01:58 PM
After checking this thread 3-4 times a day and going into bunnings daily (like i need an excuse) I have picked one up. Bunnings in Moorabbin have two pallets of them, minus one. Cant wait to open it and try it out.

Eagle
25th May 2006, 07:52 PM

He had broken his 6 month old GMC Thicknesser somehow and took it back to local bunnies for replacement on warranty....

here is a handful of cash too :eek: which is the difference between his (full retail) price and the $199 special price.

You think he was a happy chappy?

Unfortunately I am already the owner of a Ryobi one which I reckon is the same thing, just a different colour.

Regards

Neil.

Tell him he is very lucky and should go out and get himself a lotto ticket. I have been involved with Bunnings stores for many years and that is the best one yet. To think you take your faulty tool back for warranty after 6 months and they replace the unit and give you the difference back after the tool has been marked down because it is a clearance line - WOW!!

Good work - a win for the little guy

Eagle:)

Stuart
25th May 2006, 09:41 PM
:D I was tempted to track down the same Bunnings - wonder if they'll notice my slight mods!

robwil
25th May 2006, 10:28 PM
looks great. i am currently doing the PVC pipe Dust extraction mod with a few mods of my own. Cant wait to create some dust and chips

aabb
25th May 2006, 10:36 PM
:D I was tempted to track down the same Bunnings - wonder if they'll notice my slight mods!

Probably not :D :D :D :D

doug the slug
25th May 2006, 11:00 PM

been thinking about the implications of this for a day or so now. and it scares me. i got my thicknesser for $199 and now they have gone up to $359. if mine breaks down its gonna cost me $160 to get it repaired under warranty http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon5.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon5.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon4.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon4.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon5.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon5.gif

Landseka
26th May 2006, 11:57 AM
been thinking about the implications of this for a day or so now. and it scares me. i got my thicknesser for $199 and now they have gone up to $359. if mine breaks down its gonna cost me $160 to get it repaired under warranty http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon5.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon5.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon4.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon4.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon5.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon5.gif
:D:D:D:D Pure GOLD

durwood
26th May 2006, 02:39 PM
Thicknesser arrived at Shellharbour Bunnings this morning. Mine is up and going am just about to start Stuart's dust collector mod this afternoon.

Stuart
26th May 2006, 02:53 PM
Give some thought to taking the dust out sideways, rather than a T intersection. Unless it funnels down to the 4" pipe, it can create choke points in the corners. If it is sideways, you can also put small holes in the blocked end to encourage airflow through the tube to carry the dust in the right direction.

(I'm thinking (and in discussion with Doug), of going for Mk2!)

Beaton
26th May 2006, 04:50 PM
Just droped in bunnies on stock road near spearwood Perth and saw at least 15 sitting on a pallet,Heading back down their with my $199:)

Stuart
26th May 2006, 05:23 PM
The whole country will soon have perfectly thicknessed timber!

robwil
26th May 2006, 08:21 PM
Finished the PVC mod and it works a treat. I cut the slot and then i heated the edge of the pipe with a blow torch to bend the bottom out to get a better seal. It works great with my 1HP GMC dusty. Ive also mounted it to an el-cheapo bench-n-vice, Im happy

tonysa
26th May 2006, 10:58 PM
any photos robwil ???

masoth
26th May 2006, 11:01 PM
Stuart,

"The whole country will soon have perfectly thicknessed timber!"

........... and I STILL don't have one. You'd think 'M' in Mildura is the last letter of the alphabet.;)

lesmeyer
27th May 2006, 12:59 AM
Bunnings in Balcatta (Perth) received a whole lot of the machines. I was told it will be advertised in the new calalogue for $199 but already selling for that price. Purchased one even though I have the Carbatec 15". At the price could not let it go by.:D
Les

robwil
27th May 2006, 07:13 AM
i would post some but i cant get them under 100k

chrisb691
27th May 2006, 09:05 AM
Download irfanview, it's free, then you can crop, resize and reduce the number of colours (to 256). If the pic is still too large, save as a jpeg and you can play with the compression settings.

Coldamus
27th May 2006, 02:33 PM
No wonder the forum is quiet this morning. Everyone must be down at Bunnings!

I picked one up at Bunnings Lidcombe. There were other GMC tools on special out the front. I had to ask about the thicknesser but there was one tucked away on a shelf with the $199 price under it.

The sales guy looked up a sheet and said there were more out the back. They are being held for release when the new catalogue comes out on June 5 but will probably be brought out front during the coming week.

Before going out back to get one, he asked how many I wanted. I don't even need one but at the price I was not going to pass it up. I said "just one" but am thinking that was a mistake. Anyway, at the moment, there seem to be plenty for everyone.

regards,
Coldamus

petermac
27th May 2006, 03:04 PM
I just picked up one at Bunnings in Altona. They have about a dozen in stock. When I got there the price was $369 :confused:. I told the sale assistant that they were only $199 at the Moorabbin store, so she rang the store to confirm the price and after talking to her manager they agreed to match the price :). She then scanned the bar code and the computer said the price was $199 after all. Altona have now torn up the $369 price tag and replaced it with $199.

So if the price on the shelf is more than $199 get the sales assistant to scan the bar code and the price should be $199.

Krunchy
27th May 2006, 06:19 PM
Hi Everyone,

I've just picked mine up from Stafford Bunnings. There was no price marked on it so I asked one of the staff and he said $369.

He then told me that I had been the 4th person in that day asking about the GMC after about 6 months of no enquiries at all :D (looks like Bunnings around Oz are being invaded by forumites :eek: )

I told him that I "heard" that the GMC was coming on special at $199 which he told me was true but he didn't know when. :confused: I asked if he could do the price early and he checked the computer and it was now coming up at $199.

He said that sometimes they drop the prices late in the afternoon so they are ready for the start of trade the next day.

Anyways I'm very happy with the purchase and if anyone is interested there are 3 still on the shelf at Stafford.

Cheers,
Krunchy

duckman
27th May 2006, 06:49 PM
On my way home from some business near Melbourne I checked four Bunnings stores today. My local one, Cranbourne, Vic, the most 'busted a**e' store in the chain didn't have any stock at all. Typical!

Bunnings at Clayton- One only display model.
Bunnings, Dandenong- None. Only the $359.00 model and there was no-one around to ask about price matching.
Bunnings, Fountain Gate- At least one pallet of them at $199.00, but the pallet was on the high rack and they can't access that while the store is open to the public so they took my name and number and have promised to call when they get them down. Harrumphhh...

Not happy, Jan.

doug the slug
27th May 2006, 06:55 PM
Give some thought to taking the dust out sideways, rather than a T intersection. Unless it funnels down to the 4" pipe, it can create choke points in the corners. If it is sideways, you can also put small holes in the blocked end to encourage airflow through the tube to carry the dust in the right direction.

(I'm thinking (and in discussion with Doug), of going for Mk2!)

thanks for the credits, Stu,

Im hoping to get started on mine this week as part of the entire workshop revamp/relocate thing. im also wondering if its worth rolling part of the original guard up and securing the 100mmm pipe to it with a tec screw or three so that the whole unit can be fixed to the thicknesser by the two wingnuts that secure the guard,with a little bit of help to secure the bottom. putting some holes in the endcap sounds like a great idea to encourage positive airflow.

doug the slug
27th May 2006, 07:31 PM
Hi everyone, ive just taken the initiative to open a new thread to discuss the dust extraction mod to the gmc thicknesser as this thread is getting rather long and it would be a shame to lose valuable info on the mod in amongst gloating over teh price and bunnings/gmc internal politics, so if you have ideas on the mod please post them in the new thread

thankshttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif

nakal
27th May 2006, 07:44 PM
There were two GMC thicknessers for $199 at the Bunnings in Kalamunda when I was there today. So anyone in Perth looking for a cheap thicknesser head down there. They are open tomorrow from 7am to 7pm.

Glenn_M
27th May 2006, 08:31 PM
Got mine at the Nunawading store yesterday. Got a pallet of 'em there marked at $199.

Glenn