PDA

View Full Version : Help please - drill press not working

Luddite
8th May 2006, 09:52 PM
All,

I was using my Rexon drill press on the weekend when smoke started comming out the top. Being alert, not alarmed, I switched off the machine. On further investigation I found the press switch had become so hot that it had started to melt.

Any reason why this would suddenly happen? I consider it unlikely that the switch would suddenly melt without an associated problem causing the meltdown....more likely a problem with a short in the motor or the capacitor etc.

Has this hapenned to you? Any assistance with troubleshooting would be appreciated; including a supplier of a new switch.

Regards,

Anthony

Jim Carroll
8th May 2006, 10:23 PM
Anthony you have broken the golden rule of electrical equipement.

"DO NOT LET THE SMOKE OUT".

You are correct in your assumption that there may be more to the effect and that is the cause. Best take it to your local motor repairer and get them to check over the motor and replace the switch. It may be just the switch and you get of lucky this time but as you say there could be a fault in the motor to cause this.

Knurl
8th May 2006, 11:02 PM
Anthony,

It can be caused by that old reliable cause of smoke - stuff burning. Funny that wood burns, really (sarcasm is the lowest form of wit). Inside your switch is a lot of sawdust that's warm and dry and the current is passing through the sawdust to complete the electrical circuit of your drill press and offering high resistance (heat).

I wouldn't take it in for repair, I'd take the housing off and brush out the sawdust and I think you might find that the smoke goes away. I hope it does. If it doesn't then the shortcircuit has probably destroyed the body of the switch and other components and may in the worst case have destroyed capacitors or motor windings - but you'd know about windings because windings have a pungent smell and a lot different to burning sawdust.

A melted switch is good for nothing really...it's gone to heaven and needs to be replaced anyway. It's all a matter of degree of melting and how fast you were able to pull the plug.

Luddite
9th May 2006, 10:35 PM
To all respondents,

Thanks for your help.

I did a yahoo search last night at about 10pm for Rexon spares. I found Walker Equipment at Silverwater, and left a message asking for a supplier for the switch. This morning i was in my car at 7.30 and the phone rang - a guy from Walker Equipment.........takes longer to get a taxi these days. Excellent service!!

He gave me some contacts, and some advise if I torch the new switch.

Really reassuring to know the bit of gear you use is so well supported in Australia.

Anthony