PDA

View Full Version : Removing Fence posts.

lnt9000
8th May 2006, 11:33 PM
I thought it would have been covered before, did a search but to no avail, I'm about to embark on another paling fence replacement, now the previous one I'd done was next to a vacant block and to remove the redgum posts I used a 4wd and chain, very effective but dangerous, however on this occasion I have limited room and need to devise a different (safer ) method, the mind starts to wander and conceive strange and wonderful apparatus which would require more effort than erecting the fence itself, I have heard of a seesaw type device constructed from a length of 4x2 and bridged up near the post with someone swinging on the other end, but not sure how effective it would be, especially if the post is embedded in concrete, any ideas guys?.

echnidna
8th May 2006, 11:38 PM
If the posts are in concrete start digging.
Or cut them off at ground level and move the new posts along a bit.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th May 2006, 11:43 PM
I thought it would have been covered before, did a search but to no avail, I'm about to embark on another paling fence replacement, now the previous one I'd done was next to a vacant block and to remove the redgum posts I used a 4wd and chain, very effective but dangerous, however on this occasion I have limited room and need to devise a different (safer ) method, the mind starts to wander and conceive strange and wonderful apparatus which would require more effort than erecting the fence itself, I have heard of a seesaw type device constructed from a length of 4x2 and bridged up near the post with someone swinging on the other end, but not sure how effective it would be, especially if the post is embedded in concrete, any ideas guys?.

Embedded in conc? As in a few shovels thrown down the hole, or as in a paved area?

I'm afraid I'm a great fan of the good ol' method of diggin a hole to one side and pushing the post over. Very character building, as well as putting hairs on yer chest and bulges on yer biceps.

That's why whenever such a job's on my agenda I give it to the apprentice. :D

But seriously, if they've been conc'd in properly a hole is the only way to go. Trying to lift/lever 'em out is harder work in the long run than just grabbing a shovel.

Ashore
9th May 2006, 12:04 AM
You could use all sorts of ways
Digging around
Using a piviot and block
etc
etc
but the best advice has already been given by echnidna "Or cut them off at ground level and move the new posts along a bit."

Rgds

mic-d
9th May 2006, 09:01 AM
I've had success using a lever of 3m length of 4x2 resting on a stub 100x100post and a chain for posts in soil. Otherwise cut them off at close to ground level and sledge hammer them down and new post beside.

Cheers
Michael

jimc
9th May 2006, 11:23 AM
If you have the 4WD, you probably have a high lift jack and various chains. Chain up the botom of the post and use the high lift jack to lift them out.

Certainly beats digging out the old posts.

MurrayD99
9th May 2006, 01:08 PM
A neat approach is to use the 4wd and a snig chain around the post at ground level but put the chain up over a big old steel wheel - like the wide, lugged drive wheel out of a horse-drawn binder/reaper - rested against the post. That way you get a direct upwards lift (tangential to the wheel where it touches the post). Oh ho - out it comes!

Wizened of Oz
9th May 2006, 04:00 PM
A variation on Murray's method.
Put the chain around the post at ground level and pass it up over another post or similar place about 30 cm away and leaning into the in-ground post. As you drive forward the post is pulled out vertically. Really needs 2 people.
Hope this is clear.

Feralbilly
9th May 2006, 06:19 PM
The way I get reluctant star pickets out is using a hydraulic trolley jack.
A loop in the end of a piece of chain (Made with the help of a handy shackle) goes over the lifting plate of the jack. The jack stands on a piece of timber if the ground is soft and up against the picket.
The chain goes round the picket in a double hitch as tight as you can get it.
Start pumping and up she comes. Far less effort than digging holes in the clay we have.

Billy

lnt9000
11th May 2006, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the response guy's, armed with the Information provided I can now confidently mount an aggressive approach to the removal of these posts, they dont stand a chance.:D
Cheers.

glock40sw
12th May 2006, 08:33 AM
Half a stick of Gelly works great....:D :D :D :D .

DavidG
12th May 2006, 05:00 PM
Half a stick of Gelly works great....:D :D :D :D .
Hard to get nowadays though.
Used to buy it over the counter at the local hardware store once but the law put a stop to it.

I use my little backhoe loader and a chain to pull star steel posts out.

echnidna
12th May 2006, 08:35 PM
I found a recipe for nitro glycerine online the other day didn't bookmark it.

ozwinner
12th May 2006, 09:18 PM
Google it. (http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=nitroglycerin+recipe&spell=1)

Im not a terrorist, honest.

Al :eek: