PDA

View Full Version : Where do I start?

Josie
9th May 2006, 04:19 PM
I recently bought a great house with a horrible old asbestos shed. I am planning on replacing the old shed with a garden shed in a different location. I need something big enough to store a mower, a couple of bicycles and some gardening equipment but I don't want to build the taj mahal and I don't want to spend a fortune.

I'd be interested in your opinions regarding design, what $$s I should look at, the best materials and:
*whether I should get it built,
*call in a favour from some handy friends (I don't want to stretch the friendship too far) or
*go for a pre-fab and try to do it myself (remembering of course I haven't any experience with building but I'm willing to work hard).

Thanks all.;)
Josie

Pat
9th May 2006, 04:52 PM
Josie, first of all check with your local council for all the pollava to do with what they allow you to build in your yard. Here in Wallygong council area, I am only allowed to build 3m x 3m structure without planning permission. To build larger it costs some 700 pancakes for permission. Be aware that a lot of councils use aerial photos to check for illegal buildings and most are making the occupants remove the structure now, not pay the planning fee after completion. The neighboorhood busy body is another source of info for councils too and you cannot beat them as council does not have to inform you of whom is informing on you.:mad:

Also you will have be really careful removing the old asbestos shed. It could cost a few thou to have it removed or your life if you remove it yourself and scrimp/ take short cuts. The solid stuff is ok, double bagged, but the friable stuff <1mm is the stuff that can ruin your life. Plus getting a bin is a bit exe and all councils take a very dim view of people dumping it anywhere.

Bluegum
9th May 2006, 09:10 PM
yep i agree with pat on this one. Check the council regs out first before you do to much. My parents live just south of the Gong and they didn't have to many issues removing their old asbestos shed. I don't know the full ins and outs of it all, but they reckoned it wasn't to bad at all.

bsrlee
9th May 2006, 09:22 PM
What Pat said. Your major difficulty/expense is going to be to get rid of the old fibro shed, not a new garden shed.

A 3 m x 3 m 'Colourbond' shed is the standard NSW Council approved maximum garden shed - whack a few shelves inside & you'd be surprised what you can get in there. Most kit sheds go together with a screwdriver & hammer, maybe a ladder & a couple of friends to hold things in place as the walls & roof go up.

Basically a 2 weekend project - weekend 1 - level site & lay base, wait a week for cement to set, sore knees to heal. Weekend 2 - whack shed together & bolt down, move shelving in, then gear. Have Barbie.

echnidna
9th May 2006, 09:36 PM
Put the old shed on ebay for a dollar with buyer to remove.
You might get lucky

some_one
12th May 2006, 04:08 PM
Recently state govt. has relaxed some need for permits or relaxed it..does anyone have details..move to vic, here they act every eight years..or nearly there..