PDA

View Full Version : Lines take-off

onthebeachalone
11th May 2006, 08:27 AM
I would be interested in any suggestions about techniques for using one or more modern, builders laser levels, to take-off the lines/offsets of a boat standing on the hard (obviously). Does anybody have actual experience?

Wild Dingo
11th May 2006, 12:43 PM
Woodenboat magazine had a feature on doing this a couple of years ago I will see if I can find the magazine article on cd and send it to you if you like?... Its one of the few articles thats really stuck in my head over time as it didnt seem that hard since all you have to do is corelate the cross sections and do some measuring with tapes rules and tick sticks... this may in fact be even easier when you look at some of the laser levels on the market nowadays some include distances from X to Y etc... but it may take a few weeks as Im off to the mine this arvo and wont be back for 2 weeks.

onthebeachalone
11th May 2006, 01:57 PM
Great, thanks! If you can come up with the info, I'll see if I can get the OK from the Maritime Museum to measure up the lugger, just as an exercise.

No rush. I have plenty else to do meantime.

Daddles
11th May 2006, 02:03 PM
I'll see if I can get the OK from the Maritime Museum to measure up the lugger, just as an exercise.

You might find that not only does someone in the Maritime Museum know how to do it, but they have the gear already. Worth a try anyway - good lead in question anyway.

Richard

onthebeachalone
13th May 2006, 08:17 AM
I don't know if this should be here or on the Lugger thread.

My contact the the Queensland Maritime Museum tells me that measuring the lines of the lugger Penguin is a project they intend to undertake, but it has gone onto the backburner until a more pressing project, repairing the dry dock so that the lightship Carpentaria and the frigate Diamantina can be preserved, is complete. Both of these ships were resturned to the dry dock earlier this week and the dock is now in the process of being emptied for the last time.

For those interested in more about this project http://www.maritimemuseum.com.au/museum/dry-dock.htm

Anyway, when the measuring of Penguin takes place I will do my best to be involved and share the experience here.

Daddles
13th May 2006, 04:15 PM
Now here's a cheeky thought. They probably aren't getting the lines because they don't have the man power. However, if someone were to volunteer their labour ... ;)

It's worth a try.

Richard

onthebeachalone
13th May 2006, 05:27 PM
Now here's a cheeky thought. They probably aren't getting the lines because they don't have the man power. However, if someone were to volunteer their labour ... ;)

It's worth a try.

Richard
I've volunteered. See what happens.

Wild Dingo
16th May 2006, 12:51 PM
And whatever happens remember to take copious notes on a daily basis take digimal camera with clean empty storage thingy and plenty of batteries taking pics of every step and stage...

THEN post them here!!! :cool:

Daddles
16th May 2006, 06:13 PM
THEN post them here!!! :cool:

Especially the ones where you're getting it wrong :D

Richard
(well, why should I be the only one :rolleyes: )