PDA

View Full Version : Women + machinery + vehicle + oh oh!

Aberdeen
11th May 2006, 10:19 PM
http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/2347/saw34ku.th.jpg (http://img136.imageshack.us/my.php?image=saw34ku.jpg)http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/2347/saw34ku.jpgA true story from 9 May 2006

A well meaning wife and upstanding professional person wanted to please her new husband's needs.

He wanted a bandsaw to complete his woodworking kit.
It was his birthday tomorrow !

Quietly she left the office, raced home, picked up the ute and off to the machinery supply business at Lonsdale.

The lads there loaded the new piece of equipment onto the ute and off she went - smiling while scurrying home - it began to rain...... she needed to get back to the office before the other half decided to ask where she had been.

Up the driveway, automatic roller door up - probably about 20km/h for a fast, into the garage escape from sight. After all she didn't want this present to get wet either.

So what is the problem you ask?

Ute tray about 3' high+
Bandsaw on top of ute tray another 6'

TOTAL about 9' (2.75m)

Height of garage with the brick lintel overhead
About 6' 5" (1.9m)

It probably doesn't take a 'legal mind' to work this one out or get 'court' - or does it ???

Harry72
11th May 2006, 10:45 PM
Oh well at least she was doing the right thing... buying you tools... beats socks!
Does the machine still work ok?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
11th May 2006, 11:05 PM
I bet he wasn't sill enough to try to start it... the motor mounts in the stand with a belt up through the 'ole ya can see. ;)

Aberdeen, from what I can see it's a relatively simple fix; you could probably get away with using only a shifter, mash hammer and a couple of blocks of wood to beat it back into usable shape. The back edge where she's creased might be a hassle, but nothing imposiible.

Good on yer Missus for the thought anyway, I've seen blokes doing worse damage when trying to unload from the back of a ute. "Need a hand?" "Nar mate, she's apples" said with much flexing of biceps. [crash, tinkle, tinkle] "Oops!" :D

Aberdeen
11th May 2006, 11:12 PM
Oh well at least she was doing the right thing... buying you tools... beats socks!
Does the machine still work ok?

Fortunately not my wife, it is the wife of a friend!
Would never let my missus near anything in or likely to be in my shed :eek:
Besides mine wouldn't know a bevel from a router....... at least Craig's new missus worked out what a bandsaw was.

The hubby has managed to strip it down, belt it about a bit and get it working (the bandsaw that is :) )

Aberdeen
11th May 2006, 11:17 PM
I'll give his missus full points for doing the right thing even if it turned out a disaster at first. Hubby has got it up and running, a few obvious creases in the base and paint cracks/chips but it works now....
Not too sure on the future of the garage brickwork though :D

Lucky the main unit was solid, cast if I recall, the base metal stand crumbled almost like it had been designed for crashing into garages :) a biut like crumple zones on modern cars !

It's working a charm now, he has even let the little lady play with his new tool! Ah young love..........:rolleyes:

I bet he wasn't sill enough to try to start it... the motor mounts in the stand with a belt up through the 'ole ya can see. ;)

Aberdeen, from what I can see it's a relatively simple fix; you could probably get away with using only a shifter, mash hammer and a couple of blocks of wood to beat it back into usable shape. The back edge where she's creased might be a hassle, but nothing imposiible.

Good on yer Missus for the thought anyway, I've seen blokes doing worse damage when trying to unload from the back of a ute. "Need a hand?" "Nar mate, she's apples" said with much flexing of biceps. [crash, tinkle, tinkle] "Oops!" :D

chrisb691
11th May 2006, 11:20 PM
A true story from 9 May 2006

A well meaning wife and upstanding professional person wanted to please her new husband's needs.

He wanted a bandsaw to complete his woodworking kit.
It was his birthday tomorrow !

Quietly she left the office, raced home, picked up the ute and off to the machinery supply business at Lonsdale.

The lads there loaded the new piece of equipment onto the ute and off she went - smiling while scurrying home - it began to rain...... she needed to get back to the office before the other half decided to ask where she had been.

Up the driveway, automatic roller door up - probably about 20km/h for a fast, into the garage escape from sight. After all she didn't want this present to get wet either.

So what is the problem you ask?

Ute tray about 3' high+
Bandsaw on top of ute tray another 6'

TOTAL about 9' (2.75m)

Height of garage with the brick lintel overhead
About 6' 5" (1.9m)

It probably doesn't take a 'legal mind' to work this one out or get 'court' - or does it ???

I reckon she sent you a very strong message.:D

Aberdeen
11th May 2006, 11:29 PM
Hey Chris,
My wife knows better than buy me secret machinery - in all kindness she doesn't know the difference between a compound mitre saw and a lathe!
Love her lots though, but she is happy (and safer in the house)
Probably the same that I know better than to buy her clothes for a present - been there, done that........ big mistake.:D

Craigs new wife did better than socks, will be interested to see if that changes over the next 10 to 15 yrs :rolleyes: and she changes from buying him machinery to jocks'n socks :D

Aberdeen
11th May 2006, 11:39 PM
http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/7511/saw3hy.jpg

Closer up photo, notice lack of motor - all back together now and straight as a drunks walk - but works well - good advert for the sturdiness of the main unit - Did come with an inbuilt angle cut for a while :)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
11th May 2006, 11:49 PM
The real test would be getting it tracking accurately enough to make a band-sawn box in time for her birthday to show proper appreciation... ;)

Ashore
12th May 2006, 12:07 AM
Aberdeen from what you have posted the obvious answer is your friend needs a bigger shed,

How many shmbo's would consider buying a bandsaw as a birthday gift let alone picking it up etc etc , so he built the shed too small, ie that is the axcess , his own fault, how many on this forum have had their shmbo or hhmbo be so attuned to their wood tool wants to go and buy without their knowledge a realy great woodworking present

Rgds

Canetoad
12th May 2006, 12:35 AM
and I bet the poor lady felt absolutely terrible. being just the kind of girl to do that kind of thing, when you think and plan out something so well for your hubby and in your glee of doing something secret you do something silly....it sucks!

Canetoad's wife.

Ashore
12th May 2006, 01:07 AM
and I bet the poor lady felt absolutely terrible. being just the kind of girl to do that kind of thing, when you think and plan out something so well for your hubby and in your glee of doing something secret you do something silly....it sucks!

Canetoad's wife.

Logging in under anothers name is naughty
As punishment you now have to register and log in regularly under your own name

Rgds

TTIT
12th May 2006, 02:13 PM
If I could find a woman who was prepared to buy me a big new toy like a bandsaw, I would possibly consider getting married again :eek: :) .

Ha-HA - NOT IN THIS LIFE!!!!!

Wongo
12th May 2006, 02:44 PM
Nice bendsaw. :D

Wild Dingo
12th May 2006, 02:55 PM
Im tryin to imagine the love of my life getting into the ute to drive the beast anywhere!! :eek: Let alone going 200+ klicks to Perth picking up the bansaw and bringing it back!! :D:D:D See my love is just a smidgen over 4ft 8in high in her high heels and weighs a smidge over 4 stone sopping wet!! Doesnt reach the steering wheel of the F100 let alone the pedals or see over the dash Im tryin to imagine her face if she tried to turn the steering wheel!! no power steering in my ute ;) ... and wouldnt know a bandsaw from a jack plane... mmmm she wouldnt know a jack plane from a... oh buggar it she just wouldnt know!!! :D I heard her describe the shed to her mother once with a completely baffled look on her sweet face "The cave of mysterious loud noises and steel things he calls tools in the corner of the block where he disappears to and returns carrying something made of wood" Its beyond her... actually... She wandered out there the other day so I gave up my treasured moaning chair for her to park her date on but she wouldnt have a bit of it and remained firmly outside the shed and refused point blank to enter!! So we had this long discourse about something Im totally baffled by in her quilting sewing center thingy while I sat comfortably at the bench in my comfy moaning chair and she stood outside in the cold arvo air... gawd I gots her trained well eh!!;)

Good on her for showing him she cares!!! :cool: Tuff luck for him for havin such a small door opening... he being man ugh ugh ugh should have considered that the door would need to be at least as high as the highest machine on the back of the ute... I give him 2 dumass awards and her 4 sweetheard awards for tryin :p ;) :D :cool: