PDA

View Full Version : Andy's Pen Blank?

CameronPotter
11th May 2006, 11:37 PM
Hi all,

A while ago Andy Mac requested a stainless brush finished polaris pencil. Well, the kit has arrived (and looks BRILLIANT - Jim Carroll has some more I think if you want to order some).

Anyway, what kind of blank should I use?

Numbered from left to right:

1. Micarta
2. Eucalyptus burl
3. Eucalyptus (with some borer problems that could be filled with coffee...)
4. Home made resin
5. Tas. myrtle (low figuring)
6. Tas. myrtle (medium figuring)
7. Tas. myrtle (high figuring (but may have some hidden flaws)
8. Stabilised sassafras
9. -12. Sassafras

Obviously Andy get the casting vote, but I am not used to dealing with grey colours and I want to get this right, what do you guys reckon?

Cam

Skew ChiDAMN!!
11th May 2006, 11:54 PM
To quote somebody or other :D I reckon some pix would be nice...

CameronPotter
11th May 2006, 11:57 PM
To quote somebody or other :D I reckon some pix would be nice...

You mean you are not psychic either?? :D

Actually, I brought up the box but forgot to hit upload. :rolleyes:

Old message is now editted as it should have been.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
12th May 2006, 12:23 AM
As a rule of thumb, I've found reddish timbers (or other material) are best highligted by gold fittings. Blues & greens look good with silver, although tend to have a "cold" appearance.

But having said that, I can't help but wonder how your homebrew resin (no 4) or... no 8? the stabilised sass? would look with it. Or maybe the last piece of sass? Better still, just buy a few kits and find out by doing! ;):D

Wild Dingo
12th May 2006, 03:19 AM
Well... having blown out a banksia blank in frustrated anger at missing my flight this arvo I settled on a sassafras one and mate its brilliant!... the two tone coloring is great... pics when I hide the banksia one :rolleyes: but I may yet figure a way of hiding that wee hole I made in the centre of the blank... but mate I reckon that 1st Euc burl looks like it would work a treat :cool:

ooh and I just want to say to whoever it was that suggested I try it that shellawax works bloody beautifully!! So thanks! :cool:

ooh go the 1st Euc Burl mate ;)

CameronPotter
12th May 2006, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the input so far.

I know that Andy is probably more interested in wood than synthetic (as he told me himself). In fact, he doesn't even want it laminated. I was tending towards one of the darker sass. ones myself. I put the others up just in case.

I don't know how the Gum burl would go with silver fittings? Might work?

I actually bought a two of the pencils and a pen so that I could "experiment" if necessary. :D

Cam

RufflyRustic
12th May 2006, 11:17 AM
Hi Cam,

out of the woods posted and knowing Andy, I's guess the burl, the highly figured myrtle and Sass.

Don't worry about the grey - the colours will shine when you put the finish on, especially the Sass.

cheers
Wendy

CameronPotter
12th May 2006, 11:24 AM
Yeah, but the silver is quite pale and I wouldn't want it to detract from the wood (or clash with the wood) which is why I was thinking about a darker bit of wood. Actually, Andy suggested sassy first, but I wasn't sure if I had a piece that was dark enough. However, having investigated my blanks bag I think I do - but I told him that I would do this post anyway, so here it is. :D

Thanks for the advice, looking forward to hearing from Andy himself.

Cam

ss_11000
12th May 2006, 03:50 PM
i rekon the second last one would look good.

CameronPotter
12th May 2006, 03:53 PM
I would need to be careful drilling that one as the alternative colour goes across the blanks corner (so I would have to drill it off centre to make base use of it).

But that would be OK. :cool: I hope. :o ;)

Cam

Andy Mac
12th May 2006, 07:28 PM
Hi Cam,
Fridays are my day off, no sitting at a desk with the computer on, so I haven't logged on till now. Been in the shed grinding and welding!!:D:cool::D Thanks for posting progress photos of this, all very exciting!:D I'm still pretty content with the Sassy, maybe that darker striped one second (or third) from the end.

Cheers mate

Mmmmm.....that Eucalypt burl is pretty nice too!:o You seem pretty good with resins to fill it!

Skew ChiDAMN!!
12th May 2006, 07:59 PM
He said he's got a few kits... just get 'im to make all three and send 'em your way for final selection. ;)

CameronPotter
13th May 2006, 04:20 PM
Sassy it is, I will get onto it tomorrow.

Arrghhh. I was going to glue it tonight, but the tubes need a 3/8" drill bit. I think that it is about the only bit I am missing... :mad:

Off to the shops tomorrow then. :rolleyes:

Cam