PDA

View Full Version : Finishing Baltic Pine

Dart
11th May 2006, 11:48 PM
We have a small Calif Bungalow which has Baltic Pine as the original flooring. House built in 1925. Boards are in good condition. Can anyone suggest what can be done once finished to help with durability as the timber is not hard and will wear quickly we think. Any coatings that can be applied to achieve this?
Appreciate your suggestions.

MelbSander
2nd June 2006, 09:54 PM
Baltic Pine looks magnificent when finished with a clear polyurethane. It creates a hard wearing, moisture resistant barrier. The timber will bash fairly easily, but the polyurethane will still hold to it and the bumps and bashes add to the character of an old floor.

The alternative would be an oil or wax finish. These give a more traditional/rustic look, but require regular maintenance and re-oiling/waxing. Beautiful if you have the patience/money for it.

Moose65
3rd June 2006, 11:30 PM
I too wish to sand and finish baltics. but the gaps between the top face of the boards are up to 1mm. I was considering ripping them up, re-leveling the floor, laying some underfloor insulation and then refixing the boards....but that all seem a bit too much work, and I will probably kill several floor boards in the process (and they will probably shrink/move anyway).

So if I am thinking I will just sand and polyurathane. do I need some other product/filler prior to the poly - or do I just "pour it down the gaps"

Al