PDA

View Full Version : Wood Delivery

havenoideaatall
12th May 2006, 10:46 AM
Got home last night to find the monthly delivery of redgum for the woodburner sitting against the door of the shed.

Looks like I will get more exercise which frankly is welcome.

Despite Chief asking for small, splitted sizes they have supplied sizing that will
involve me having to split each piece into 3.

People that order wood, do you intend to split it before burning, or do you order it smaller such that you don't generally have to?

I'm planning on cutting up a few trees too but Chief is at home with baby and cannot split wood herself.

Have

RufflyRustic
12th May 2006, 11:09 AM
Redgum???? Woodburner????? :confused: AARRRGGGHHHH :eek: :eek: :eek: :mad:

We split it, big bits for slow burning, medium bits and kindling, in other words whatever happens when the axe hits the wood

cheers
Wendy

havenoideaatall
12th May 2006, 01:08 PM
Redgum???? Woodburner????? :confused: AARRRGGGHHHH :eek: :eek: :eek: :mad:

We split it, big bits for slow burning, medium bits and kindling, in other words whatever happens when the axe hits the wood

cheers
Wendy

Indeed, it was just that no piece was ready to go in, ready to burn for her.

If this was another line of business, you'd ring up the shop and send it all back(!)

RufflyRustic
12th May 2006, 01:16 PM
yeah very true, I wouldn't want to be expecting and having to face trying to swing an axe - not going to happen.

I too would be peeved if the wood sizes delivered wasn't what was expected.

cheers
Wendy

Stuart
12th May 2006, 02:51 PM
I've been wondering about these GMC powered log splitters - looks a bit like a motorised superjaws with a wedge. Delivers about 4 tonnes of force from memory.

Course you don't get the axe-swinging exercise either......

havenoideaatall
12th May 2006, 04:02 PM
Friends hired one a few years back - not a GMC.

They're great.

There's nothing in this delivery I can't split with a 6lb splitter.

Just 10 minutes work each evening.

Toymaker Len
18th May 2006, 09:36 PM
I'm afraid I'd be ringing the firewood supplier and telling them what the problem is, suggesting they come and take their wood back and replace it with properly split wood which suits your fire... or you won't pay them and will transfer your future business to another supplier. You can be damn sure they know what they have done and if you don't react they will have you marked as an easy target and you will get ripped off every delivery from now on.