PDA

View Full Version : Compost Questions

JDub
12th May 2006, 11:26 AM
Hey all. :)

I have two very large deciduous trees on my block that have almost finished dropping there 'autumn load'. A couple of trailers loads worth at least.

In the past I have just taken it to the local recycle yard but thought this year i should make better use of it and use it as mulch/compost.

Only issue is, putting the leaves straight on the garden bed is no good as they just blow away given a little wind, and its way to big a quanitity to put it through one of those small backyard mulchers.

So to the questions:

1) Should I set aside an area for a compost pile, wait till it breaks down a bit then use the leaves?

2) If so, Will it be ok to use this broken down material straight over the top of the existing woodchip mulch? Not keen to dig it into the soil as this will disturb the plants.

3) Is it of any benefit adding the composted/broken down material on top of the woodchip or will this just provide an area for new weeds to grow?

Cheers
Joel

Zed
12th May 2006, 11:49 AM
mow them with your mower then add to a compost pile, works well....

DavidG
12th May 2006, 04:53 PM
1. Suck em up with one of the leaf suckers. Smashes the leaves to bits ready for putting straight on the garden. Add a little nitrogen when they start to break down.

or

2. Put the sucker into reverse and blow all the leaves next door. :p :rolleyes:

JDub
12th May 2006, 05:24 PM
2. Put the sucker into reverse and blow all the leaves next door. :p :rolleyes:

The windy days last week did most of that for me ;) LOL

magnet 12
12th May 2006, 05:40 PM
Putting on top of wood chips not of great use since makes it harder for worms etc to take down into soil. I'd mow to break em up and set aside, or put in compost heap, with some Dynamic lifter or other high nitrogen fertiliser and a bit of lime. So long as doesn't get too damp won't take too long to break down to compost.

johnc
12th May 2006, 07:57 PM
Green lawn clippings mixed in with the dry leaves help the breaking down process as well, that and some added moisture help get the worms munching. Running the things through a lawn mower as per Zed and done on an unmown lawn does the whole job very easily.

masoth
12th May 2006, 10:08 PM
......... and, just to add to the lawn-mower idea; spread the leaves evenly over the lawn area, then, when you mow tiny bits of the leaves will remain in the lawn providing natural fertiliser and eventually improve the soil texture under the lawn.
Of course, depending on the planted grass, you may need to rake HARD once a year to de-thatch the lawn and aerate.

soth

Buzza
17th May 2006, 10:28 PM
Buy a cheap black plastic compot bin, and a small bag of "Blood & Bone". Throw in your leaves until they are about a foot deep, and sprinkle on a thin coating of blood and bone, then top it off with some dirt. Repeat this until your leaves are cleaned up. By the way, kitchen scraps and and dead pets can go in as the rule is "If it lived before, it can be composted". You will soon find lots of stuff to put into the bin, and when you reach the top, a final cover of dirt and a few litres of water gently sprinkled on to it all, will make it go. The end result is a nice pile of compost for your trees to feed on.

Buzza

zenwood
17th May 2006, 11:26 PM
Couple of trailer loads piled into a heap. Put a bit of earth on top to help the greeblies get going. Keep it moist with a hose if it starts to dry out. Turn it a couple of times (say once a month), then you'll have a bucket load of compost. Make it an on-going concern by making two heaps: let one decompose while you build the other out of all vegetable waste.

JDub
19th May 2006, 11:29 AM
I have two major issues that have stopped me composting in the past:

1) Laziness, I figure If I need good rich soil I will just go and buy a tralier load for $30 or so (as I have done in the past)

2) Most of my garden beds are mulched with woodchip. To use the compost I would have to remove the chip, add the compost, then replace the chip.... Im sure I have read somewhere, it is not in the plants best interest to disturb the mulch too much as it can damage the surface roots etc..... (gardeners please correct me if Im wrong ;) )

Cheers
Joel

zenwood
19th May 2006, 12:41 PM
Yep: those are 2 good reasons not to compost.:)