PDA

View Full Version : How to turn a pen

Hagrid
12th May 2006, 06:04 PM
This is a very basic start so i am sorry if i ofend anyone or if it has been done before however i did this for a year seven class and thought i would post here first to get some feed back on it and see if there is any more i should add.

this is the finished Pen

Thank you for your time

Mark

CameronPotter
12th May 2006, 06:12 PM
Nice looking blank - what is it?

I assume that the post on "how to" is coming? I know of at least one person who would appreciate it!

Never be afraid to post something that even MIGHT be useful though. :)

Cam

Hagrid
12th May 2006, 06:14 PM
When the students first go to do this job it will take them about three lessons from start to finish. It will give them an item that they can use through the rest of there time at school and it allows for individual creativity.

It allows for when a student finishes a new project in front of the others of the class rather than sitting on ass and being a pain they can make another pen. Each pen that they make they will be able to explore different shapes and materials and at the same time increasing skill. With a bit of practice a student should be able make a pen from start to finish in one lesson making it as I said before a perfect filler. Boredom in the workshop is a recipe for trouble and this is a project to tackle that. Another problem I have seen in the classroom when on prac is students stumped with what to do. All projects seem to them to take to much time or are to overwhelming this project again tackles this it lets them see that there is a start and a finish.

When they are proficient at this they can start making special resins to make into pens giving another dimension for your creative students.

Making the pen

In the first photo you can see I have found a piece of Wood and this is going to be the material I use.

Another thing I forgot to mention is this is cheap. You can get the wood from anywhere you could even make that part of the project the students having to find a bit of wood from out side to make it with. This would really give the students ownership of there project. The piece of wood I have is walnut.

Hagrid
12th May 2006, 06:17 PM
We have the wood.

Next we need to make it into a more manageable size. There is a lot that can be said for how you cut up a piece of wood as the growth rings may make the wood twist after it is cut and finished but keeping this simple cut it up as you can and if you have problems in 6 months time make another one.

Depending on what type of pen you are going to make depends on how big you cut the bits of wood. 20mm X 20mm X 100mm will do most pens though.

Cutting the round log to flattish bits of wood. For those of you who have not used a band saw when cutting round wood like this you must make sure that it cannot roll or it will break the blade when it twists. Safety first.

Now cut into squareish bits or should that be rectangleish.

chrisb691
12th May 2006, 06:21 PM
More..More...More. There's a greeny in it at the end.

Hagrid
12th May 2006, 06:23 PM
Looking Pretty ay. Although on this pen it is not going to make any difference it is good practice to keep grain (pattern in wood) going together because in other pens it can add a great effect if it all flows.

Now we have to drill a hole in the middle of the little blocks of wood. For this pen they need to be 6.8mm in diameter.

That was easy wasinit.

Here you can see all the bits I need to finish the pen so lets go through what they are from left to right.

Block of wood 20mm X 20mm X 55mm

Brass insert for block of wood 6.9mm diameter 52mm long.

Block of wood 20mm X 20mm X 55mm

Brass insert for block of wood 6.9mm diameter 52mm long.

Biro writi bit.

Biro writi bit holder that also makes it move up and down when rotated.

Pen pocket clip

Top, bottom and middle cap of pen.

All this stuff not including the wood (wood was free) cost $3.00 if I was buying for my class it would be even cheaper I think you could look at somewhere around $2.00.

Hagrid
12th May 2006, 06:27 PM
Putting brass insert into hole in wood. Those of you who are paying attention would notice that hole drilled was 6.8mm and brass was 6.9mm so it is a tight fit.

If you make a mess of hole you can glue in brass however that means you have to wait for glue to dry. See how I am using the vise to squeeze in the tube that is because it gives a straight line of constant pressure.

Here I am using a little hand cutter to make sure that the ends of wood are square to the brass tube.

Placing the bits of wood onto a lath and make some wood chips. As you can see in the pici there is spacers between the bits of wood. These not only keep the pieces separated but also are the right diameter for the ends that you put in later takes out the guess work.

Hagrid
12th May 2006, 06:33 PM
We have turned down the wood. While it is on the lath we also need to sand it and polish it.

Now we do as for the brass inserts and use the vise to squeeze in the other pieces

Here is the finished product.

Hagrid
12th May 2006, 06:36 PM
Here are couple of samples of what can be done

chrisb691
12th May 2006, 06:54 PM
Putting brass insert into hole in wood. Those of you who are paying attention would notice that hole drilled was 6.8mm and brass was 6.9mm so it is a tight fit.

If you make a mess of hole you can glue in brass however that means you have to wait for glue to dry. See how I am using the vise to squeeze in the tube that is because it gives a straight line of constant pressure.

Here I am using a little hand cutter to make sure that the ends of wood are square to the brass tube.

Placing the bits of wood onto a lath and make some wood chips. As you can see in the pici there is spacers between the bits of wood. These not only keep the pieces separated but also are the right diameter for the ends that you put in later takes out the guess work.

Am I understanding this right, that both blocks of wood have a brass tube fitted indiviually?

What are the spacers made of?

Is the stack mounted onto some sort of mandrel for turning?

Hagrid
12th May 2006, 06:56 PM
As i said this is aimed at year 7 students. i am studing at UC and i used this in a unit i was doing, it has not been marked yet so any feed back would be greatly appreciated.
Cam the wood on the finished pen was walnut.
in the last pic on the cheese tray they are from right to left.
Huon Pine biro, Purple heart biro, Purple heart biro, Walnut fountain pen, Walnut biro

than you
Mark

Hagrid
12th May 2006, 07:04 PM
Am I understanding this right, that both blocks of wood have a brass tube fitted indiviually? Yes they do in this type of pen. most people drill a bigger hole and glue in brass tube however at school the students need to be working on them strait away so smaller hole seems to work fine.

What are the spacers made of? they are steel and are brought for the type of pen you are making. i know people who make there own hoever i can afford the 3 bucks.

Is the stack mounted onto some sort of mandrel for turning? Yes No2 morse taper mandrel again an item that i brought to suit the pen inards. it also is the common size mandrel that most of these types of things use.

Regards
Mark

chrisb691
12th May 2006, 07:08 PM
Am I understanding this right, that both blocks of wood have a brass tube fitted indiviually? Yes they do in this type of pen. most people drill a bigger hole and glue in brass tube however at school the students need to be working on them strait away so smaller hole seems to work fine.

What are the spacers made of? they are steel and are brought for the type of pen you are making. i know people who make there own hoever i can afford the 3 bucks.

Is the stack mounted onto some sort of mandrel for turning? Yes No2 morse taper mandrel again an item that i brought to suit the pen inards. it also is the common size mandrel that most of these types of things use.

Regards
Mark

Thanks Mark,

I certainly gained from your explanation, and I'll add pens to my growing list of things to try.:)

jmk89
12th May 2006, 07:26 PM
Thanks Mark,

I certainly gained from your explanation, and I'll add pens to my growing list of things to try.:)

Ditto (see my earlier reply to Cam's thread on clse end pens - the FIL is awy for a fortnight.....)
Greenie on the way Mark

Skew ChiDAMN!!
12th May 2006, 07:50 PM
G'day Mark, always good to see how others turn pens. :) I did a similar thread (WIP: Pen Turning #1 (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=29236)) that you might like to flip through.

There's a couple of things I'd suggest:

1. After bandsawing the blanks but before cutting them in half, use a white texta, pencil or something visible to make a large X in the middle of one side. It makes it easier to grain match later. I reckon this is a good habit to get into with every pen blank, whether you intend to match the grain later or not.

2. I can see why you've gone for the brass tube slightly larger than the hole method, but it's really not the best for durability. Especially if the kids are using "wood from outside" which may be a tad green, damp, etc., etc. A slighly larger hole is much better... I prefer epoxying overnight, but you might want to look into using CA (Cyanoacrylate aka superglue) for "instant" results. As an extra bonus, any flaws, splits, etc. can be simply patched (also with CA) instead of having to start all over.

CA also makes a durable finish. All in one, eh? What a bargain! ;)

chrisb691
12th May 2006, 11:19 PM
G'day Mark, always good to see how others turn pens. :) I did a similar thread (WIP: Pen Turning #1 (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=29236)) that you might like to flip through.

1. After bandsawing the blanks but before cutting them in half, use a white texta, pencil or something visible to make a large X in the middle of one side. It makes it easier to grain match later. I reckon this is a good habit to get into with every pen blank, whether you intend to match the grain later or not.

2. I can see why you've gone for the brass tube slightly larger than the hole method, but it's really not the best for durability. Especially if the kids are using "wood from outside" which may be a tad green, damp, etc., etc. A slighly larger hole is much better... I prefer epoxying overnight, but you might want to look into using CA (Cyanoacrylate aka superglue) for "instant" results. As an extra bonus, any flaws, splits, etc. can be simply patched (also with CA) instead of having to start all over.

Thanks for the link Skew, another excellent post on pen making. I can hear the B things whispering to me chris chris. I can't afford to set up for it a this time, but now it's definitely on my 'in the future' list. Greenie if I can.:D

Wild Dingo
13th May 2006, 03:16 AM
But neither post tells me how to do those other pens!! :confused: and what of the other stuff Skewy one? :rolleyes: the mandrel can do so many other things says the Skewy one to the novice (that would be moi ;) ) so said novice rushes out like some sorta mad thing and buys said many things and waits patiently for the Skewy one to explain himself leaving hints all over the forum like so much doggie doodoos... to recieve only silence so now all those bits and bobs sit quietly in the drawer under the lathe :(

note.. bits and bobs refer to knife and fork ends salt and pepper shakers and such like as ordered by said skewy one :p

oooh by the by both threads are pretty damned excellent thank you kindly :cool: Was very interested to see the Skewy one using epoxy to glue the inserts into the blanks... the book I bought by some pommy bloke recommends superduper glue which Im using with some success (and one failure which now has the top blank turning freely and therefore not turning the pen in and out eldest daughter suddenly not happy with daddas pressy :o nothin that cant be fixed by pulling apart and taking said unglued insert out and re superduper glueing... just a pain in the butt )

Hagrid
13th May 2006, 06:42 AM

1. After bandsawing the blanks but before cutting them in half, use a white texta, pencil or something visible to make a large X

I just looked at your post and i must say it was excelent.

yes i should mark the blanks and it was just being lazy that i did not. will amend my ways.

Thank you for the ca sugestion i would realy have to think long and hard on if i would let year 7 loose with superglue. As it is still a year away from me being qualified i do not have to worry just yet.
again your posting is great.

Regards
Mark

ss_11000
13th May 2006, 12:30 PM
great thread.....

Pharaoh_25
13th May 2006, 08:00 PM
Hi,
Do you glue your brass tubes in?
Is a 7mm drill bit suitable for the job?

CameronPotter
13th May 2006, 08:02 PM
Depends on the pen to determine the drill bit...

And yes, you glue the tubes in - often with superglue.

Cam

Hagrid
13th May 2006, 10:48 PM
i use a 6.8mm drill bit and no glue it means for quicker use however glue is a far better method.
regards
Mark
ps . 7mm is good on the pen infil i used

finewoods
13th May 2006, 11:19 PM
Looks good :)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
14th May 2006, 07:56 PM
But neither post tells me how to do those other pens!! :confused: and what of the other stuff Skewy one? :rolleyes: the mandrel can do so many other things says the Skewy one to the novice (that would be moi ;) ) so said novice rushes out like some sorta mad thing and buys said many things and waits patiently for the Skewy one to explain himself leaving hints all over the forum like so much doggie doodoos... to recieve only silence so now all those bits and bobs sit quietly in the drawer under the lathe :(

note.. bits and bobs refer to knife and fork ends salt and pepper shakers and such like as ordered by said skewy one :p

:D:D I ain't logged in fer a good session a couple of days... visiting rellies underfoot. :( I got a lot of catching up to do. :rolleyes:

The other pens & knife'n'fork bits are done basically the same way as the pens you've already done. A lot of 'em need different bushes (and in some cases, a different sized mandrel) but I stick with the std 7mm mandrel and make ny own bushes from corian. Sure, they wear out quicker than steel ones but I can make as many as I want. :)

Somehow, I don't believe I said S&P mills can be done on a mandrel... they can but it's sooo much easier to just do 'em the normal way in a damned good chuck. :D

Anyways, is there anything in particular that ya want to know?

oooh by the by both threads are pretty damned excellent thank you kindly :cool: Was very interested to see the Skewy one using epoxy to glue the inserts into the blanks... the book I bought by some pommy bloke recommends superduper glue which Im using with some success (and one failure which now has the top blank turning freely and therefore not turning the pen in and out eldest daughter suddenly not happy with daddas pressy :o nothin that cant be fixed by pulling apart and taking said unglued insert out and re superduper glueing... just a pain in the butt )

Yeah, that's why I don't like superglue. I like to sit down and prepare the blanks in big batches, drill 'em out and epoxy all the tubes in then let 'em sit overnight to dry properly. If using 5-min epoxy, ya still gotta be quick... but not as stupidly quick as with CA.

This way also means that when I sit down to do some turning, I can actually get a couple of hours turning in, instead of a minute or two and job's done, fun's over... ;)

ss_11000
14th May 2006, 10:10 PM
i'm with skew....its best to have several done up at a time....although drilling is bloody annoying.

dazzler
21st May 2006, 05:44 PM
Hi Hagrid

thanks for going to the trouble of showing how this was done.

From a teaching perspective did you do a lesson plan and if so does it go into more detail?

cheers

dazzler

Hagrid
9th June 2006, 05:48 AM
Dazzer

sorry for the late reply trying to sort out the sale of part of my business and get final projects in for uni.

As for the lesson plan no sorry i did not do one it was a uni project and the whole point of it was to show a minium of what is expected as a lesson prep for a relief teacher . i am only in third year of four year so i have not had much oppertunity to trial some of my ideas.
If you are interested this is a link to some of the projects i have been doing for uni. Mark Gannon (http://learn.elgg.org/markg/files/)

thanks for looking at my stuff and any suggestions most welcome as it is an ongoing project for next semester.

Regards
Mark

dazzler
9th June 2006, 09:53 AM
You need to put in contingencies if you are going to teach at a public high school;

Bill - stop smoking at the lathe

Joe - Get off monica

Fred - the glue pot is not a bong, leave it alone

Abdul - No, we are not turning sealed cylindrical containers, were making pens.

Mathew - Okay, you can have my wallet, just put down the knife.

DJ’s Timber
9th June 2006, 01:14 PM
Hi guys

Would suggest sanding brass tubes with 120 grit paper for glue to bond to

Cheers
DJ