PDA

View Full Version : long thin nozzles?

ReP0
13th May 2006, 01:11 AM
Not sure if this is the right section but here it goes...

I've bought some silicon spray and it comes with a little thin pipe that you attach to the aerosol nozzle so you can get a more directed spray or get the spray into tight spaces. I need to use this spray to lubricate under a mat that stretches around 70-80 cms across (mat cannot be removed or lifted by much). The "pipe" that comes with the can is around 20cm at best. Does anyone have any ideas where I could buy these "pipes" from in a meter lengths? I asked at bunnings but they had no idea.

TIA

BobL
18th May 2006, 12:53 AM
You can buy that thin plastic pipe (its called spagetti tubing) in 100m long rolls but that will be no good to you because it will not remain rigid.
You'll need to adapat something else that will remain rigid over that distance, like an old car aerial or a
I'd buy one of those long thin black poly irrigation risers (the ones you screw spray nozzles onto) and gaffer the thin tube inside the bigger one.
OR
using a thin flat strip of hard plastic or even wood, spray the silicone onto that and then slide the plastic strip back and forth under the mat. You could wrap a thin layer of cloth or cotton wool around it to get better Si holding capacity.
OR
Try jamming 3/4 plastic straws inside each other?

Ashore
18th May 2006, 01:44 AM
You could try joining 3 or 4 pipes together using shrink fit
Get small shrink fit and put the pipes end to end inside, leaving a couple of cm's free at each endand shrink to hold the pipes together should work:rolleyes:

Rgds

ReP0
18th May 2006, 03:21 PM
You could try joining 3 or 4 pipes together using shrink fit
Get small shrink fit and put the pipes end to end inside, leaving a couple of cm's free at each endand shrink to hold the pipes together should work:rolleyes:

Rgds

Thats a brilliant idea. I tried gluing them initially but the contact surface is so small on the pipes that it didn't stay glued and the slightest movement would snap the tubes. Then there was the risk of gluing over the hole since it was so small. I guess I could heatshrink then put a layer of epoxy over the shrink to make it totally sealed (as per original plan).

Thanks to everyone who replied for the suggestions!