PDA

View Full Version : Tempted by my arty pharty side

Wild Dingo
13th May 2006, 02:57 AM
Yes Im tempted... see when I head to the mine which should have been yesty but wont be till next week as I missed the chartered flight but thats another story... but when I head off Im thinking I need something to keep the creative juices flowing... now I could take a stack of veneers in the bottom of my bag a nice set of scalpals and some glue a couple of smallish peices of ply and I could just make some nice arty pharty veneer pictures (marquetry?) in my off time... however Im tempted to buy some carving chisels and push my limits... I can get wood wherever I go a piece here a dropped peice there a root laying there a branch on the ground over here wood is quite abundant and Im ignorant enough to just pick up and use ANY wood I see :p

So given the plethoria of kits and chisels out there... would someone mind directing me as to which kit or single chisels I should buy? and which vice would be best given that in the rooms we get a small malamite desk at which I will be working

This is another of those never before held or done things for me so rather than waste a bucket load of money on a bloody great kit was trying to work out what to do that would give me a good start without my usual overkill... yes Im getting more and more daring do in me old phartage ;)

echnidna
13th May 2006, 10:44 AM
Pfeil are supposed to be top class.

VEEBULL
15th May 2006, 02:43 PM
For small character carvings , the Pfeil 'B' set of palm tools are the pick , these , plus an extra knife would get you started.Flexcut are also worth condsidering . STAY AWAY FROM 30 DOLLAR CHISELS FROM LARGE HARDWARE CHAIN STORES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or from any other supplier of handtools , they are nasty , rubbish steel that will not hone .

You WILL NEED TO SPEND a reasonable amount of money , the benefit is properly looked after , good quality knives and chisels will be used by your grandsons/daughters .I have several chisels which were made at the turn of last century and to be honest are better than most of what is available today .

Vices are another matter , and it will depend on what it is you intend to carve .I have a vice which will support a 30 kilo block but is a bit too sturdy for fine work .Some small work can is quite easily done , hand held . Size does matter !!

regards
Veebull

Wongo
15th May 2006, 03:04 PM
Arty pharty? Oh honey thats so not you.:D

Yeah Pfeil is vely good if not the best. Buy yourself a good set and go for it.:cool:

Wild Dingo
15th May 2006, 05:35 PM
Thanks Veebull... no worries the Pfeil ones where what I was thinking of cheers and no I buy VERY little from the hardware chains nowadays least ways nothing of a nature that can cause me harm bloodletting or otherwise really painfull stuff Id rather pay the extra first time and get a good set
Cheers

Wongo me ol chingalese speakin brother from another mother your chingalese side is slippin ol son! :D tis velly good yes sir velly velly good :p and I am so becomin arty pharty!!! I AM SO TOO!!! :( now I all velly sad indeed velly sad nah shes apples me ol china! (HEY!! that works for you eh!! :cool: )

Wild Dingo
4th June 2006, 02:38 PM
heh :o seems me gots bad optical issues AND a buggar of a membory!! forgot this part of the forum :o

Anyways I went ahead and bought the carving jack pocket knife thing from Caratec before I buggared of a couple of weeks ago... havent really had much of a chance to use it... the wood in the desert is rather like granite Ive found

But will do some over the next couple of weeks... so will do a bit of a review and show an tell of me butcherin talents when I get back... 2 weeks from Monday
:cool: