PDA

View Full Version : How to get a pink pen blank?

Lin
13th May 2006, 11:09 PM
Have a possible customer that is after a pink pen....We have no interest in turning "pink ivory" again....hard and $$$.
Is there a way to dye maple to get pink? Can it be done after the blanks are turned? What kind of dye(s) to use? and how to do it.
Red dyed box elder is the only pen blanks I have found online that are wood that looks like they come close to "pink" in color. If I can't find a way to dye maple...that may be my way to go...but hate to order just a couple blanks and pay the S/H for just a few....and then find them to be more red than the pics look....
Any and all help will be appreciated.
Lin

Ian007
13th May 2006, 11:34 PM
buy a dymondwood pen blank in pink.:D

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=21347&d=1143792490

these pens are turned by cameron potter and are in the fundraiser for disabled kids.

CameronPotter
14th May 2006, 08:45 PM
The pink Dymondwood is called "Fuschia". You can also use resin (although this is probably what you were talking about when you said imitation ivory...)

Cam

lubbing5cherubs
14th May 2006, 09:46 PM
Have a possible customer that is after a pink pen....We have no interest in turning "pink ivory" again....hard and $$$.
Is there a way to dye maple to get pink? Can it be done after the blanks are turned? What kind of dye(s) to use? and how to do it.
Red dyed box elder is the only pen blanks I have found online that are wood that looks like they come close to "pink" in color. If I can't find a way to dye maple...that may be my way to go...but hate to order just a couple blanks and pay the S/H for just a few....and then find them to be more red than the pics look....
Lin

Carrols woodcraft sell pink opalac blanks they are nice to do. I made a pen with it and it beautiful i love the pink:)
Toni

ss_11000
14th May 2006, 10:24 PM
i to have turned the blank toni mentioned and it is a very nice colour pink( according to my sister)

soundman
14th May 2006, 10:46 PM
A couple of the australian natives can be quite pink if you ar lucky.
I have seen spotted gum that was pinkish, rose sheoak... maybe.
how pink... pinkish or.....PINK.
one option would be to use a blond timber & dye or stain prior to finishing.

cheers

Lin
14th May 2006, 11:32 PM
Can you give me some leads to where I could purchase the "Fushsia" dymond wood....What I'm finding is called "Color grain" and not find pink...Remember I'm in the USA....I checked several of the online sites that sell pen supplies but only seeing the box elder as a possibility. I do want to use wood if possible not resins or acrylics for this pen. I do realize the dymond wood is a man made wood. We don't have the finishes for the resins or acrylics on hand and don't really want to purchase them for just this one pen....So I'm getting the impression that dying pen blanks after they are turned won't work?
Lin

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th May 2006, 07:18 AM
And continuing on from what Soundman said, I've had some Tas. Myrtle go through here that's pinker than most. It'd need a shellawax or similar finish, oils darken it too much to almost a red.

As he also asked, how pink is pink?

lubbing5cherubs
15th May 2006, 09:11 AM
Can you give me some leads to where I could purchase the "Fushsia" dymond wood....What I'm finding is called "Color grain" and not find pink...Remember I'm in the USA....I checked several of the online sites that sell pen supplies but only seeing the box elder as a possibility. I do want to use wood if possible not resins or acrylics for this pen. I do realize the dymond wood is a man made wood. We don't have the finishes for the resins or acrylics on hand and don't really want to purchase them for just this one pen....So I'm getting the impression that dying pen blanks after they are turned won't work?
Lin

Lin,
Here is a website in US that sells diamond wood
http://www.woodnwhimsies.com/

also as for needing to buy anything to finish it. all I did with mine is micromeshed it and then using car polish. Finished!!
but anyway hope that helps
Toni

Exador
15th May 2006, 09:42 AM
Lin

Bloodwood (C. Intermedia) is usually quite a pale red/dark pink. Flooded gum (E. Grandis) is another possible choice. It's also known as rose gum because of the pinkish heartwood.

Naf
15th May 2006, 09:53 AM
Also try: www.rrpwhite.com for Dymondwood Also in the US. I have bought items from both these sites and never had any hassles. Also rrpwhite sell dyed spalted pen blanks, and dyed corn cob blanks, if anyone gets the chance turn some corn cob, very messy but interesting.

Nathan

Lin
15th May 2006, 09:56 AM
You folks are great....The web sites has just what I was looking for if I couldn't dye the wood....Still want to try to dye a pen someday...but for now the dymondwood site is right on time...Thanks.
Lots of nice colors in pen blanks to chose from. I'm thinking the Anglecut "passionfruit" will work just fine.
A corn cob....might just have to try that one...
Lin

CameronPotter
15th May 2006, 10:07 AM
Corn cob pens are cool, but I tried to do it with a slimline (and ended up cutting down into the pith which was just ugly). It would work much better for fatter pens.

As for dying, there should be no reason you can't dye after it is turned. Your turn it, sand it, dye it, use the lightest grade sandpaper again and then finish it.

If you look at our sponsor's (UBeaut's) website, they have water dyes there that appear to work very nicely (and a how to).

Cam

Naf
15th May 2006, 10:23 AM
The first corn cob I did the same thing (slimline), The second one I used a comfort grip, worked much better. Too expensive to have them look ugly.

Nathan

CameronPotter
15th May 2006, 10:44 AM
Oh, mine wasn't expensive, it was just left over from a meal...

:D

Naf
15th May 2006, 02:39 PM
I got mine from the US, only coz i read somewhere that it has to be a specific type of corn cob. If possible could you post a pic of one of your corn cob pens?

Thanks
Nathan

CameronPotter
15th May 2006, 02:59 PM
Sorry, they were ugly and I trashed them. It was more out of disappointment than anything. They were looking really good one moment, then once into the husky centre they looked shocking. I turned away all the rest (leaving a bare tube) and re-used them.

Look here for a how to on corn cob pens. Mine looked just like that (until I turned down too far). :rolleyes:

http://www.penturners.org/content/CornCobPen.pdf

I have meant to try again, but I have also been a little bitter about the whole experience...:( ;)

I will try again soon.

Oh, also, I have read that you can buy dried corn cobs to feed birds. Try looking for those as they are definitely dry and apparently turn perfectly well.

Cam

ps CA (superglue) is NASTY stuff, so wear a gas mask if you want to try this... I got sick from doing it without protection, as I didn't realise what fumes CA gave off while drying.

Naf
15th May 2006, 03:17 PM
Thanks again Cam,
I think I'll give that a go, I've got 3 weeks off work so I've got plenty of time to play/experiment, with pen turning I mean. Also off the track a little bit, in regards to my PM about Casting Resin pigments, I called a place in Geelong, Vic, and they have heaps of powder pigments, but when I mentioned pearl drops as stated in the "casting polyester resin" article you pointed me towards, they didnt realy know what I was on about. Are the drops necessary or are the pearlescent powders the same thing?

Nathan

CameronPotter
15th May 2006, 03:49 PM
Actually, the stuff I use is a powder. It is called "Pearlex". Ask for it by name.

My advice would be to stay away from opaque colouring (at least initially). They are a bit dull as they are one-dimensional. You can use transparent dyes (which are liquid) but you get much nicer results using different coloured pearlex powders.

My advice, get two or three pearlex powders and have a play.

Cam

bdar
15th May 2006, 11:07 PM
Lin one of the easiest ways of getting a consistent pink is by using a pink hi lighter pen. A lady I work with has a daughter that is pink crazy, used a bit of light birdseye maple and did about 4 coats with the hi lighter to get the depth of colour needed and CA finished over the top.
Darren

Gympietech
23rd May 2006, 11:33 AM
Lin one of the easiest ways of getting a consistent pink is by using a pink hi lighter pen. A lady I work with has a daughter that is pink crazy, used a bit of light birdseye maple and did about 4 coats with the hi lighter to get the depth of colour needed and CA finished over the top.
Darren
Ahh - OK, haven't heard this one before.....
"CA finished over the top" - sounds interesting. I know of CA to glue in the tube, but to finish? - Could someone point me to a link (I'm sure it's been discussed somewhere here), I would appreciate it. I take it it looks good when done.:D
Trevor

CameronPotter
23rd May 2006, 11:43 AM
Answered your post via PM, but for others: check out www.penturners.org (http://www.penturners.org) - they have several articles on this, but I still prefer shellawax for wood as it is less plasticky. Again, just my opinion.

Cam

Gympietech
23rd May 2006, 12:00 PM
Thanks Cameron, I downloaded the PDF and will have a go - just to try it!
Trevor.

CameronPotter
23rd May 2006, 12:30 PM
Certainly worth trying. I mean, it can look brilliant, but I don't like the feel so much (and CA is nasty stuff for my weak chest).

Cam

rodent
17th June 2006, 06:42 AM
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com
(http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com)

rowie
25th June 2006, 10:08 PM
i remember somewhere(jeez im getting old)someone in the states was trialing actually impregnating plantation growing maples with different coloured dyes

A-Marks
26th June 2006, 02:32 PM
I have had great results using commercial clothing dyes on light to white timbers such hoop, silky oak, beech, blackbeen sapwood even!

Break the powdered dye down to a fairly strong mix then mix small amounts of this with more water until its giving you good results

It will always dry lighter

Remember to apply it after you have sanded to your finest grade
then finish it off with the same again as after the dye dries the wood will have burred up a little

have fun

anton2026048
14th March 2008, 12:39 PM
Hi,
I have just made a Siera pink pen from one of the Glomourz pen blanks. Too flashy for my liking but every girl one in the office now wants one.

Got it from:http://www.addictivepenkits.com.au/index.php?module=Website&action=Product&content=1187014036484-5647&category=191

Anton

PenTurner
15th March 2008, 10:26 AM
Pink and Yellow Huon Pine (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=51908), Have a look at that thread and pm me if you need more advice, Amos:)

NewLondon88
15th March 2008, 11:45 AM
I just filled a request for a 'pretty pink' pen recently, and I did it in cedar. It's pretty soft, easy to (over)turn and smells like grandma's attic.

Heart and sapwood together give some nice contrast, so it's white/tan and then pink/purple. And like Skew said, better to use a finish other than oil, as some woods darken up with BLO or tung. Personally, I LOVE cedar finished with tung, the heartwood goes a deep, dark purple and then over time it turns brown. Very striking. But to keep it pink I'd use another finish.. shellac.. lacquer.. it will still bring out the color and grain but not go too dark.

Not sure of the real name of the timber, but it's usually sold as 'aromatic cedar'. I think it's juniper or something like that.

Simomatra
15th March 2008, 12:26 PM
As you are resident over the pond why not try a piece of holly and stain it pink. Then turn and finish as you would normally.

The holy takes dies very well

ciscokid
16th March 2008, 08:40 AM
I just returned from a woodworker's exposition where I ran into Barry Gross. He was giving demonstrations and selling pen turning wares. Among his pen blanks were some nicely dyed stabilized box elder. I picked up a pair in pink. As you can see from the photo, they are quite pink. Send me a PM and I will send you one or both, if you wish. If you chose to buy direct from the source, his website is www.bgartforms.com (http://www.bgartforms.com). I also picked up some rather nicely figured snakewood and a couple of Majestic Junior kits.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a142/sweetvalleyfarm/blanks.jpg

PenTurner
16th March 2008, 10:44 AM
Al, you have salvating on the keyboard! Amos

ciscokid
16th March 2008, 01:14 PM
Don't worry Amos, you were in my thoughts. How could I attend such a show and not think about my friends down under?

Simomatra
16th March 2008, 01:44 PM
Nice pick up Cisco the Box Elder looks great:2tsup:

petersemple
17th March 2008, 11:55 AM
I did a pink pen once using a pearl white acrylic blank. The acrylic is quite translucent, so I painted the brass tubes pink before I glued them in. Nice pearl pink pen.

Peter

handyrn
18th March 2008, 04:54 PM
Brazilian Pink Tulip Wood has a ice pink color and is a hardwood that I have turned with good results. Two websites Penn State Industries and Craft Supplies. Both of these websites are companies in the US, but they do have lots of interesting wood and wood turning items. I know that postage might be a bit, but I have used many of the products from these sites and their products are very good. Might be worth a look.

handyrn
18th March 2008, 05:33 PM
I turn corn cobs and have found that it works best if after I have turned a bit I coat them again with thin CA and let it dry well before continuing to turn. I may do this 2-3 times depending on how brittle the corn cob is while turning. When I reach my finish point then I coat the entire pen with another coat of thin CA before I polish it. I polish it with fine plastic polish and it reaches a nice sheen and holds up well with use.