PDA

View Full Version : Sandpaper folding techniques

Auzzie turner
13th May 2006, 11:36 PM
I was just wondering, what your folding techniques are when you are folding sandpaper.:confused: When I first started turning, I looked on the internet,:eek: and found this (http://www.woodzone.com/tips/folding_sandpaper.htm) simple technique for folding sandpaper.:D I have seen many many people constantly asking,:confused: what is the best way to fold/use/lengthen usage time cocerning sandpaper. This page has the instructions with a photo gallery with it:D .
If anyone has a differnt folding technique that you use, put on here for others to see (and maybe use)
Regards.......Auzzieturner

P.S see my other post (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?p=303831#post303831)

hughie
14th May 2006, 01:13 AM
Auzzie,
I guess what ever your comfortable with. I use the Noritake sandpaper and its cloth backed, dont fold it much but use a piece of thin [10-15mm thick]foam rubber as a backing to keep the fingers cool and slow the revs down to about 2-300 rpm. This lets the paper clear itself and does not burn or rip the abrasive of to soon.
R.Raffan recommends folding it three times so as to not get the abrasive rubbing against abrasive.
hughie

dai sensei
14th May 2006, 08:52 AM
The only time I fold is when I have a grove and want to sand both sides etc. Mostly I just cut the sandpaper into appropriately sized pieces and use a timber or foam backer like Hughie.

Toolin Around
14th May 2006, 09:20 AM
This is my method, paper lasts a lot longer like this.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?p=130731#post130731

BobL
14th May 2006, 10:10 AM
Fold, don't any of you scrunch ;-)

Maybe its because I work on small stuff (and don't use a lathe often) I usually cut the sheet in half and fold the half sheet in half to give me a central line. Then I unfold the half sheet and fold do a sort of a rolling fold into quarters obviously keeping the abrasive surface on the outside.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
14th May 2006, 07:32 PM
I use Hermes cloth backed and don't fold... simply tear off a strip about 3/4" wide and hold the ends to work it, constantly moving it in a figure 8 pattern

If I have to use paper, I'll fold a 3/4" strip down one side, grit to the inside, and slice with the shop-knife. (An old 12" skinning blade) This keeps the knife sharp and the "burrs" on the edge of the paper away from the grit, so there's no unexpected "gouging" from the edge.

hingston
15th May 2006, 02:28 PM
I cut paper off roll and then fold in thirds - no abrasive surface touches another and it tends to hold the paper in place.

CameronPotter
15th May 2006, 02:37 PM
Yep. Three fold for me. Why? 'Cause Mr Raffan said so and it worked.

I would say that there is no magic to it, just do what works and what you are comfortable with.

Really, I think that sandpaper is probably one of the least complex tools to use - let's keep it that way. :p ;)

Cam

Hickory
16th May 2006, 06:44 AM
I seldom fold my paper, usually I wrap a single piece around a small piece of Green Scotchbrite pad. That provides a cushion to help conform to the project shape as well as provide insolation from friction heat. There again comes another contraversy, I have heard turners say they NEVER apply enough pressure or hold in one place long enough for friction to heat beyond holding power and to use single or double thickness paper only.

Remember that an old addage is to Turn Fast and Sand S-l-o-w.... So the friction should never be a problem.

Each turner has his/her technique, (most are a bit wrong, whilst mine are usually correct :D )

I usually tear a piece off of the sheet (along the sharp edge of a steel rule) 2" X 4" and fold it around the Scotchbrite pad. I move it about as I wear it out or gum it up. If the paper wears through or slips off the pad the pad will serve as similar purpose. If I have a groove to clean or a fine V cut to clean then I fold the piece and slide the fold between the sides.

TimberNut
16th May 2006, 09:44 AM
I always use j-flex cloth backed sandpaper (SIA brand). Most of the woodturning suppliers always have stock of cloth backed. In my experience it will outlast the paperbacked stuff by a long way when used for turning, as you are always trying to fold to get into nooks and crevices. Paper backed will split along fold lines, and isn't as forgiving following smooth curves.

If you use a fair bit of it, Do yourself a favour and go to a dedicated abrasives supplier. Buy cloth backed in 300mm wide lengths then take home and tear into 100mm wide strips or whatever suits your purpose.

if you get about say 5m of each grit, it may cost you a bit of dough that day, but you will save a fortune on the cost overall. like everything - buy in bulk, save cash!

That said, if tearing off 100mm wide stips, I tear off a length of about 20mm and fold in half. I don't use a scotchbrite pad or any other support - only my fingers. As is often mentioned on the forum - when the paper is too hot to hold, you know you've pressed too hard!

TTIT
16th May 2006, 01:29 PM
Really, I think that sandpaper is probably one of the least complex tools to use - let's keep it that way. :p ;)

Cam

I'll stick with Cam on that point! :D What I'd really like to know more about is the new paper available in the UK that 'breathes'.:) Apparently the backing is porous so it doesn't clog and runs cooler. Anyone know if it's available here yet??:confused: