PDA

View Full Version : Weights of routers.

CT
14th May 2006, 07:28 AM
My router is a heavy beast and I'd like to know if the more weight the better counts when routing? I know laminate routers are much smaller and lighter but given the general nature of their role they probably don't need a lot of mass to cut efficiently.

Are all routers meant to be heavy? I think it's obvious they need to be taking into account the material they often have to work on but I'd like to know if you should have different routers to suit the job you are working on?

Harry72
14th May 2006, 08:24 AM
A lighter router is better and easier to use... but you dont want it that light its a POS thats not solid.
I have a router off white in colour that weighs nearly 10kg, its too heavy for hand work but be okay in a table if it wasnt a POS!
In comparision my table mounted router Mak 3612C weighs about 6kg, it has 1hp more is way more solid and has no play in its plunge shafts... unlike the white one which Id advise against buying.

doug the slug
14th May 2006, 09:21 PM
I'd like to know if you should have different routers to suit the job you are working on?

thats why there are so many models of router. i own 3, others here own a lot more.

soundman
15th May 2006, 12:00 AM
If you are doing heavy cuts into a flat surface or are cutting thru materials that vary in density a heavy router is great as the weight helps stop the router from jumping arround.
I have a big porter cable which is probably one of the heaviest arround, in the right application I am gratefull of the weight.

If I am routing handles and catches in a case trimmed with aluminium extrusion ( 1/2" bit, plunge thru the ply and pull straight thru the joints aluminium & all ) the porter cable is good and heavy.

But if I am just doing some edge rounding on a speaker box the little festo is my choice as it is light enough to use single handed as I flip the box arround.

weight is good when you want it.

cheers