PDA

View Full Version : Super Easy Supergluing

CameronPotter
14th May 2006, 08:31 PM
Hi all,

I saw some people saying in another thread that the superglue sometimes binds before the have put the tube all the way in. Well, I used to have this trouble, but liked the fast option of gluing with superglue.

Thus, what I do now:

1. Drill hole

2. Rough up outside of tubes with 100 grit.

3. Pour some medium (called gap filling on my bottle) in the tube, with the tube tilted slightly down. Turn the tube as you put the glue in.

4. Get a piece of dowel that is a much smaller size than the hole. Spread the glue all the way around the inside of the blank. Look down the blank and make sure it all has that sheen of wet glue.

5. Put a little glue on one end of the tube (all the way around).

6. Put tube in hole while twisting.

7. (THE TRICK) Holding the blank, tap the protruding tube on a bit of scrap wood. The tube will pop up into the blanks in a flash.

I haven't had a tube stick (or fail to glue) using this method.

Cam

ss_11000
14th May 2006, 10:18 PM
i'll second the tap with the scrap wood technique....it works really well.

Naf
14th May 2006, 10:20 PM
I killed a few Dymondwood blanks this way, but it was stupid me being impatient and trying to superglue the tubes in while the blank was still fairly warm. It would get halp way in then the it wouldnt move anymore, even with the hammer. Learnt this lesson pretty quick.

Nathan

ss_11000
14th May 2006, 10:59 PM
when it gets stuck....cut the rest off on the bs ( make sure there is no wood dust/chips around - fire hazard- sparks from cutting brass? ) or something then glue it in the other end.....dont use a hammer

if this method is wrong, please correct me

Naf
14th May 2006, 11:45 PM
I cant believe I never thought of something so simple. The hammer thing was more of a frustration thing, let's put it down as "learning"

CameronPotter
15th May 2006, 10:22 AM
Yeah, by the time you get to the hammer it is way past saving.

As for the tube, it only really needs to be there to hold the press fit parts onto the pen/pencil.

I did a close ended pen that was only partially tubed in the body.

Cam

Naf
15th May 2006, 10:37 AM
Yeah but it felt good hitting it, pen therapy.

CameronPotter
15th May 2006, 10:43 AM
I admit that I have tried a "gentle tap" once or twice when the frustration got to me... ;)

Stuart
15th May 2006, 11:20 AM
Superglue dissolves with chloroform, (from personal experience), so one of the other similar, more readily available chemicals should also work. Pretty sure this is useless info, but thought I'd throw it in there. Great for getting fingers unstuck!

soundman
16th May 2006, 05:09 PM
I havn't had any problem with the tubes sticking half way using medium viscosity CA.
I coat the inside by a similar method as described then run a line od CA on a piece of card & roll the tube in the glue using an old drill bit up the spout then slip the tube in usin said drill bit.

I get a bit of glu build up on my thumb nail though.

AHH
Are you doung one blank and one tube at a time?
Are you using medium CA?

cheers

CameronPotter
16th May 2006, 05:29 PM
As I said Soundy, I don't have a trouble anymore, but some people were saying they did, so I said what worked for me.

Out of interest though, it appears that I wasn't clear on your two points in my above explanations. I do use medium CA and I do only do one blank at a time. Since using the method above, I have never had a tube stick. :D

Cam

bdar
16th May 2006, 10:16 PM
Cam good info on gluing, I only have one variation on gluing up. once I have drilled the hole i coat the inside of the blank with thin CA and let it penetrate in case of any hidden or heat cracks then use accellerator clean the blank with the drill once dry and glue up with medium CA never had a glue up fail or a tube stick.

CameronPotter
17th May 2006, 10:31 AM
Good idea about sealing the inside with thin CA. :)

bdar
17th May 2006, 09:00 PM
Hey Cam no matter how slow you drill it will generate heat and the smallest of internal cracking can cause a blank to fail. Also it acts the same way as roughing up the tubes, it allows the CA a surface to adhear to.