PDA

View Full Version : My First Month turning Pens-- first turning ever

lubbing5cherubs
14th May 2006, 08:32 PM
Hi this is my first month on the lathe. I have been enjoying making pens. I am enjoying the stress relief of it all. I love your thoughts on them or way to improve them. Also do you have a tip when the best way it is to know that you have gone low enough to stop the wood from over hanging at the inserts like the centreband and the wood is larger. Or I can go lower and the jut it out ruining the blank. Any suggestion on this is or is just improvement with practise of knowing...:rolleyes: :D .
Thanks Toni

CameronPotter
14th May 2006, 09:02 PM
Nice work Toni! Shame that the photos can't be enlarged, it is a bit hard to see details.

As for how to turn down to the right size, that is just a matter of turning it until you get down to the size of the bushings on either side. Don't worry about lightly touching them, it won't really hurt them or you tools (but go slow when you get close).

My only real advice though is to experiment and have fun! :D

Cam

ss_11000
14th May 2006, 09:10 PM
great work

i'll second what cam said bout turning to the bushings...

questions.
1. woods
2. finishes
3. how was the name put on to the pen
4. did you like the acrylic

lubbing5cherubs
14th May 2006, 09:21 PM
great work

i'll second what cam said bout turning to the bushings...

questions.
1. woods
The first pens is red cedar, spalted maple, pink acrylic, then last one is my favourite is beefwood oh the last group one is from L to R:- Yellow heart, two tone I got from ebay I forgot, zebrawood, the others I am not sure I got excited I forgot. the last one is purple heart. The first and last were made by my 10 year old daughters. I think they did well too
2. finishes-CA
3. how was the name put on to the pen. I took it to our local signwriter that lives here in Winton and he put them on for me. They were done with like stickers so it took 3 layers of sander sealer to make it smooth.
4. did you like the acrylic Yes I did

Oh Also Cameron-- yeah sorry you can't get them any larger photos they were either taken on my mobile or a freind took them for me. I have not yet had a chance to replace a proper camera since a house fire in August last year. I will get ther but just not yet. I apologise for the shocking piccy but they are the best I can do for now.:) :)
bye Toni

ss_11000
14th May 2006, 10:33 PM
thanx for the further info

CameronPotter
15th May 2006, 10:38 AM
No probs Toni.

I had thought that it might have been the way you saved them instead of the camera. Sorry to hear about your house! :(

Anyway, nice pens and keep them coming.

Cam