PDA

View Full Version : Andy's Pencils

CameronPotter
14th May 2006, 08:55 PM
Well,

I have had a VERY busy day. I have rough turned about 5 bowls and also found time to make a few pencils...

:D

Anyway, here are two pencils, one is sassy, one if eucalyptus burl.

I have a favourite - do you?

Anyway Andy, the choice is your mate.

Cam

ps I thought that the old hessian showed up the two blanks quite nicely... :)

ss_11000
14th May 2006, 09:05 PM
the bottom one is better IMO.

but both look good .....well done cam

lubbing5cherubs
14th May 2006, 09:43 PM
Well,

I have had a VERY busy day. I have rough turned about 5 bowls and also found time to make a few pencils...

Anyway, here are two pencils, one is sassy, one if eucalyptus burl.

I have a favourite - do you?

Anyway Andy, the choice is your mate.

Cam

ps I thought that the old hessian showed up the two blanks quite nicely... :)

I like the bottom one but they both look fabulous
Toni

Andy Mac
14th May 2006, 09:45 PM
Hi Cam,
They both look great, but I reckon the bottom one wins out.That Polaris kit looks wonderful with the darker timbers!:)
Thanks for taking on the job, I'll PM again.

Cheers,

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th May 2006, 07:15 AM
My thumbs up definitely has to go to the burl...

Looks like Andy's happy. :)

Wood Butcher
15th May 2006, 08:07 AM
Beautiful work Cameron!
I'd have to go with the bottom pen too! I like the extra contrast in the grain.
Also where did you get the kits from. I'd like to get a few for myself?? Thanks

jmk89
15th May 2006, 09:42 AM
If I have spread the lerv around enough, Cam, a greenie on its way to you.
I agree with the consensus - the bottom pencil looks better.

(Thinks - another 10 days til the FIL gets back and I can institute the subtle plan to get access to his lathe.....)

CameronPotter
15th May 2006, 10:12 AM
Damn! You all chose my favourite one too... ;) :D

Actually, I am really proud of the eucalyptus burl pen. The sassy is nice - really quite nice, but when seen beside the eucalyptus there isn't much of a comparison. In real life this is even more obvious. I used shellaway glow on both timbers and the gum just - well - glows. It is easily the best finish on any wooden pen I have achieved. I used a lot more than I expected (or had in the past) and the wood just sucked it up.

The gaps in the burl are filled with coffee and CA.

Right now I am on the hunt for some more of this wood.

Cam

CameronPotter
15th May 2006, 10:16 AM
Woodbutcher,

The pen kits were bought from Jim Carroll (who saw Andy's request and made a special order), but then I bought a couple of extra kits from him as well. It looks like he might have bought a bit of extra stock. So I reckon that he might be able to help you out if you gave him a call.

I really like the brushed finish (oh, and they are stainless steel - so the finish should last forever).

One note, the pencils operate on a twist mechanism that twists at the back and they use 0.7mm leads. Neither of these things is bad (actually, both are quite nice) but they are unusual and so worth mentioning.

Cam

Andy Mac
25th May 2006, 09:26 AM
Hi there,
Just want to say that my pencil, as ordered and custom made by Cam, turned up today! Its a wonderful looking item, beautifully finished, and feels good in the hand...quite hefty. I'm a happy man, and feel I did well by trading a couple of kilo's of Qld timber offcuts:D .

Thank you Cam!

CameronPotter
25th May 2006, 09:33 AM
An just to be clear, those "offcuts" weren't anything to be lightly brushed aside! I would be very happy to say that Andy's package was probably just as exciting! :D