PDA

View Full Version : The tray

powderpost
14th May 2006, 11:39 PM
A new tray was required in the household. This one is laminated from timber and not veneered. Have now been instructed to make a "normal" tray as this one is too good to use.... :rolleyes: :confused: :mad:
Jim

TTIT
15th May 2006, 12:02 AM
Have now been instructed to make a "normal" tray as this one is too good to use.... :rolleyes: :confused: :mad:
Jim
I'd have to agree with her on that one - spectacular pattern mate.:D Gonna give that technique a shot one day :D("one day" is gonna be a very long day if it ever happens!!!!)

BobL
15th May 2006, 09:52 AM
Simply Stunning!
Cheers

jmk89
15th May 2006, 09:57 AM
Beeeyooodifullll!

Jill
15th May 2006, 10:07 AM
Hi Jim - I wouldn't use it, either - it is worthy of being on display on the wall, or in your gallery! Amazingly beautiful work - not just in skill, but the timbers are seriously spectacular, as well!

Cheers,

Jill

Wood Butcher
15th May 2006, 10:16 AM
That is phenomal work Powder. Not only because of the finished product but for the thought put into the design and making!!

zenwood
15th May 2006, 01:05 PM
Have now been instructed to make a "normal" tray as this one is too good to use.... :rolleyes: :confused: :mad:

I read someone express the opinion that if you can't use "the good China" for the people that are most important to you, then there's something wrong. Just use it. Then you get to enjoy it more often.

Superb work PP.

Tex79
15th May 2006, 05:11 PM
Wow, that's magnificent.

I agree with what Zenwood said, and you get a chance to show it off when ever friends come over for "Coffee"

oges
15th May 2006, 07:59 PM
Amazing looking tray, a shame to see that it wont be put to use.

Forgive my ignorance but what is the difference between laminating and veneer? is it the thickness of the timbers?

powderpost
15th May 2006, 09:37 PM
Oges, laminating is the cutting and joining of solid timber. Veneering uses a substrate (e.g. a sheet of particle board) and glue down sheets of veneer about 0.6mm thick.
Jim

chrisb691
15th May 2006, 09:45 PM
A new tray was required in the household. This one is laminated from timber and not veneered. Have now been instructed to make a "normal" tray as this one is too good to use.... :rolleyes: :confused: :mad:
Jim

That tray is simply awsome, please accept a greeny from me. If you could give a brief explanation of how you went about making it, it would be really appreciated.:)

powderpost
15th May 2006, 10:22 PM
Chris, the process is similar to the described in the thread below. Have a look there, it will save me a lot of two finger tapping. Thanks
Jim
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=31685

Al B
15th May 2006, 10:43 PM
Wow what a spectacular looking tray, looks like a lot of work went into laminating all those pieces together. Well done jim.