PDA

View Full Version : Router/Bit/Jig problem

mrniceguy
15th May 2006, 12:12 PM
Sorry, I'm sort of a noob at this, but I am wanting to make a guitar speaker cabinet with half-blind dovetail joints using 3/4" thick pine, I have a router, 3/4" bits, 1/2" bits, a dovetail jig with 1/2" template and a 1/2" guide bushing. I set the wood in the jig correctly and line it up and lock it in place. When I follow the router thru the jig with a 1/2" bit, no matter how the depth of the bit is set, I get dovetails that just won't fit in their female slots. When I follow the jig with a 3/4" bit, no matter how the depth of the bit is set, I am getting joints that fit in their female slot, but are much too loose.

Can someone help me with advice as to what I am doing wrong or what bit I should use? Possibly a 5/8" bit?

Please, any help will be greatly appreciated.

damienhazo
15th May 2006, 08:30 PM
I'm not sure what kind of DT jig you're using but the depth of bit is critical. The jig should come with instructions informing you of the various depth settings necessary and these should be set using a calliper or router depth gauge.

A half a millimeter can make all the difference.

Damien
PS. Don't be surprised if some Darksider answers your post with something like, 'Cut 'em yourself'. They're a special lot and will never learn...

gpsmith
16th May 2006, 04:55 PM
It could be you are using the wrong guide bush for that particular router bit. Depending on the dovetail jig that you are using - you may have to adjust the height/depth settings.
It is always good to test the settings on scrap - which I assume that you are doing.
regards,

mrniceguy
17th May 2006, 08:44 AM
nvm, I bought a Porter Cable dovetail jig. Problem solved, I highly reccomend these!

bruno
31st May 2006, 11:16 PM
where can I find more info on these porter cable items ?

doug the slug
31st May 2006, 11:39 PM
PS. Don't be surprised if some Darksider answers your post with something like, 'Cut 'em yourself'. They're a special lot and will never learn...

How about "get a woodrat" :D :D :D :D :D

damienhazo
1st June 2006, 09:15 AM
How about "get a woodrat" :D :D :D :D :D

How about 'stop setting yours up and actually post some woodworking pics of all the stuff you swore you where going to do with it when you sat on the fence all that time deciding whether or not to buy that damn rat'.

Oh and Doug, I know I've said this before but I just love your jugs....

Damien

Stuart
1st June 2006, 11:58 AM
My wife doesn't - she cracks the sh!ts every time she sees me reading a post where they appear. Keeps wanting me to stop visiting the BB because of it, as we are all apparently just looking at for the amount of time spent here (and because of certain avatars). My answer which is just holding up the dam is "I'm either here with you reading the BB, or I'm out in the shed. Your choice." But it does cause some friction- have to scroll quickly through Doug's posts.

Sprog
1st June 2006, 06:29 PM
My wife doesn't - she cracks the sh!ts every time she sees me reading a post where they appear. Keeps wanting me to stop visiting the BB because of it, as we are all apparently just looking at for the amount of time spent here (and because of certain avatars). My answer which is just holding up the dam is "I'm either here with you reading the BB, or I'm out in the shed. Your choice." But it does cause some friction- have to scroll quickly through Doug's posts.

Just turn off avatars in User CP, problem solved :D

damienhazo
1st June 2006, 08:22 PM
My wife doesn't - she cracks the sh!ts every time she sees me reading a post where they appear.

Let her on the keyboard next time you see Doug's online. She can track him down and give him a piece of her mind! Perhaps they can have a cat fight online, during which Doug's top will be ripped off... I hereby volunteer to be the referee. You can squirt them down with baby oil...

Yeeehhaaa!

Damien