PDA

View Full Version : Doncha love the process

Daddles
15th May 2006, 12:25 PM
Sat down in me shed yesterday to plan the next stage of operations in building Sixpence (the wee boat in me avatar). Sat the coachhouse on her. Put in the seat tops. Dug out the plans. It took about two hours but I finally worked out how it's all going to go together from here.

First I do job A.
But I can't do A until I've done B.
Of course, B needs the have C finished.
But I can't start on C until I've finished A :confused:

Ah well, when you don't know the right thing to do, do the wrong thing. At least fixing up the mistake gives you a definite goal :rolleyes:

Richard

onthebeachalone
15th May 2006, 02:36 PM
As they say,

When you're up to your armpits in alligators, it's difficult to remember that your first objective was to drain the swamp. ;)

Have you read the bit in Howard Chappelle's book about having a "groaning chair"? Every boat builder's shed should have one.

Daddles
15th May 2006, 03:30 PM
[/I]Have you read the bit in Howard Chappelle's book about having a "groaning chair"? Every boat builder's shed should have one.

Mate, I've got THREE :eek: A wooden chair that gets stood on a lot and has bits clamped to it from time to time, not to mention being used as access into the boat by my daughter, there's the old office chair that got send to the shed in disgrace ... because it's dangerous but still darned comfy, and then there is old Jason Rocker Recliner :D

Richard

onthebeachalone
15th May 2006, 03:35 PM
Mate, I've got THREE :eek: A wooden chair that gets stood on a lot and has bits clamped to it from time to time, not to mention being used as access into the boat by my daughter, there's the old office chair that got send to the shed in disgrace ... because it's dangerous but still darned comfy, and then there is old Jason Rocker Recliner :D

Richard
With that lot I reckon there's no problem you can't solve :p

Very nice looking boat by the way.

Stuart
15th May 2006, 04:09 PM
Sat down in me shed yesterday to plan the next stage of operations in building Sixpence (the wee boat in me avatar). Sat the coachhouse on her. Put in the seat tops. Dug out the plans. It took about two hours but I finally worked out how it's all going to go together from here.

First I do job A.

Ah well, when you don't know the right thing to do, do the wrong thing. At least fixing up the mistake gives you a definite goal :rolleyes:

Richard "There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza dear Liza....."

Come on - we all know the words - sing to the grumpy ol' bugga :D

jmk89
15th May 2006, 04:14 PM
That's why you need two seats in the workshop (in my case the front two seats of the car :D ) - one for the planning and one for the groaning.

Seriously - this is why the best thing in my work area (the last 6 feet of the garage) is a small white board to write up the steps for the current project. When you discove that you got it wrong, rub out the wrong bits and re-do the list. At the end, put it in a small book so you can remember what you did. I always put the description of the project at the top as that is how I remember what I did.

ernknot
15th May 2006, 09:45 PM
That's why you need two seats in the workshop (in my case the front two seats of the car :D ) - one for the planning and one for the groaning.

Seriously - this is why the best thing in my work area (the last 6 feet of the garage) is a small white board to write up the steps for the current project. When you discove that you got it wrong, rub out the wrong bits and re-do the list. At the end, put it in a small book so you can remember what you did. I always put the description of the project at the top as that is how I remember what I did.
whatdidjasay???

Ashore
15th May 2006, 10:02 PM
First I do job A.

If you can't figure out where to start Go to e-bay
Solves all your probs and gives you more to spend on more tools.:D

Rgds

Wild Dingo
15th May 2006, 10:34 PM
whatdidjasay???

And thats just what I thought!!! :eek:

Man that seems like a lot of work :p

OOOHHH BY THE WAY!!! Groaning chair smoanin chair!! Its called a MOANING CHAIR... Just thought Id have a go at bein pedantic for a change for grumpy ;)