PDA

View Full Version : Spindle Master (Robert & Sorby)

Pharaoh_25
15th May 2006, 07:54 PM
Hi All,
I've recently purcased a spindle master, on the recommendation of my local woodwork shop. I've used it several time with clean cut results. I can't get my head around or understand the burnishing aspect of it. Even with excellent tool finish light sanding still required.

Pharaoh

Christopha
15th May 2006, 08:41 PM
Your local woodwork shop doesn't like you........ just your money!

JackoH
15th May 2006, 10:08 PM
Bloody Hell! I could have sold you one of those!
I have several gimmicky tools I purchased when I was in the first flush of woodturning, FIG.JAM, at least I thopught so!

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th May 2006, 07:27 PM
How're you sharpening it? I simply use a fine diamond lap on the flat side. That's all it needs. I gotta agree with the others... since the intial "new toy" appeal wore off I don't have much use for it, except as a dust collector. :rolleyes: One day I'll get around to reprofiling it into something more useful. One day...

BTW, it's "Robert Sorby," not Robert "and" Sorby. ;)

Wood worrier
27th May 2006, 02:20 AM
Tried one of these at a Sorby demonstration, they work well. However, save your money and learn to use a skew - far better. If you must use a spindle master NEVER touch the bevel, sharpen by honing across the flat top.

Hickory
27th May 2006, 04:00 AM
Okay, so now you have one. Something between a round nose scraper with a rounded backside and a fingernail grind. There are some advantages to this tool but I suggest you watch this movie clip to answer your questions. http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5024 Sharpening should be simple as you hone the flat surface to bring the keen edge back, no neet to grind unless you chip or roll the edge.

Sir Stinkalot
27th May 2006, 05:28 PM
I have just returned from the Robert Sorby demo held at the Woodsmith where the tools were demonstrated by the Sorby man from the UK.

He said, as others have said, to only touch up the top flat edge with a diamond sharpener. Never touch the bevel. If you touch the bevel then you need to purchase the Robert Sorby sharpening and honing kit :( .

Auld Bassoon
27th May 2006, 07:37 PM
I have several gimmicky tools I purchased when I was in the first flush of woodturning

Methinks that many woodies go through this; I certainly did :o. Having all those catalogues to plough through (especially the LV ones :rolleyes: ), meant that I bought a pile of stuff that I don't use as much as I once thought that I might.

Glad to say that I've managed to escape with only a couple of real 'dudders' though.

Auld Bassoon
27th May 2006, 07:40 PM
However, save your money and learn to use skew

I hope you have an amicable arrangement with Skew ChiDAMN!! to use him like this :D :D

TurnedAround
27th May 2006, 10:06 PM
I took mine back to our local Woodcraft and got a nice 1 inch skew.

Neil
28th May 2006, 10:46 AM
Tool manufacturers (one especially) aren't stupid. They know that half a dozen tools are all that is needed by a half decent woodturner. That is why they keep on coming out with these new gimmicky tools all the time. They know that all the mugs out there will buy them and add more value to their bank account.

Your best bet would have been to learn to use the basic tools correctly, if you had done that you wouldn't need to ask about the burnishing aspect, it would have come naturally.

Forget all the fad tools they're not needed, especially the most faddish ones that come from a certain UK company renowned for copying other peoples ideas, botching them up and selling them by the ton to unsuspecting novices who don't know any better.

There are some new, sort of faddish (purpose built) tools out there that are extremely well designed and work brilliantly. Most of them don't come from the copiers. A couple worth mentioning are the Rolly Munro Hollowing tools and the Vic Wood Rotary Sander. Two completely different purpose built woodturning tools that have been copied by others. Beware the coppies, many have all the bells and whistles and even extras thrown in but in most cases none of them work anywhere near as well or are anywhere near as good a value.

Cheers - Neil :)

PS TurnedAround - Smart move.

JackoH
29th May 2006, 10:33 AM
Neil has hit the nail right on the head, as usual.
That still won't stop you buying these so called wonder tools in the first flush of enthusiasm when you start turning.
However before you buy new ones, most of us have lots of these lurking at the back of the cupboard or shelf. So tell us what takes your fancy and I am sure someone can supply at a considerable discount!

rsser
29th May 2006, 05:55 PM
Well it's made of HSS so you can play around with making your own tool. Just need an angle grinder to rough out and bench grinder to finish.

JackoH
30th May 2006, 10:22 AM
With their (Sorby) spiralling tool?

hughie
30th May 2006, 11:44 AM
Well it's made of HSS so you can play around with making your own tool. Just need an angle grinder to rough out and bench grinder to finish.

Yep that would my reaction to it as well,. Good bit of steel just needs some re-adjustment :D

hughie

rsser
30th May 2006, 06:23 PM
Actually I'm not that taken with Sorby HSS as a by the way - not that this matters much since you've got it and can have some fun doing your own tool design now ;-}

The Henry Taylor stuff in my kit outperforms it by a country mile.