PDA

View Full Version : Whats on your Sydney WWW Show Shopping List?

I_wanna_Shed
16th May 2006, 10:23 AM
With the Sydney show just a few weeks away, whats on your shopping list?

Mine is below:

Vacuum or 1HP dust extractor (still need to read about pro's and cons. Hmmm, maybe the budget MAY stretch to a 2HP)
Forstner bit set
Lock mitre router bit
Spiral cut router bit (probably a set)
Maybe a biscuit joiner
No doubt there will be other things that will catch my eye.... :)

Zed
16th May 2006, 10:41 AM
3hp b/s. (this is just on the "sigh..." list however)

shoulder plane.

sigh....:o

Stuart
16th May 2006, 11:39 AM
3hp b/s. (this is just on the "sigh..." list however)

shoulder plane.

sigh....:o Don't wait for the show Zed - I just got a 1" shoulder plane from HNT Gordon in ebony :D
Melbourne show is still months away, which is my excuse

Zed
16th May 2006, 12:08 PM
Yeah, I like the little metal ones. LV, VERITAS, Clifton or a secondy - Im a bit funny wth the wedge mounts.....

I coulda got a LN but (One of) you bastards beat me to it the other day!!! :D :D

Wongo
16th May 2006, 01:00 PM
1 router bit, maybe a JessEm router plate, a number of bandsaw blades and timber.:o

Greg Ward
16th May 2006, 01:57 PM
You woodies are funny.

You dream about everything but wood.

I'd hate to be married to any of you.

All you think about is equipment, not the body (of timber) you are going to work upon.

Regards
Greg

PS I'll be there..... with the wood......

Stuart
16th May 2006, 02:10 PM
We get wood thinking about tools....

ss_11000
16th May 2006, 05:06 PM
at the newy show (if i can make it -not sure yet)

Dusty
bench grinder
bigggggger bs
disc sander
scroll saw
pen kits

just depends on how much i save up as to what i am able to get

tonysa
16th May 2006, 05:17 PM

LMAO, nice one Steve ....

I_wanna_Shed
16th May 2006, 06:11 PM

Then you should come to work with me at Blackwoods.... LOVE walking around the warehouses......

TEEJAY
16th May 2006, 06:29 PM
You woodies are funny.

You dream about everything but wood.

I'd hate to be married to any of you.

All you think about is equipment, not the body (of timber) you are going to work upon.

Regards
Greg

PS I'll be there..... with the wood......

Having a chainsaw mill I get almost as excited going bush as I do going to the show - the show is for tools and the bush is for wood.

I did buy a very modest amount of huon pine at the Bris Show last weekend $10 worth - such extravagence :rolleyes: :p But two weeks ago the dining table top slab burl in redgum from out west WOW - pics soon. :D

inferno6688
16th May 2006, 06:58 PM
I have had my shopping list in my mind for months now!

-Disc sander
-router for hand held use
-incra mitre gauage
-router bits
they're are the bigger items!!

The only problem is now Carbatec Syd have there 'big' sale before the show, and claim to be cheap. So when do i buy?!!!! that is the question!!! reallys throws a spanner in the works!

Greg Ward
17th May 2006, 08:16 AM
It wouldn't be a www show without the wood.

It would be a toolies show.

The bush is quite comfortable where it is.

Greg

I_wanna_Shed
17th May 2006, 08:32 PM
I've spent all day reading about the Timbecon 1 and 2 HP extractors (FM-230 & FM-300) and still haven't made my mind up. A $99 Timbecon vac would probably 'do the job', but think that I may as well get an extractor now.

I'll be using it on 1 machine at a time inc, Triton Workcentre, router table, Ryobi/GMC thicknesser. But it would basically be useless for other smaller things such as a hand sander, sanding box etc??? :confused:

I'll have to keep on reading.....

Then the other question, if I do decide to get a Carbatec one, do I get one from their upcoming sale, or see if I can haggle a better price at the show!?!?

fletty
17th May 2006, 10:44 PM
shopping list?

whatever I don't buy at Carbatec's pre-show sale
Porter Cable biscuit cutter
(a couple of cheap(ish) ...) routers to put in the double router table for my Gifkin
$99 Timbecon vac
"ABSLUTELY NO ROUTER BITS!" swmbo, May 2006
one of those beautiful little bronze LN planes that open up dado's
(ignoring point 5...) a dado router bit to clean up the bottom of dados OR ...
(listening to SWMBO's instruction re router bits and ...) buying a CMT 8" dado set
HNT spokeshave
still thinking .......Fletty
PS, is anyone going to wear silly hats and meet in the doorway again? I watched from a distance last year!

TEEJAY
18th May 2006, 08:57 AM
It wouldn't be a www show without the wood.

It would be a toolies show.

The bush is quite comfortable where it is.

Greg

And of course the wood that came to the show must have come from? :rolleyes:

I confess I spend as much time looking through the wood section as I do the tools as this display gives me access to woods I wouldn't otherwise find or access.

I believe a lot of the wood there is free-range and not from some planted alotment.

I walk along trails in pig country cleared by D9 dozers on many thousand acre (hectare) lots and do enjoy selective extraction - for persoanl use. I still have a lot to learn about some identification - I don't know yet what gidgee looks like, but will find out.

When you spend thousands on milling gear then many hours sweating over one log in the outback heat breathing heavily and swallowing too many flies on the inbreath - I really don't think there is a great threat of too many people lining up for pilage and plunder.

The bush is vast and the occasional city toy extraction is insignificant compared to the country appliances. That doesn't mean I condone or indulge in unauthorised extraction either.

Wongo
18th May 2006, 11:01 AM
The only problem is now Carbatec Syd have there 'big' sale before the show, and claim to be cheap.

I am so there. I am taking Monday off and will buy a few items.

inferno6688, their pre-show sale offers the show price which 10% off almost everything.:)

Greg Ward
18th May 2006, 01:21 PM
TeeJay.
Know exactly what you mean.
First.... find your wood...... That's not always easy, but it's like gold digging, you get some great highs, and sometime waste a lot of time as well.

With cedar, Mal from Boutique Timber purchases from farmers, sometime dead trees, sometimes as part of clearing, sometimes as they need the cash, but it's always a pleasure to visit some property to examine what's on offer.

With rosewood, first he has to wander around looking for fallen logs and they're there... but not always gettable. I spotted a 4 foot wide beatiful rosewood log lasy year cut down around 100 years ago... but now although still lying solid, with too much punk to make the collection worthwhile.

Then comes the arranging of a loader and transport back to the property, then the cutting and laying down for a year, then the getting ready for the Sydney www show.

The selling is fun, so hope to see you there at the western end of the outside wood area. Mal has another 4 meter long by 1 metre wide red cedar solid plank to display again this year.

Regards
Greg

Christopha
18th May 2006, 03:11 PM
This is blooody charming! A pack of ingrates you are! Here you are on the UBeaut site, supplied free of charge by Uncle Neil and Aunty Pauline at great expense and your horrid little shopping lists don't include ONE SINGLE SOLITARY UBeaut product!!!!
I suggest that you immediately start editing your posts and lists to include lots of Uncle Neil and Aunty Paulines perfect polishing products.... PRONTO!

Wongo
18th May 2006, 03:15 PM
Oops I forgot to mention the fantastic UBeaut wax and ubeaut hard shellac.:D

Sorry uncle Neil.:o

I_wanna_Shed
18th May 2006, 03:35 PM
Funnily enough, I now need some finishing products for a coffee table! I haven't used Ubeaut's products before, but will now.

Christopha
18th May 2006, 03:38 PM
OK, now we are getting there....come on you lot!!!!

ss_11000
18th May 2006, 09:42 PM
well i new i forgot something:

gotta get me some eee and shelawax cream

fletty
18th May 2006, 09:50 PM
......and a second container of all of the UBeaut stuff that I've only got 1 container of!
Fletty

W.Lill
18th May 2006, 09:59 PM
Guess I'd better buy some more hard shellac then. I intend to be there on the Friday, and was planning on checking out the timber since I can only get Tassie Oak and Radiata here.

Wongo
23rd May 2006, 10:36 AM
I am so there. I am taking Monday off and will buy a few items.

inferno6688, their pre-show sale offers the show price which 10% off almost everything.:)

OK I have sinned again.

Took a birthday day off yesterday and went to the sale. 40 minutes later I was $720 poorer.

Some small Bessey clamps (yes I know:o )
A CMT router bit
A LV standard block plane (yes I know:o )
A Porta cable biscuit joiner

If you want to buy some bessey k-body then it is a good time. Buy 4 and get 25% off. It works out to be $86 for the K-100. I have 4 so I didn’t get any.

Wongo (one year older and 1 year stupider :D)

Termite
23rd May 2006, 12:50 PM
This is blooody charming! A pack of ingrates you are! Here you are on the UBeaut site, supplied free of charge by Uncle Neil and Aunty Pauline at great expense and your horrid little shopping lists don't include ONE SINGLE SOLITARY UBeaut product!!!!
I suggest that you immediately start editing your posts and lists to include lots of Uncle Neil and Aunty Paulines perfect polishing products.... PRONTO!
I thought it was an accepted fact that all forum members attending the show would automatically make the Ubeaut stand their first port of call...............even if it is only to lay sh!!t on the bald headed one.:D

Pat
23rd May 2006, 01:18 PM
Yes, the U Beaut stand is first call. I have marked the stands that I wish to visit first, so I be there early Friday to annoy Chris:) . Do we have new caps? Mine is getting abit used and abused!:D

Zed
23rd May 2006, 01:20 PM
i intend to buy neils book. oh... and to hurl abuse at doorstop.

but - NO Muffins!!!

Wongo
23rd May 2006, 01:59 PM
Termite, my inner me kept telling me to give you a reddie such rude remarks. I thought it was funny so I didn’t.:D You owe me a bigger one mate.:cool:

Pat, should I keep a poory nappy for you then?:D

Christopha
23rd May 2006, 05:44 PM
i intend to buy neils book. oh... and to hurl abuse at doorstop.

but - NO Muffins!!!

NO BLOOODY MUFFINS! strewth Zed, you de Mumffinman man.....:( :( :( :(

Pat
23rd May 2006, 07:04 PM
Scott, no thanks to the pooey nappy:D Though I'll have to get mor Trad Wax

Auld Bassoon
23rd May 2006, 07:29 PM
A Porta cable biscuit joiner

Hi Scott: I'd be interested to hear what you think of the P-C plate joiner when you've used it a bit...

Cheers!

Zed
23rd May 2006, 08:47 PM
Hi Scott: I'd be interested to hear what you think of the P-C plate joiner when you've used it a bit...

Cheers!

i've used mine "a bit" and its good. when I say good I mean eggsellent. precise, easy, adjustable. good dust recovery. did i mention precise ?

cheers

Shannon
25th May 2006, 02:56 PM
Hey there guys,

My dad and I are going to be there on the Friday.

On the list if it is a good show price is a Gifkins.
Some product from U Bueat
Maybe a spokeshave
Maybe some timber to help with working out the Gikfins :)

Hope to meet some of you around the U bueat stand

Wongo
28th May 2006, 11:59 AM

Cheers!

I finally used it yesterday, connected it to the shop-vac. made almost 200 cuts in a hurry, no dust no fuss. And the verdict… lets just say I fell in love with it. :D

There is a good reason why it is always the editor's choice in a tool review. It is a great piece of work.

greenie512
28th May 2006, 04:02 PM

Cheers!

I'd agree with Wongo and Zed, I bought my PC jointer at the Brisbane show and used it to joint up an new mobile workstation - great gear. I have CT's Archer jointer also and the Porter Cable make it look sloppy. A bit expensive but worth it if you use it enough.

inferno6688
31st May 2006, 11:03 AM
Guys

With the Syd show coming up, i was wondering what they do when u buy mahcinary? as in do u just pay and pick up later, or do they have stock there? eg Carbatec, Hafco, Timbecon?
i am mainly after a drill press.

I am just planning what car to take! :)

I m excited!!

Wongo
31st May 2006, 11:16 AM
It will be too silly for them to bring extra machines to the show. I think you usually pick it up later. For timbecon because they come from other state, they don’t want to bring all the display units home. So you probably can buy the display unit but I am not sure.

There will have plenty of small units like portable thicknessers or tablesaw. A drill press is quite heavy though so I don’t think they will have too many there. Also a drill press will fit any car easily so no worries there mate.

And yes I am excited too.:cool:

Pat
31st May 2006, 01:24 PM
Gee all I'm after is a LN blade for my Stanley No8, maybe their "Improved Chipbreaker", if it is warranted. A Scrub plane (Stanley/Record Pre WWII 40/040/40 1/2) and some more Ubeaut products.:D

fletty
31st May 2006, 02:01 PM
Hi Inferno,
It depends on what you're buying and who the dealer is. Some places carry a lot of stock and others freight after the show. There is a very good parcel pick-up area and I buy my goodies and take them to the pick-up area where they are stored safely until you drive in (many hours) later. Trolleys are avilable to load your car.
Yup, getting excited, taking a day off work and going friday. SWMBO can't work out how I can take a day off to go to WWW but won't take a day off for a gastroscopy!
Fletty

Greg Ward
31st May 2006, 03:46 PM
Don't forget the timber.......
See you outside with Mal at Boutique Timber. He's already set up and emptied his truck and is now waiting for half a dozen packs to come down by transport tomorrow to fill up the stands.
Apparently not as many timber suppliers (at least outside) this year... They may know something about the rain I don't.......
See you there Friday.
Regards
Greg

GregLee
1st June 2006, 12:11 AM
Mmmm... Let me see...

Neils Book...
Some White Shellac,
EEE- UltraShine
Traditional Wax

More, more, more Timber.. Looking for a nice NSW Rosewood slab I think.. I'm sure I have a couple of coffee tables for SHMBO that need making to justify the show expenditure.

Also I'm Jointer shopping.. So it's time to finally decide whether to buy the Jet or not. Also after a decent Bench Drill Press, my little 5 speed Ryobi has seen better days.

Wouldn't mind a couple more water stones to add to the sharpening arsenal to keep the expanding collection of darkside gear in shape as well.

Maybe a new saw blade as well.. Some router bits, a few Spiral Carbides would be good. A nice 12inch Sander.

This is certainly looking like an expensive show.
More UBeaut products as usual...