PDA

View Full Version : Dampcourse?

silkwood
16th May 2006, 02:46 PM
I'm planning on erecting a carport in my back garden. This has been conditionally approved by coucil but now I want to clad it and turn it into a shed (okay I always meant to do this!). A quick call to council seems to confirm they have no problems with this so long as building code is adhered to. I want to erect shed on concrete slab and build in standard stud walls. After reading this forum I figure colorbond is the cladding of choice.My question is- what do I need to do around the base? Is a dampcourse of some sort required or some other form of sealing?

Cheers,

Mark

thebuildingsurv
16th May 2006, 03:29 PM
Malthoid under the bottom plate should be more than adequate, also a treated pine bottom plate would help.

silkwood
16th May 2006, 03:55 PM
Wasn't Malthoid one of the bad guys in the Superman comics?:rolleyes:

Cheers, I'll find out what it is and include it in the plans. Much appreciated.

scooter
16th May 2006, 11:01 PM
Nah, a Malthoid is a painful condition of the fire exit ( ;) ) caused by eating too many Maltesers while sitting on cold concrete...

...Or so I hear on www.wackydiagnoses.com (http://www.wackydiagnoses.com) :D

Cheers..................Sean, doctor who ?

ausdesign
18th May 2006, 08:55 AM
Silkwood, the basics are to run the cladding down over the slab edge for approx. 50mm to prevent water penetration.
As an aside, an open carport ( more than two thirds open) can be built within a meter of the boundary but if it is to be enclosed then there are several reg's that may need to be taken into account. If this is the case then I'd check with the council as to what is required for your particular situation.

Stuart
18th May 2006, 11:14 AM
Wish I'd done that - POS shed keeps letting water in everywhere.

skot
4th June 2006, 04:51 PM
If you haven't poured the slab yet, make sure you lay waterproof membrane under the concrete (plastic sheeting) ...I think 35 micron thick to stop moisture coming up from under the concrete.