PDA

View Full Version : how many have you made

ss_11000
16th May 2006, 05:55 PM
alright guys.....just wandering how many things you have made on a mandrel ( key ring, pens, letter openers etc.)

bdar
16th May 2006, 10:01 PM
Stirlo have lost count my friend, I think I average 150-200 per year been doing it for at least 20 years at that rate the quantity doesn't matter anymore it is the quality.
Darren

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th May 2006, 10:12 PM
Definitely too many to count. Whatever the figure, it'd probably double if I included the jigs & bushes I've made on a mandrel to use on the mandrel or in a chuck... :D

I look on the mandrel as an alternative mounting method to a chuck, along with faceplates, jam chucks and the like... it can do a helluva lot more than just handle pen-type items. ;)

ss_11000
16th May 2006, 10:17 PM
I look on the mandrel as an alternative mounting method to a chuck, along with faceplates, jam chucks and the like... it can do a helluva lot more than just handle pen-type items. ;)

like what.....:confused:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th May 2006, 10:39 PM
Did you see the little bowl I made from a broken goblet?

To clean up the base I mounted it in a chuck to drill the centre out and then fitted it onto the mandrel (with a brass pen tube on each side to clamp it) and then I could turn both sides the way I wanted without having to muck about reverse chucking it, etc.

Any small, flattish disk can be turned this way, so long as you don't mind the hole in the cente. :) Pot-pourri lids are another example...

I've also made bushes to fit snuggly inside holes made by a forstner bit, about 1"ish in diameter. I can hollow a blank for a salt'n'pepper mill with forstner bits in the drill-press and then mount them on the mandrel to do the outside. It makes it very simple to get smooth flowing lines between the body and the cap.

The only "trick" is learning to make your own bushes... and if you're particularly eager, to make a longer, thicker shaft to swap over for the standard mandrel shaft. I just happen to have a 2' x 1/2" job lying handy to hand. ;)

bdar
16th May 2006, 11:04 PM
The mandrel is also handy for making knife handles and tool handles, closed end pens, you are only limited by your imagination. Something like that, hey Skew.:)
Darren

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th May 2006, 11:09 PM
'Sactly so!

Shedhand
16th May 2006, 11:10 PM
where's the what's a mandril choice? :confused:

ss_11000
17th May 2006, 04:47 PM
where's the what's a mandril choice? :confused:

knew i missed an option:eek:

yeah i saw that box skew, it was good. i had no idea that that kind of thing can be done with a mandrel....

silentC
17th May 2006, 04:55 PM
Isn't he a cartoon magician? :confused:

I've got a lathe but haven't used a mandrel. Might have to get one. But I need a better lathe first, mine sucks...

CameronPotter
17th May 2006, 04:58 PM
A $20 mandrel is cheaper than a new lathe - and can be kept providing that the taper in the headstock is the same... :D

silentC
17th May 2006, 05:14 PM
My headstock doesn't have a taper :(

Shedhand
17th May 2006, 05:27 PM
Hey Cam, you need somewhere to store your lathe and other goodies when you go to the land of the free (not) and home of the brave (not)?
:D ;) :D ;)

ss_11000
17th May 2006, 05:30 PM
My headstock doesn't have a taper :(

gmc or similar?

silentC
17th May 2006, 07:12 PM
GMC didn't exist when we bought this baby. Crompton Betts something or other...

CameronPotter
18th May 2006, 11:06 AM
No taper... Well, ummm... OK - get a new lathe. ;)

As for the offer of free storage, I appreciate it Sheddy, but you wouldn't believe how many people have offered this to me already! :p

silentC
18th May 2006, 11:27 AM
OK - get a new lathe
OK, I'll just tell the missus you said it was OK. "Hey, sweetheart, Cam says I can get a new lathe. He reckons.... owwww!!!".

Think I swallowed a tooth...

CameronPotter
18th May 2006, 12:15 PM
OK, I'll just tell the missus you said it was OK. "Hey, sweetheart, Cam says I can get a new lathe. He reckons.... owwww!!!".

Think I swallowed a tooth...

LOL! :D :D