PDA

View Full Version : Shower Waste - Gutter type

Ben (TM)
17th May 2006, 12:02 PM
Hi there,

Just getting ready to install two shower recesses in tow bathrooms in a reno project.

The shower in the ensuite is an odd size, so we have elected to tile the base in. Builder says that they will just fall the base into a centre waste. I was thinking that one of those strip style gutters might look alright - the one's that have the grate over them? Anyone know where I can get some infor on them? I've heard that they are expensive - any other cons?

Thanks
Ben

Ben (TM)
17th May 2006, 01:59 PM
Found two - it's called shower channel.
Reece stocks it - $406 for a 900mm length - I don't think so!

Looks like we will go for a standard waste in the middle of the base.

Now, if we have a tiled in base with no 'hob' - does that mean that the entire bathroom floor needs to be waterproofed? Not such as issue in the ensuite as it is only 1420 x 2600, but the othe rbathroom could get expensive as it has a walk through to the laundry...

Bin J
17th May 2006, 07:46 PM
Yes, very expensive - I had one installed in my ensuite - much to the disgust of my husband! I had mine custom made which was even worse.

My reason was because I wanted really big tiles in the bathroom (45cm sq) and didn't want some diagonal joins (fussy I know). So the whole floor slopes to one end of the ensuite. The shower is hobless, so it also doubles at the shower waste.

Mine was 'Aquadux': www.aquadux.com.au (http://www.aquadux.com.au) (Dux Platinum Stainless Steel)

I've seen them on Ebay for about $250.00 (search for
'grate'): http://search.ebay.com.au/_W0QQsassZshodancariiQQhtZ-1

Waterproofing: Yes, our whole floor was waterproofed, and up the walls! A bit of overkill really.

Ben (TM)
18th May 2006, 11:32 AM
Good one! There is a couple on ebay now for about $250. Still a bit on the pricey side me thinks. I'm looking to use as big tiles as I can too - the less grout the letter in my opinion, but I'm not too fussed about angle cuts to get the fall into a center waste - however, I do agree that it would look nicer to have the fall to one end and have the grate.

Thanks for the tip on the waterproofing.