PDA

View Full Version : 4 Jaw Chucks

abungate
31st May 2002, 11:14 AM
Hi All,

I am thinking of buying a 4-jaw self centering chuck. But, there seems to be quite a number of manufacturers, as well as models within the manufacturer.

What brand/model do people find best?

I am a beginner turner, so ease of use is something to consider. I will be making boxes, maybe some bowls. My lathe is the Hafco WL-18.

Ive heard a few good things about the Nova chuck. What are peoples thoughts there?

Any advice on what to look out for would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Andrew

Tim the Timber Turner
31st May 2002, 02:36 PM
The early Nova's were Bloody awfull. I sent my first 2 back because they wouldn't run true. Not long after that they included a data sheet specifying the total runout of each chuck. This told me they had a real problem with quality control.

These chucks rattled after a while because of wear in the scroll. The steel quality was not very good. Beware of any chuck that is chemicaly blackened, this is done to stop it rusting. This is not done to a Vicmarc or Bonham, which indicates the steel, being of a better quality resists rust (and wear).

I have a mate that has one of the new key operated Nova's. When the chuck is done up with the key and the key inserted into the other hole the gears don't meet, so you can't use that 2nd position.
Over the years I have been asked a number of times, to look at chucks that people have had problems with and with one exception they have all been Novas.

You Get's what you pay for. Be Australian buy Australian. Vicmark first, Bonham second.

------------------
Some days I turns thisaway, somedays I turns thataway and other days I don't turn at all.

Iain
31st May 2002, 05:43 PM
Of course you could really hit rock bottom and get a Record.
I have heard they are a real joy to set up and employ a rubber band to hold them together.

cliff cook
1st June 2002, 12:02 AM
Hey Tim i have to disagree with you there. I`ve had a Super Nova for just over a year now and given it a real hiding with 3 of us using the thing and my only gripe is fidling around with little screws when changing jaws.
I`ve found that as long as you mark the piece to corespond to the jaw number rechucking is no problem.
cooky

abungate
3rd June 2002, 09:23 AM
Ive heard a lot of good things about the Super Nova (which is where I think I'm heading).

Are there any nuances working with 4-jaw chucks, or perhaps with the Super Nova? Any known problems or limitations?

Ive never used one before, so I wouldnt even know how to chuck a piece of wood (although, from what Ive read, its not too hard).

Geoff Allen
3rd June 2002, 01:32 PM
I've been using a Super Nova chuck for three years, got sick of changing jaws so I bought another one. Then I bought a cheaper Nova chuck. I've found that if you don't clean them out every year or so the action gets clogged up.
As for keys not meeting gears I never had a problem ( I lengthened the handle on of the keys so that I could tighten up close on platters).
Stick to the instructions and you won't have a problem.

Bruce Bell
4th June 2002, 07:45 AM
I agree with Tim I jave tried chucks from all around the world and the Vicmarc VM 100 and 120 are by far the best of all of them in both quality, design and ease of use.

Buy Aussie made and you can't go wrong.

Still enjoying the thrill of making the chips fly.

BrianR
6th June 2002, 11:00 PM
I reckon the Vicmarc VM100 / VM120 is the way to go. The ones I've used run true, don't rattle and grip well.

Originally posted by abungate:
Hi All,

I am thinking of buying a 4-jaw self centering chuck. But, there seems to be quite a number of manufacturers, as well as models within the manufacturer.

What brand/model do people find best?

I am a beginner turner, so ease of use is something to consider. I will be making boxes, maybe some bowls. My lathe is the Hafco WL-18.

Ive heard a few good things about the Nova chuck. What are peoples thoughts there?

Any advice on what to look out for would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Andrew

------------------
Brian

===============

ubeaut
7th June 2002, 05:32 PM
Been using Nova for years long before the others were even on the market. Have tried many others including the Bonham and Vicmarks and my personal choice is still for the Nova.

One thing you can usually rely on with the Vicmark is good quality control. I must admit that Nova do have the odd fall down on quality control from time to time. Luckilly for them, not with my chucks.

Like Doorstop said. No matter what you buy don't get a cheap one. You will mostly be buying problems.

Jim Carroll
7th June 2002, 10:34 PM
I agree that you should buy a quality chuck whether it is Super Nova ( my preferance) Vic Marc Or bonham, just so long as you learn the limitations of the chuck and dont try to do something it is not designed for. There is a wide range of accessories available for these chucks to more than accomadate any turning job you want to try.

------------------
Jim
Turn it up

sunshine
27th June 2002, 07:34 AM
Just received my Vicmarc 100 chuck from Carbatec....
Wanted to thank you for all your comments as I am a kind-of-beginner woodturner and did not know just what chuck to invest in.
Ordered on the internet and received in a week. (Australia to So. Calif).

Enjoy reading this BB very much.
Thanks. Phyllis

poley
10th July 2002, 04:35 PM
I have a Hattersley & Davidson 6 in i, came with the lathe, and took a week to learn how to put it togetheras no instructions; its from Sheffield looks beautiful, and the jaws grab beautifully, if set up correctly. Has anyone else got one? Looks old.
BTW I have been experimenting, trying to turn salad servers, fiendishly hard to make the spoon, and have a knurl on the handle, any ideas, or references, I cannot fing a plan on the web, on in the journal.

------------------
Huon in my nostrils
ahhh.