PDA

View Full Version : red cedar and camphor trees

weisyboy
18th May 2006, 04:20 PM
i am thinking of felling 2 dead red cedar and 3 huge camphor trees and was after some info on the best way to saw them.

will they sell better in slabs or logs:confused:

and also if any one is interested on prchasing some of the timber pleas send me a pm.

Greg Ward
18th May 2006, 04:42 PM
Red cedar logs are worth around 500/cube if good colour, branhes much less, wider worth more.
Camphor logs around 100-200/cube.

Boards are naturally worth more, but need cutting and drying and then selling.

Mal from Boutique Timbers is always buying logs, call him on 0265 858296 if you wish (after 7.00 pm)
Regards

Greg

cedar n silky
18th May 2006, 04:47 PM
I suggest you slab the wide stuff particularly the cedar (I suggest 40mm and maybe 50mm thick which will dress down to 35 and 45mm or there abouts), and keep the limbs for turning and the like.
If the tree forks from the main trunk, maybe keep that as a chunk. it might be usefull and sought after for turning, as the grain would be figurative there.
I have seen some very ordinary cedar with very little grain, but these trees usualy grow in a plantation or forest setting, whereas the cedar tree that grew on it's own in the paddock and branched low to the ground can be very figurative.
Like wise if the camphor has good width to it (and is figurative), they make excellent bench tops and tables, and are worth slabbing, however that said, where I'm from there is a lot of camphor growing and plenty of smaller stuff readily available on the side ofthe road.
Try leaving the bark on the slabs, I have seen plenty of good slabs ruined because the sapwood and bark was sawn off- Some chippys like to use that as a feature! :D

soundman
18th May 2006, 05:15 PM
drop exador a PM, hell be able to sort you out.
he has a yard at archerfield and a lucas mill.
cheers