PDA

View Full Version : My Workshop

TK1
19th May 2006, 10:34 AM
Hi all,

Now that I've worked out how to post pics, I thought I'd do as others have done and put up a few of the 'shed' and works in progress.

Had a visitor recently that was impressed so thought I'd inflict my workspace on the rest of you. It's a double garage (although I don't like to use the term 'garage', that implies a car may need to go in there one day, which won't happen);)

As seems to be the case with those lucky enough to build real boats, the workspace is anunfinished project...needs skylights, flouro lights, more power, insulation, some more shelves and benches, a new door...the usual stuff!:D

So, here we go...

First pic is standing at the door looking in. On left just out of shot are contractor's saw, SCMS on bench, large timbers behind door. In front are 2 lathes on benches and ropewalk track above. Behind is main bench, and from left against far wall is drafting table, shelves, stripwood store and machine bench.

Other shot is of the right hand side, where the messy or 'real' woodwork is usually done. Lathes again, metalwork/tool restoring bench beside and sharpening station. On right is original built-in bench with planes and hand power tools stored underneath. Sink and paint cupboard in lower right of photo.

TK1
19th May 2006, 10:47 AM
Main bench area - an old dining table top (all benches are made from recycled bits or scavenbged furniture).

On bench on LHS is L'Astrolabe being planked, behind it is Thermopylae having deckhouses built (still to have second layer of planking and coppering done).

On shelves below is 'Schooner for Port Jackson' and Victory on top shelf, Essex and America at frame stage at bottom and a fiberglass mould for a sailing yacht. Yes, we have a few projects on at any one time! Workshop is mine but some tools and models underway are from a friend who I now build with, he has Parkinsons so all the sharp/dangerous things are at my place and he comes over and we work together.

Other view is overall shot of thie main bench area from the drawing board. machine bench, ropes hanging on wall, roll-top desk beside main bench where fine work is done and has 10 drawers holding all the hand tools.

Just 2 more pics to go!

davo453
19th May 2006, 10:52 AM
Nice one, so clean & well organised and a nice array of tools too.

Wish I could say the same about my current "Rat hole" my main problem is a lack of natural light but at least that makes it harder to see the mess.

Cheers

Dave

TK1
19th May 2006, 10:57 AM
A couple more pics to make it complete...

Close-up of ropewalk, sitting atop roll-top desk. Made by my friend...sewing machine powers 4 spindles which twist thread (pulled down from spools on top) and wooden bobbin keeps the threads separate until tension twists it all together. Tie off each end a viola...left or right hand twisted 2,3,4, or more strand thread at a scale to suit the model.

Wood storage...stripwood in a mobile trolley and under tool bench is more wood. Cut down on contractor saw, then bandsaw, then put through thickness sander (again made from sewing machine)

TK1
19th May 2006, 11:12 AM
Under bench is also jars of sawdust...we keep everything we can...and this is used to make matching wood filler for gaps, or to mould stern decorations. One thing I like about building the models is using decent woods as the quantity is fairly small (and 0.5mm x 5mm strips go a long way!). We use cherry, ash, mohogany, limewood, apple, pearwood, oak, elm, cedar, and others I pick up and can't identify but 'look right'.

Other pic is just a close-up of the rear house of the Thermopylae, in 1/64 scale. Nearly done. Deck is over 300 pieces os 3mm wide x 100mm long oak planking. Deckhouse is cheesewood, cherry and mahogany with brass stanchions and portholes.

Behind it is the keel of Shackleton's Endurance which will be about 1.5 m long.

Enjoy!

Regards,
Darren
Melbourne

jmk89
19th May 2006, 12:06 PM
Darren

That's some workshop and some product coming out of it.

Greenie on its way, if I can.

Cheers

Jeremy

Wongo
19th May 2006, 04:38 PM
Very nice workshop Darren. It must a nice place to build a model ship.:)

mickp
19th May 2006, 09:10 PM
great workshop but the work your doing is even more impressive.
wish I had the patience

bitingmidge
19th May 2006, 09:33 PM
Darren,

I specially like your ropewalk! Answered a few questions for me that did!

How's the Surfboat coming along?

P

TK1
19th May 2006, 09:41 PM
Hi,

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Midge, you probably can't see them in the pics but the surfboat plans are on the rolltop desk...on the "to do list" pile. But really must get going on it...the original reason (gift) didn't eventuate but I may try to get it done by xmas when I see the intended recipient.

Will be sure to post pics when I start.

Hmm...may just go and look at them and think about doing some work on them.

Who ever said these forums aren't inspirational!:D

Regards,
Darren