PDA

View Full Version : Help Wanted in Perth: teak decking and cabinetry

Boaty Bob
19th May 2006, 06:50 PM
I'm finishing off a beautiful (but GRP !- forgive brothers for I have sinned !) 28' launch. To give it soul and desire, I'm teak decking it inside and out. I desperately need help procurring & laying the teak, although I have the technique (not the time) to do it. I also need a hand finishing the galley- mainly cabinetry and bech-top work to accomodate stove fridge and sink etc

Any members wanting cash/beers/boat use in exchange for their assistance can contact me direct on 040 777 6583. The boat's in Nedlands and on land so access is very easy.

Daddles
19th May 2006, 08:13 PM
I'm happy to donate a gallon of petrol and a box of matches :D

please.

Sorry, not even a few beers will have me commute to WA to work on a boat, not even a wooden one. Apart from that, welcome to the asylum. We don't bite ... but sometimes we chew a bit.

Richard

PS, Shane, the Wild Dingo, will be back in two weeks and if it floats he's got a fixation with it.

scottyk
22nd May 2006, 07:26 PM
Hey Bob
I am in Spearwood and could donate some advice but probably not to much on site time.
I am doing a teak laid deck on my own little trailer sailor and one thing that I would look into before deciding if a Teak deck is for you is the price of Teak, some would call it expensive to say the least.
If you are still keen after chasing the price of the stuff then send me a PM and I may be able to help a bit.
Thanks
Scotty

Boaty Bob
14th June 2006, 08:39 PM
Hey Bob
I am in Spearwood and could donate some advice but probably not to much on site time.
I am doing a teak laid deck on my own little trailer sailor and one thing that I would look into before deciding if a Teak deck is for you is the price of Teak, some would call it expensive to say the least.
If you are still keen after chasing the price of the stuff then send me a PM and I may be able to help a bit.
Thanks
Scotty

Thanks Scotty for the reply, sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

I don't think teak is comparatively expensive if you buy it in unsawn block. The expense comes in sawing it down to layable dimensions- I'm using 6mm x 40mm strips, then laying it, for which I'm using Sika black marine adhesive. I'm very happy with the job so far, but my chippy went AWOL leaving me up Half-Finished Creek.

You wanna discuss doing a joint buy and preparation of the timber- I'm working on it this weekend- you're welcome to come over & look at the job so far.

BB 040 777 6583

Wild Dingo
16th June 2006, 06:38 PM
Well your a bit far for me to just zip up and have a gander... although Ive been known to travel quite a distance for a gander at a fine boat... just been a tad crooker than buggary and still recouperating just now :rolleyes:

Anyways... teak? your considerin doin a jobbuy of teak and you aint asked me???!!!!!! Bloody ell Im mortified :eek:

mmm mind here Ive still gotta get my bum up to Perth to see another bloke about some African blackwood :o damn hope he doesnt get phissed of with waitin and sell it all... strewth buggar bein crook :(

Im guessing your layin the strips over ply Bob? then the siskaflex between? then a clear UV protection cover of some discription?... no worries you are on the right track mate

Now about the damned pics? I mean how hard is it ol mate eh? just take a bunch of happy snaps of the old girl we dont give a rats how messy she is how messy you are just take some ruddy pics!! Also I like those at work ones since once the works done we have a reference datum that we can go back and look back on... so dont just wait till its over before you show the pics a "this is how I did it... step 1" (2 3 4 etc) series is great :cool: