PDA

View Full Version : First bandsawn box attempt

ROB NZ
19th May 2006, 08:45 PM
Bought my first bandsaw a couple of months ago .

After a few trial cuts, and inspired by the book "Building beautiful boxes with your bandsaw" by Lois K Ventura, had a go!

I found cutting through the glued up 150mm block with a 3/16" blade a bit scary at first, but I'm pleased with this first attempt and submit it for comments.

The timber used for the body is recycled NZ totara (taken from the verandah of a 100 year old bungalow). Murphy was at my left elbow and arranged for a defect to be within the wood on the top cut!

The wood used for the contrasting handle is an imported south asian hardwood - name forgotten.

Given the need to sand the inner part of the box and drawer, I'm looking for a means of getting the gap above and below the drawer to appear equal in future attempts, and would appreciate advice.

Cheers,

ROB NZ

Skew ChiDAMN!!
19th May 2006, 09:15 PM
Good choice of timbers, they contrast nicely. :) I gather we can expect to see more from you?

I'm definitely no expert on BS boxes, but for this one have you given any thought to cutting two or three small, narrow slats half the thickness of the top gap and gluing 'em to the bottom in suitable spots?

The only tricky part I can see would be making 'em not too obvious when the drawer is closed.

ROB NZ
19th May 2006, 09:46 PM
Skew,

Thanks for your comments. I'll try do do some more boxes soon, but others have made lists of things for me to do both in and outside the workshop.

I had thought of some approach on the line you suggest in reply to my query, but actually wondered whether there was any clever way of sanding to make the bottom gap to appear as wide as the top gap, if you get my drift. I'll try an experiment on a pine mock up version which I can experiment with.

I'm sort of reluctant to add glue ons, apart from the obvious handle.

Cheers

ROB NZ

Skew ChiDAMN!!
19th May 2006, 09:52 PM
Ah. Perhaps routing a rebate along the bottom edge then?

KevM
19th May 2006, 10:06 PM
Bought my first bandsaw a couple of months ago .

Given the need to sand the inner part of the box and drawer, I'm looking for a means of getting the gap above and below the drawer to appear equal in future attempts, and would appreciate advice.

Cheers,

ROB NZ

Try gluing some felt type material (the same as you may line the bottom of a box) to the underside of the drawer, works really well to lift the drawer and provides a very good surface to slide on.

Kev M

RufflyRustic
19th May 2006, 10:59 PM
Very nice work for you first bandsawn box Rob!

Love that contrasting handle.

Looking forward to hearing about your next box.

cheers
Wendy

Sculptured Box
19th May 2006, 11:04 PM
ROB NZ

Well done, good use of the bandsaw. There are a number of ways of reducing the gap around the drawer, the first is not to overly sand the base of the drawer - use a fine sandpaper at the most. Secondly, use felt as suggested or small strips of timber glued to the base and side of the drawer to act as sleepers/runners. Thirdly, attempt to reduce the cavity by squeezing the open end to close the gap before gluing the back of the box in place (this is dependent upon the flexibility of the timber).

Heres to seeing more of your work,

Tony Ward

TTIT
20th May 2006, 12:54 AM
I still haven't tackled a bandsawn box myself (yet) but that looks pretty damned good to me. Well done mate!:D

ptc
20th May 2006, 11:12 AM
Rob.
welcome to the Club (B/S Boxes and talking wood)
excellent for your first one.
Tony is the expert. look at his web site. and look out for his designs
we he post's them.

ROB NZ
20th May 2006, 07:55 PM
Thanks everyone for your welcome and comments, which I appreciate, and have noted.

I'm encouraged to get on with the next. I'm thinking of gluing up 3 or 4 blanks in one go, so that I can proceed to the interesting part so much sooner.

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers

ROB NZ

Babytoolman
20th May 2006, 10:06 PM
Hi Bob,
Congrats on the box very good work. I am sure you will be hooked as we all are.