PDA

View Full Version : Bokken

KristianH
20th May 2006, 08:56 AM
I recently wanted to try and learn how to use a spokeshave and other hand tools , so I thought that a bokken would be perfect project for a beginner. This one took me about 2 1/2 hours to make using a clone of a Stanley 151 . It is made out of ash ( chosen by my teacher because he says it's strong , light wheight and springy) with a coat of tung oil and a bit of paste wax on top to make it easier to hold. I'm also making a second one for a friend who wants to practice kendo ( her's will have a Tsuba )

Sorry for the image quality , I don't have a great camera.

Auld Bassoon
20th May 2006, 08:47 PM
Hi Kristian, and welcome!

That's a nice example of using a spokeshave to form wood. Nice to use aren't they?

dai sensei
20th May 2006, 09:51 PM
Looks good Khristian.

I note your blade is very straight though, is this because of the size of the timber you started with? A bokken should have a slight curve, see piccy of mine here (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=20816)

Cheers

stevebaby
20th May 2006, 10:36 PM
I have the impression that Kendo can be an expensive sport.True?
I did fencing for a few years (epee) and enjoyed it enormously.Nothing concentrates the mind so well as someone rushing down the strip hell-bent on ramming a blade through your chest.
You tend not to think much about your other problems at moments like this.:D
I've been thinking about making a pair of bokken for a while,just for the fun of it and I can't think of a better way to develop spokeshave skills.
Well,actually,now that I think about it...giving Juanita Phillips a Brazilian would be another way but I think I will have a better chance of completing the job if I try the bokken.

Scally
20th May 2006, 11:39 PM
Love your work stevebaby. The young fella would have enough on his mind without your help.

A good sharp spokeshave is fun to use. I used it to refine a compound curve on a set of legs for a desk. It is surprising how good/smooth a job you can do.

good job KristianH

Ikkyu
21st May 2006, 12:12 AM
Nice work:) thumbs up ash can be a beautiful wood for bokkens. Just one thing about the finish you use pure tung oil is great but never use wax on the handle the handle of a bokken should be nice and smooth so you hands can move across the handle with ease i use organoil danish or hard burnishing oil anything that leaves a gloss finish on the handle is no good your hands will rub and get sore. And as for the curve (sori) of a bokken is a matter of style some styles are straight like kashima shinto ryu and a few other schools then some have very little curve like Iwama ryu which is used in most Aikido schools. But some people train with bokkens custom made to what they like. Great job there makes me wanna get my handtools out now and start carving :D

Alistair

zenwood
21st May 2006, 10:18 AM
Nice work Kristian. Bokkens are ideal projects for spokeshave work -- very satisfying taking of those looooong shavings.

I've made a few of these, most of mine had tsubas, and were fiddly to fit. Be interested to see what you come up with.

KristianH
3rd June 2006, 10:01 AM
I have a question for anyone who practices kendo or swordsmenship : what is the ideal point of balance. My bokken has a 1' 1/2 long hilt ( I like a big grip:p ) , the overall length is 42 1/4 , the thickness is 1 1/8 , the width is 1 1/2 and the point of balance is 6'' from the hilt. Does this sound ideal for a bokken or should I somehow change the balance ( if so how do I?)

CameronPotter
3rd June 2006, 11:31 AM
I have a question for anyone who practices kendo or swordsmenship : what is the ideal point of balance. My bokken has a 1' 1/2 long hilt ( I like a big grip:p ) , the overall length is 42 1/4 , the thickness is 1 1/8 , the width is 1 1/2 and the point of balance is 6'' from the hilt. Does this sound ideal for a bokken or should I somehow change the balance ( if so how do I?)

I don't know about kendo, but it is far too blade heavy for a good western style sword. That is why they used massive pommels - to better distribute the weight (and the percussion resonance points).