PDA

View Full Version : History of Box Making

NeroBass
20th May 2006, 01:01 PM
Hello

This is my 1st post on the site :D looking forward to being an active member ... anyway to my story. I’m currently in year 12 and half way though my senior project. I have decided to make a largish blanket box with a veneer check pattern. I have completed a total design folio that i received an A for but i now have a research assignment that relates to our project/ folio i have decided to research man-made materials and wish to include information on the history of box making. if only briefly so that i can develop the idea of materials and how they have changed over the years from primarily timber to almost anything to-day such as fibreglass, sheet metal, man-made boards etc.. so if anyone has quality websites or resources about the history of either materials or the history of box making please let me know it would be mush appreciated.

if anyone would like to view my folio i would be more than happy to share the plans + the research etc.. ;-) it ended up being a few thousand words over the limit :-P

Regards

NeroBass
21st May 2006, 05:49 PM
so im guessing no one has any idea on the history or the history is to blured and therfore not much info exists.. i'll keep hope

Ova'N'Out

Sculptured Box
21st May 2006, 06:26 PM
NeroBass

I guess I am like everyone else - I have not seen any historic material on box making to fit your needs. There is a wealth of information on old tools if that is any help?

Tony Ward

NeroBass
21st May 2006, 06:56 PM
haha yer well seeing as i could not find any infomation i have changed my area of study to tools so i would greatly appreciate any input you have about how boxes were made in the early 20 centuary:)

**i will upload my design folio later so you can all see what im working on :)

zenwood
21st May 2006, 07:43 PM
Nero: "History of box making" sounds like far too broad a topic. I'm glad you narrowed it down to "Box making in the 20 century". But I'd still recommend you narrow it down a bit more: it'll make your job easier, and you can focus on what actually interests you.

Would be very interested in seeing your design work. (Word docs and jpegs can be posted directly onto the site.) Maybe seeing your folio will help us know how to help you.

NeroBass
21st May 2006, 08:32 PM
yer i have to analyse the tools i used in my design and then compare them to the traditional tools used including positives and negatives.. then i have to say how the chnges in tools ahve impacted on the manufaturing industry especially Box Making

I will post my Design Soon its on the other computer currently being used by someone lol.. stay posted

NeroBass
21st May 2006, 09:03 PM
Here is the design Folio. I have to say i would hate to think somone will use this to copy. i do not mind if someone wishes to do a similar project at home etc but not if someone is being assesed :D that said here it is http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/jrhoades/TECH-DESIGN-FOLIO%20I%202006.doc

23 pages and 5880 words :P

Sculptured Box
22nd May 2006, 08:12 AM
NeroBass

Here is the address for the Traditional Tools Group in NSW, their page contains a wealth of information regarding other traditional tool sites.

http://www.tttg.org.au/php/tttg_Page.php?n=11

Hope this helps

Tony Ward

zenwood
22nd May 2006, 09:48 AM
Had a flip through your design document, Nero: very impressed with the work you put into it and the quality of the presentation. Well done.

It just struck me that perhaps the greatest volume and capital investment in box-making in the 20th century was commercial packaging using cardboard. I once knew someone who worked in a factory that made the machines that make cardboard boxes. The company was Bobst, and I'm sure the website will offer much information:

http://www.bobstgroup.com/Global/Corporate/en/

A letter to them explaining your project might get you more historical material.

labolle
22nd May 2006, 04:27 PM
I just tried that and found several items you might find interesting. Maybe once you know the titles you are interested in, you might find them in your local library.

Good Luck.

Ecca
22nd May 2006, 07:08 PM
Hi Nerobass,
The other night I attended a woodies meeting on the far south coast NSW and saw a demo given by a superb box maker. Try emailing [email protected]. Ibelieve he has a long history of box making.
regards Ecca:cool: