PDA

View Full Version : My first "critter" pen

dai sensei
20th May 2006, 06:17 PM
This is the first of my “critter” :D pens I am trying out using my new scroll saw and casting resin (got the idea from FXST (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?p=300554#post300554):) ). I eventually want to make pens with frogs, geckos, dragons etc just for something different:cool: .

I started the spider with 2 holes for the head and body, then used the scroll saw for the legs to a maximum width of 7mm, then filled it all with black resin. After it had set I drilled a hole through the resin body and filled it with red resin. (I use Diggers casting resin and colour it with pigments from solidsolutions (http://www.solidsolutions.com.au/cat_main.htm) ). The first photo is the blank with the spider cast.

When I drilled the hole for the sleeve I must have been off centre:o because when I turned it the legs on one side joined up:mad: as shown on the second photo. I was about to throw it out and start again when I thought, the pen clip will cover that:rolleyes: , so I finished it.

The last photos are of the spiders (each side). As the red resin is transparent, there is a depth to the hole and reflection off the sleeve in the sunlight:cool: , making it better IMHO than just a red blob (as you would get with paint). The timber is Tibouchina Noeleen and the finish is my favourite Shellewax/EEE/Glow all from ubeaut (http://www.ubeaut.com.au/ubhome.htm).

I just ordered some more smaller pinless blades from carrols (http://cws-store.yahoostore.com.au/) so I can get stuck into the other critters.

Cheers

Jim Carroll
20th May 2006, 06:35 PM
Good to be able to see what you are talking about.
Nice work adds that something extra to a pen.
Hope the spider does not scare of too many of the girls.

RufflyRustic
20th May 2006, 06:53 PM
Hi Neil,

Pretty amazing work and while I'm not partial to spiders, I still think it stands out beautifully on the pen. Just think, people are finally going to stop stealing your pens :D

cheers
Wendy

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th May 2006, 07:29 PM
So... when do you start taking orders? ;):D

dai sensei
20th May 2006, 07:43 PM
Just think, people are finally going to stop stealing your pens :D

Hmm - that reminds me ...:D :D :D

Thanks for the advise on the blades Jim, look forward to playing some more when they get here.

Skew - Normally I don't make pens to sell, although I have sold quite a few to work mates neighbours and friends (@$20 a pen). I mainly make them just for gifts or swap for other things. The spider is more interesting and they might fetch a decent price, making it more worth while, if I ever get the time:o

ele__13
20th May 2006, 08:37 PM
Good to be able to see what you are talking about.
Nice work adds that something extra to a pen.
Hope the spider does not scare of too many of the girls.

Neil ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww no thanks i dodnt like spiders kakkki but post pics when u have froggy's an gekko's
they do look good but ewwwwww cheers jules

ss_11000
21st May 2006, 09:39 PM
great pen,

soundman
21st May 2006, 11:13 PM
Snakes wouldn't be too hard, combine resinn colours & perhaps some matal powder & yo could have something special.

red/yello belly black..... copperhead....... bronze

dai sensei
22nd May 2006, 09:56 PM
Snakes wouldn't be too hard, combine resinn colours & perhaps some matal powder & yo could have something special.

red/yello belly black..... copperhead....... bronze

Good idea Soundman. I have been putting a few critter shapes together to see what looks best, keeping in mind they can only be 7mm wide. I have a frog, gecko, praying mantis, grass hopper, bat, dragon - a bat looks the best so far. A snake is another good one - copper headed cobra?

I'll make a few (when I can - could take a while) and post some pics to see what you lot think they are worth.

Cheers

Ikkyu
22nd May 2006, 10:11 PM
dai sensei,
Hey nice work mate I'd love to see the other critters like the bat that would be cool.

Alistair

bdar
22nd May 2006, 11:26 PM
Neil why don't you try using Mount Blancs, American, Atlas/Polaris or Cigars from CWS for you bigger critters or you have the JR Gent from Carb-a-tec you could use for a bigge barrel. For you Alistair,
Many paths lead from the foot of the mountain,
But at the peak
We all gaze at the
Single bright moon.
Ikkyu (1394-1481) "Skeletons"

CameronPotter
23rd May 2006, 10:20 AM
Try the polaris, nice fat pen, looks good too.

I think that you have done a great job with the redback. Better than the original post that I saw of this technique! Greenie locked on and firing...

(But his also had a web on the bottom part of the pen which was cool).

I look forward to seeing a whole range of critterpens. :D

dai sensei
23rd May 2006, 09:38 PM
Neil why don't you try using Mount Blancs, American, Atlas/Polaris or Cigars from CWS for you bigger critters or you have the JR Gent from Carb-a-tec you could use for a bigge barrel.

Good idea. I like my dragons, but at 7mm the detail is lost and they look lousy, a bigger barrel will help.

Thanks Cam, web for the spider, sounds like another good idea.

CameronPotter
24th May 2006, 11:08 AM
Go to www.penturners.org (http://www.penturners.org) to see the original pen design (it is in an article on the front page).

Cam

dai sensei
24th May 2006, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the link Cam, presented a heap of ideas for me.

CameronPotter
25th May 2006, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the link Cam, presented a heap of ideas for me.

Makes me wish I had a scrollsaw... ;) :D