PDA

View Full Version : still practising

tonysa
21st May 2006, 12:26 AM
Proportions are out of wack, but had some huon i wanted to practise on, so resawed some red gum firewood and came up with this odd looking thing.

Jointer and GMC thicknesser for the resawn redgum, thicknesser for the huon pine, el cheapo drop saw for the mitres, lots of sanding, 2 coats Rustins DO followed by Trad wax and this is what came out.
Can only get better from here, either that or I stick with pens.

Bit of a shame to post it here with the wonderful boxes you guys come up with

I was going to rout the top and put in fancy wedges to add strength to the edges, and other neat stuff but that'll come with the next box, or the one after, or the one after. Lots of mistakes with this one but learning as we go, thats why I didn't do any elaborate bits.

TonySA

labolle
21st May 2006, 12:50 AM
I don't see any mistakes and it looks A LOT cleaner than my first box.

Congratulations.

KRH
21st May 2006, 07:30 AM
Box making continues to take over the world. Fancy converting a pen maker :eek:.

I'm a newbie to this craft as well and your box is excellent. Please keep them coming.

KRH

arose62
21st May 2006, 09:04 AM
Looks good to me!:)

As per the proportions; either find something that needs a box that capacity, or IMHO you could slice it in half (heightwise), put two bottoms on, use the existing redgum bottom as a top, and have a pretty impressive matching pair.

Don't stop at 1, look forward to seeing the next one!

I'm particularly heartened by the "el cheapo drop saw for the mitres" throw away comment - I've got no excuse now for not trying this!

Cheers,
Andrew

Wardy
21st May 2006, 09:47 AM
Don't too hard on yourself Tonysa, you did a great job on the box.
Cheers Wardy

zenwood
21st May 2006, 10:09 AM
No need to call that practise: it is a real-life beautiful box. Love the clean lines, choice of timbers, and finish. Greenie on way.

2 questions: How did you fix the bottom, and how did you clamp the mitres during glue-up?

tonysa
21st May 2006, 12:39 PM
thats for your comments
from that i'll take heart and try some more

i used a $50 ozito 8 1/4 inch drop saw with finer (40 tooth) blade it didn't come up too bad. I wanted a finer blade but decided wasn't worth spending the money at this stage.

i like the idea of chopping it in half and make matching pair, but that'll have to wait until the TS arriveth. The family like the box so much they may not let me take it back into the shed LOL.

Hi Zenwood, tnx for comments (and the greenie) :). Bottom was also rebated on router same as top (have to be very careful routing huon pine, tends to tear) and fixed with a very thin line of PVA. The mitres were held together with one of those webbing picture frame clamps. Just had to be very careful to keep it all square, and even then i think it was slightly out. I'll have to devise some other means next time.

Cheers
Tony

DPB
21st May 2006, 03:52 PM
Nice start, Tony. Nothing wrong with this for a first. I didn't show anyone my first few boxes.:o

The craft of box making requires most of the skills used in creating furniture pieces. In some respects it's more demanding due to the small scale and the therefore more obvious nature of mistakes.

Be proud!;)

Auld Bassoon
21st May 2006, 06:10 PM
Looks good to me Tony!

Well done for a first box.

BTW, sometimes less is more :)

RufflyRustic
21st May 2006, 08:34 PM
Hi Tony

I think your box is beautiful. Love the contrast and the proportions are fine. I especially love the sheen that is visible in the photos.

Well Done! Certainly beats my first box :D

Cheers
Wendy

ss_11000
21st May 2006, 10:12 PM
nice box....better than my first ( and only ) box

tonysa
22nd May 2006, 12:26 AM
The craft of box making requires most of the skills used in creating furniture pieces. In some respects it's more demanding due to the small scale and the therefore more obvious nature of mistakes.

Be proud!;)

Ain't that the truth !
Can't even get away with 0.5mm, shows up like .... well, you know what.
Totally different set of rules to constructional stuff where a couple of mm is neither here nor there and can be easily disguised or judicious application of BFI (brute force and ignorance).

Cheers

Tony