PDA

View Full Version : Wind Tree Copy Box 6

Babytoolman
21st May 2006, 10:57 AM
Hi All,
Here is my version of the plan Wind Tree out of Building Beautiful Bandsaw Boxes written by Lois Keener Ventura. It is on page 6.
I noticed once i finished it that i had not done the chin correctly. It is 15.9cm 147.3cm

What do you think i am still trying to get the seams thinner and i want to get the front edges rolled over further.

ptc
21st May 2006, 11:23 AM
Roger.
What,s that in inches ? how deep is it.
it looks good to me.
What saw are you using. the saw appears to be the secret.
your entry cut is very difficult to see.
Tony my have some good advice.
I'm still on one draw stuff.
12a and 12b are art noveau (Not sure on spelling).

zenwood
21st May 2006, 12:55 PM
I'd be tempted to take a file and bevel the front edges of the drawers to try to get a more even gap all around the drawers. Or file the frame as well to get a more rounded look. Maybe tone down the high-gloss finish too. Just some thoughts from someone yet to have a go at one of these.

What was the timber, BTW?

Sculptured Box
21st May 2006, 01:07 PM
Babytoolman

Good work. Did you have any difficulty with gluing the bandsaw Entry Points?

I guess it is a matter of personal choice as to whether the outer edge of the cabinet should be rounded over. For mine I would extend the round over from the front and rear towards the centre line of the cabinet. This will significantly alter the appearance of the box.

As p.t.c. would say "another Innovation"!

Well done,

Tony Ward

RufflyRustic
21st May 2006, 08:35 PM
Well Done! That doens't look like an easy one to do, but it's turned out really well!

Cheers
Wendy

ROB NZ
23rd May 2006, 09:09 PM
Hi Babytoolman,

Recognising my novice status may I comment as follows.

Congratulations on your effort with what I think is one of Ventura's more difficult designs. You seem to have matched the strong grain of the wood to the shape. (Which is intended to represent a wind bent tree, for those who don't know the book).

What attracted me generally to Ventura's book and designs was the organic and smoothly flowing shapes. (I will never have to use a combination square again!!) I think your version would be enhanced by rounding out all the sharp edges by judicious use of a drum sander or similar. I think you will find that the curves of the box shapes will then be enhanced

Perhaps the camera flash has over-accentuated the gloss in the finish, but I would go for a low sheen matt finish myself.

With best wishes,

ROB NZ

Babytoolman
24th May 2006, 08:54 AM
Hi all,
Thank you for the feedback. I found something in all your comments and i am on number 7 and i will try and incorporate these ideas. My trouble is finishing i am not great in that area so i am going to have to ask for ideas around finishing but i will start a new thread for that.

Again thanks.