PDA

View Full Version : Exposed TS blades

BobL
21st May 2006, 11:59 PM
I'm interested to know from the members that remove their TS guards either for short or long term purposes if they do anything temporary to protect themselves (and the TS blade) when the TS is not in immediate use? I've seem to remember someone, Greenie?, that showed a photo that seem to show what looked like a large painted wooden block over the blade.

Any ideas on this (short of putting the guard back on! and/or a drop down guard) would be much appreciated.

Thanks

chrisb691
22nd May 2006, 08:13 AM
I lower the blade after every use, guard or not.

bitingmidge
22nd May 2006, 08:34 AM
I never use the guard, but before anyone gets excited, I either use Grrr-rippers when ripping or a sled when cross-cutting.

When not in use, the blade is always lowered below the table and a sheet of ply dropped on top of the whole surface.

Cheers,

P

BobL
22nd May 2006, 10:42 AM
Drop the blade! - too simple.

Markw
22nd May 2006, 12:43 PM
Blade stays up, but off goes the power. I don't work on the TS table. I have a work bench for that.

Simomatra
22nd May 2006, 01:57 PM
Drop the blade below the table and cover the entire table. Switch off the isolator at the wall

soundman
1st June 2006, 11:00 PM
I will usualy only use the table saw without the overhead guard if I am doing non thru sawing, like cutting the lids off boxes ( often boxes big enough to put a body or two in).
I have modified the overhead guard so thet it can be retracted far enough to give me clearance. when I hinish I just loosen the locking screw and the dust extraction pipes push the guard back over the blade.

My machine also has a riving knife which I wouldn't be without.
I have never run the machine witout a riving knife.

cheers