PDA

View Full Version : a compass question

bitofascallywag
22nd May 2006, 08:21 AM
recently a freind bought a big old flash bronze compass with a bit of a mystery to it......instead of e for east it has o for where east should be ?it was suggested that o is the letter instead of e in some european countries.any ideas anyone.

Simomatra
22nd May 2006, 09:36 AM
My only suggestion is that it stands for orient which in some cases loosely means east http://www.ubeaut.biz/captain.gif

Zed
22nd May 2006, 09:44 AM
Hi,

The German language uses the work "Osten" for East.

Suden is south
Norden is north
Westen is west

thus the other 3 cardinal points are as english but east obviously is "wrong" :D

Simomatra
22nd May 2006, 09:59 AM
Hi,

The German language uses the work "Osten" for East.

Suden is south
Norden is north
Westen is west

thus the other 3 cardinal points are as english but east obviously is "wrong" :D

Did some more research after Zed's post and yes it is common for the German compass to be marked with O for East.

Well done Zed

Zed
22nd May 2006, 10:07 AM
Well done Zed

Bitte mien Herr, der Deutch schpreken is kein problem fur ich.

tchouse

Zed

Disclaimer - ich bin ein auslander, mien Deutch ist Klien.

DanP
22nd May 2006, 10:47 AM
Du bist ein gefickte fotze. :eek:

Stuart
22nd May 2006, 11:01 AM
Das kann sein, aber mindestens er geht in der rechten richtung voran

DanP
22nd May 2006, 11:21 AM

The only German I know is what I said. :rolleyes:

Deutsch zu sprechen, ist nicht meine Spezialität

Zed
22nd May 2006, 11:27 AM
The only German I know is what I said. :rolleyes:

dou you know what you said ? what would your mother think ?:eek:

Zed
22nd May 2006, 11:29 AM
by the way - "har freaking har"

clowns (rolleyes!)

DanP
22nd May 2006, 11:35 AM

"That can be, but at least it goes in the right direction ahead"

I'm guessing the translator is a bit off? :confused:

Zed
22nd May 2006, 11:41 AM
"That can be, but at least it goes in the right direction ahead"

I'm guessing the translator is a bit off? :confused:

he means, you imbicile, he may be the beared clam you cleverly called him in german, but at least he is correct. :D

DanP
22nd May 2006, 11:47 AM
by the way - "har freaking har"

Zed ist ein alberner kleiner Affe;)

Zed
22nd May 2006, 11:50 AM
Zed ist ein alberner kleiner Affe;)

red one on its way flatfoot! ;)

DanP
22nd May 2006, 11:56 AM
Ist gefickt :p

silentC
22nd May 2006, 12:00 PM
AIRCRAFT---Der Fliegenwagen

PROPELLER---Der Airfloggen Pushenthruster

ENGINE---Der Noisenmaken Pistonpusher Das Turnens Der Airfloggenfan Pushenthruster

CONTROL COLUMN---Der Pushenpullen Bankenyanken Schtick
JET ENGINE---Der Schreemen Skullschplitten Firespitten Smokenmaken Airpushbacken Thrustermaker Mit Compressorsqueezn Und Turbinespinnen Bladenrotors.(made by Pratt & Whitney).

RUDDER PEDALS---Der Tailschwingen Yawmaken Werks

PILOT---Der Pushenpullen Bankenyanken Tailschwingen Werker

STUDENT PILOT---Der Dumbkolf Das Learnen Fliegen Un Hopen To Jobenfinden Mit Der Airlinens

FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR---Der Timenbuilder Mit Less Den 1000 Hrs Multienginefliegen, Teachen Dumbkopfs To Fliegen Vile Waitenwatchen Fer der Letter Mit Der Joboffering Frum United

PARACHUTE---Der Stringencotten Das Est Usen To Floaten Der Tailschwingen Pushenpullen Bankyanken Werker Down To Earthen Ven Der Fliegenwagen Est Kaputen

JET TRANSPORT---Der Muchen Overgrossen Biggenmother Das Ist Fliegen Highenfaster Mit All der Mach Und Flightenlevels

AIRLINE TRANSPORT PILOT---Das Grosse Overpaiden Und Under Werken Whinencomplainer Biggen Schmuck Dat Fliegen Mit Das Big Airlinen

PASSENGER---Der Dumbkoph das Est Strappened en Der Baacken Mit Der Other Dumbkopfs Das Est Expecten To Leave Undgo On Scheduledtimen Und Arriven Mit Der Luggagebags Someplaceneisen

FAA---Der Friggenfliegen Dumbkopf Schmucks Das Maken Alder Rulens Und Regulations

DanP
22nd May 2006, 12:07 PM
Now you're just being silly. :rolleyes:

Ashore
22nd May 2006, 02:30 PM
Proberly the most frustrating job I was ever given was while working in the Techenical Dept to translate ships drawings into English from German this had been an ongoing job for months before I arrived as they had clerks trying to do it who couldn't find the words and didn't know what they were looking at anyway. The company had charted a German built ship and all the drawings were in German , days before computers, internet etc all they had was a the largest english german dictionary they could get note not not German - English But English-German.
The bigest problem was that the technical terms names wern't in the dictonary and the translator service wanted an arm and a leg because of all the techo stuff. Finally got onto a Liberian I knew at the Uni who introduced me to a German Engineering Student with good english skills, couple of BBQ's free beers etc and it was all done.

Point being Slient some of your translations look much the same ,
funny language is German why they don't switch to English beats me its got to be an easy language to learn , theres 4 and 5 year old kids around here that haven't even been to school and they can speak English. :D

Rgds