PDA

View Full Version : Tiles Under Range Hood

pau1
22nd May 2006, 12:51 PM
I'm in the middle of a kitchen reno and currently installing a new range hood. It's one of those 900mm canopy jobs. I'm putting tiles on the wall as the oven splashback and I plan to tile all the way to the roof. The question is can I tile all the way to the roof and then mount the range hood over the tiles or should I mount the range hood and then tile around it? I have putt extra noggins in to support the mounting of the range hood.

Thanks,
Paul

ozwinner
22nd May 2006, 01:23 PM
I would tile first becauase if you change the range hood later on for a different model there will be gaps in the tiles.

Al :)

rod1949
22nd May 2006, 01:38 PM
I would tile first becauase if you change the range hood later on for a different model there will be gaps in the tiles.

Al :)

Right-on

pau1
22nd May 2006, 02:21 PM
My only concern is that the weight of the range hood will put downward presure on the tiles and possibly cause the ones below to bow out. Will this be an issue or as long as the screws go through to the noggins should it be fine?

Sybarite
22nd May 2006, 02:40 PM
I would say put your tiles in first.

The tiles shouldn't really be carrying any (o.k...much) of the range hood load.

As you said, put the screws through to the noggins and you should be fine.

Have Fun,

Earl

renomart
23rd May 2006, 09:28 PM
Doh!!!

pau1
23rd May 2006, 10:32 PM
Now is the best time to see if there is a noggin behind your rangehood fixing points. If not, stick one in now.

As stated, I have already putt extra noggins in to support the mounting of the range hood.