PDA

View Full Version : SkewDazzler

dazzler
22nd May 2006, 05:40 PM
Hey

Heeeeeeeeelp!

I cant use a skew chisel to save myself:mad: .....dont matter if its a big one, little one, round one or whatever.

Watched Raffan using one and still dont understand:rolleyes:

Watched Darlow using one but ended up in a coma;)

Searched on the forum but couldnt find a tutorial:o

How, oh how do u use a skew chisel:confused:

Joining a club would be the answer but I am flat out at work and am pending a move nth soon so just after some info to go and try!
SkewDazzler

Gra
22nd May 2006, 05:43 PM
Thank god for that, when I saw the title, I was expecting some sort of bearded lady hybrid.........:D:D

Sorry cant help with your turning question though.. maybe Skew could help teach you how to use him ;)

Tiger
22nd May 2006, 06:29 PM
Dazzler,

The skew chisel is a ******* to learn but once mastered it is satisfying and versatile so don't give up. The only thing that I can impart to you in words is rub the bevel, the skew like the others depends on that bevel support, without it, you get a nasty catch:mad: . Watch the points of the skew as well ie that they hit the revolving wood unsupported, the rest is easy :D :D .

CameronPotter
22nd May 2006, 06:36 PM
1. Start off with a big one (I think they are easier to use).

2. Mount a bit of wood between centres (but definitely not bowl sized - I learnt that the hard way). To make it easier, true it up first.

3. With the lathe turned OFF, practice introducing the chisel slowly to the wood so that the bevel is rubbing (don't even worry about whether it will cut at this stage).

4. Then once you can do that (rather than introducing it with the edge) SLOWLY bring the chisel down so that if you turn the lathe by hand thin shavings should come off. That is the angle you are aiming for. You may need to play around with the height of the rest. If you touch with the point that is highest, you are doing it all wrong - that will certainly cause a catch. If you touch with the bottom edge the result isn't perfect, but it is not going to catch at least...

NOTE: the angle of the endge of the chisel should be about 45 degrees to the direction that the wood is coming at it.

5. Turn on the lathe and introduce the chisel so that the bevel is rubbing, but not cutting, then slowly move the chisel until you get that lovely shaving you have been looking for...

6. (Optional) Get a nasty catch. Swear horribly. Say, "Skew chisels are the devil's own tool!" Give up. Go inside and have a beer. ;)

7. (Also Optional) After trying all of the above, if you keep on finding yourself getting to stage 6, PM me and we'll see if I can't get you straightened out. :cool:

Cam

Cliff Rogers
22nd May 2006, 07:33 PM
Get a texta or a thick pencil & colour in the bottom 1/3 of the bevel stopping just before the short point.

Hold the sharp edge at 45° to roughed down practice piece.

Place the bevel on the piece at the place that is coloured in.

Slowly raise the handle of the tool until you see a shaving appear.

Slowly advance in the direction of the sharp edge keeping the cut in the coloured area. (shavings come from that area.)

Repeat in the opposite direction.

Repeat over & over again until you can do it with you eyes closed.

I can't explain beads in writing & I find them easier to cut with a bedan that a skew.

ss_11000
22nd May 2006, 07:48 PM
also, you might find it harder to go in different directions when your learning.....or is that just me that found it harder?

ozwinner
22nd May 2006, 07:52 PM
1. Start off with a big one (I think they are easier to use).

Gees, you sound like my missus. :eek:

Al :D

rsser
22nd May 2006, 08:04 PM
Good advice Cam. {Edit: and Cliff}

If memory serves, find Brian Clifford's site for a video clip.

btw, I've learned and forgotten twice; it's a practice thing, but I liked learning with a small one with a blunt angle.

{Edit: Al, I'm not going to go there!}

scooter
22nd May 2006, 10:23 PM
Gees, you sound like my missus. :eek:

Al :D

Ah well, I guess she can dream... :rolleyes: :o

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd May 2006, 11:23 PM
Had me worried for a second there... :D

Beads are simply cut by rolling the skew but, as Cliff said, only use the lower third or half of the edge. About the only time I use the point is when I'm using it to scribe a line... or actively participating in a nasty catch. :rolleyes:

edit: by point, I mean the pointy end of the stick. ie. the "long" point, if you will. ;)

TTIT
23rd May 2006, 12:15 AM
Had me worried for a second there... :D

Beads are simply cut by rolling the skew but, as Cliff said, only use the lower third or half of the edge. About the only time I use the point is when I'm using it to scribe a line... or actively participating in a nasty catch. :rolleyes:
Is THAT where I'm going wrong!:eek::o:eek::o:eek: I renamed my skew to 'variable pitch mono thread chaser' - makes those gouged tracks appear intentional! As long as there's room, I usually use the spindle gouge to cut beads. I've never seen anyone use a skew, live or on video so when I can't fit the spindle in, I've been rolling the short point round to cut beads - almost had the hang of it too!;):rolleyes::cool: I'll give it a try without the point tomorrow.:o:o:o

Cliff Rogers
23rd May 2006, 12:22 AM
No, no, :eek: DO use the short point to roll beads, I just can't tell you how to do it.

Stay away from the point for planing.

Use the long point straight in for marking out.

hughie
23rd May 2006, 01:11 AM
SkewDazzler,
Have a look at the woodcut site as there is a demo video on using various turning tools including mini skews and oval skews

http://www.shop.woodcut-tools.com/media/Turning%20Tools1mbps.swf

hughie

Gil Jones
23rd May 2006, 02:45 AM
SkewDazzler,
At this site, there are four Skew Videos, and several other kinds. http://www.turnwood.net/videos.html

HoutBok
23rd May 2006, 05:01 AM
On issues 18 & 19 of Woodworking at Home Magazine Dick Sing covers skews in a fair amount of detail. See if someone near you can lend the DVDs to you.
They helped me - but his bit on gouges can't have sunk in yet or I have a lousy gouge 'cause that ain't workin'.

dazzler
23rd May 2006, 10:25 PM
Thanks all

just got back from up nth. Tomorrow is "skew day":D

dazzler

Tiger
24th May 2006, 01:03 PM

edit: by point, I mean the pointy end of the stick. ie. the "long" point, if you will. ;)

Cutting beads with the skew is easier with the tip of the short point. When learning how to skew a bead I consulted the "experts" and found Mike Darlow and Keith Rowley use the tip, while Richard Raffan does not use the tip but uses the bit more toward the middle. It can be done in different ways, I guess, but the one constant with all methods is lots of practice.

dazzler
3rd June 2006, 01:02 PM
Hey Hey

Im now ridin the bevel like a rodeo rider.........thanks all:D

rsser
3rd June 2006, 02:30 PM
Guess you mean the guys who stay on!

Well done.

What made the difference?

dazzler
3rd June 2006, 05:17 PM
Thanks Ern

Just went with everyones advice. Confidence also and a better understanding of how different it cuts compared to a gouge that you can just go in no worries.

Now practice practice on bits of pine.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
3rd June 2006, 06:23 PM
Once you can constantly get good cuts on crapiata then you're well on your way to mastering the skew. Being soft & coarse, I find it the most prone to dig-ins if you wander even the slightest out of the "safe" range of angle. (Next worst is Cypress.)

I like to start my "students" on Tas. Oak then slip 'em a bit of pine once they start getting cocky. :D