PDA

View Full Version : Working with the plumber and electrician

Stoo
23rd May 2006, 01:16 AM
Hey All,

I've got a bit of a question about bathroom renovation. Just to set the scene a little. I've ripped out the all the tiles on the floor and walls. I've also removed the water proofing they had in place(some cement sheet with wire embedded in it, paper behind it and small bricks of a similar cement mixture on top, then the tiles the wole thing was over an inch thick and it still leaked! :eek:But I digress). I plan to reseal and tile the bathroom. We're going to put in a new vanity, but need to move some plumbing and have some electrical sockets moved.

I'm unsure about when to get the plumber to set up the new plumbing and get the electrician in to make the changes we want.

I'm worried that if the plumber moves the waste pipe and water pipes for the vanity(assuming he just plonks the vanity in place and measures where to put the pipes from what he sees)that they won't be in the correct position if I get the work done before the tiling is done on the floor and walls so the vanity it in its final position.

Also would it be better to have the villaboard up before the electrician comes in? I assume not as it would restrict access and make the job more difficult but I don't want to call someone out for 10 minutes of work to put the wires in place(pay for the hour), put the board up, cut hole for socket( and tile?), get electrician back in to do another 10 minutes of work(and pay for the whole hour). What is the best way to do this? Where does it fit into the process of tiling too?

I'm probably over complicating things, but I'm REALLY new to this whole renovation thing and am so worried about stuffing it up, and advice would be much appreciated.:(

Stoo

arms
23rd May 2006, 08:03 AM
when you are back to wall studs call in both the lecky and plumber to do rough ins for their future work it may cost a bit now but that will be less than later having them be mucked around fitting around wall sheets

silentC
23rd May 2006, 09:53 AM
Get the plumber in first to do his rough in. You'll need to work out where you want the vanity. Is it a cabinet? If so, location of plumbing isn't that critical, just have to make sure you know what side drawers are on and steer clear of them. The plumber can make adjustments in the kicker space if necessary.

Sparky next, he needs to know pretty accurately where vanity/shower/bath will be because there are regs on how close power points and light switches are allowed to be to these.

Put up your villaboard and waterproof.

Get the floor tiled.

Install the vanity (if it's a cabinet).

Get the skirt/walls/splashbacks tiled.

Get the plumber back.

Get the sparky back.

If it only takes the sparky 10 minutes to do the rough in and another 10 to do the fit out, let me know his number because he's a whizz ;)

Stoo
23rd May 2006, 11:20 AM
Fair call about the 10 minutes. :p

Bugger it, I've wasted more money on materials already that I don't think I'll use so a few extra dollars for the tradesmen not that bigger an issue I guess.

That info is exactly what I was looking for, thankyou so much!