PDA

View Full Version : Puzzle mallet and vice clamp aid

ddeen
23rd May 2006, 01:43 AM
I got the idea to build a mallet from this site (http://www.ilovewood.com/woodworker.htm (http://www.ilovewood.com/woodworker.htm)). The referenced site has a lot of good ideas on traditional woodworking.
<O:p</O:p
I made this mallet cause I thought it looked good and would be a fun weekend project. Turned out that the finished product is well balanced and will be a keeper. I made some minor modifications to the original design to suite my taste. I had to make the handle twice. The first time around I did not boil it long enough and it cracked during the clamping process. Mallet head was cut to dimention using a table saw everything else was done on the darkside. I would like to give this to my brother and make a second one for myself where I apply the lessons I learned in making the first one.
<O:p</O:p
Head Dimensions: 5"
Length from tip of head to tip of handle: 15"
Handle Thickness: 1"
Glue used: Gorilla Water proof glue

Just in case you noticed. I used a 5" vice to clamp to hold my work in progress. I devised a "clamp extension" that works very well. Extension is made of maple that I carved out the back to match the vice mouth. This idea has worked for me in my small shop/budget.

Lignum
23rd May 2006, 02:19 AM
Fantastic effort:D :D Someone else done one here a month or so ago but didnt do the center tennon like you did. Im impressed. Wouldnt mind one myself:D

zenwood
23rd May 2006, 10:18 AM
Nice job. Most impressive is cutting that very long central mortise with darkside methods.

Why did you have to boil the handle?

ddeen
23rd May 2006, 01:44 PM
Zenwood, thanks for the complement - I just got lucky with cutting the long mortice. The joint is wide on top and narrow at the bottom (entry point). The only way to get the pin to go into the head is to make the bottom tail twice as deep as the top. The pins have to be boiled then bent just enough to fit into the bottom hole. I used bubinga for the handle and it is not very flexible. On my second try I boiled the wood for 35+ minutes before I could feel it start to flex.

ddeen
23rd May 2006, 02:39 PM
forgot to add picture to help explain...

damienhazo
2nd June 2006, 04:27 AM
Very impressive!